1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Michael Doyle

Discussion in 'Sheffield United' started by canaryislandblade, Jan 25, 2011.

1. canaryislandblade

canaryislandblade New Member

Just wondered how you think Doyle will fit into the team and at who's expense, any feedback from Cov fans welcome.

2. Crunchy-Nut Blade

Crunchy-Nut Blade New Member

Hello canaryislandblade, doyle looks to me a direct replacement for leon britton another defensive midfielder, his experience may help the young back four but I'm not certain what his role will be with us blades.

3. canaryislandblade

canaryislandblade New Member

thanks crunchy-nut, hopefully get a couple more experienced players in then hope Micky can get them to gel pretty quickly.

4. TrevorHockeysRazor

TrevorHockeysRazor New Member

My understanding is that he's a tough tackling midfielder, low on creativity and skill, but high on determination and attitude. If that's correct then it's obvious what role he has been brought in to do. Our midfield is lightweight as I'm sure you know. So, he's been brought in to put some steel into that department, to rough other teams up a bit, to fight tooth and nail to win the ball. The nearest thing we have to him right now would be Monty I suppose.

I think this type of player is needed - especially when you are in a dogfight for survival. So, I fully understand Adams bringing him in. He obviously knows him and knows what he can get from him. That's good enough for me.

It still leaves us short of a good creative midfielder though. With Reid and Britton gone we could do with someone who can hold onto the ball and pick out some killer passes. Williamson is the nearest thing to this but he is not reliable as he is too injury prone.

Michael Tonge anyone?

5. eastlondonblade

eastlondonblade New Member

I'd be reluctant to have Tonge - there always seems to be something about re-signing players who were once great. It's been a long time since his best days at United and when we sold him I thought it was the right decision as his form deteriorated. Nostalgia should not motivate signings, quality should (and of course cash!) and I'm not sure Tonge would produce again. That said, if he did come back, I'd certanly get behind him and hope he could bring some creativity to the side.

UTB.

6. TrevorHockeysRazor

TrevorHockeysRazor New Member

that's one of the most objective, fair and balanced responses I've ever seen to the suggestion of Tonge returning. Normally it makes people blow a fuse when it is raised.

I know what you mean about players coming back. I'm not a big fan of that either. It's something I've always felt would be a mistake for me personally - to go back to somewhere I once worked and expect it to be the same. Or even to go back to an ex girlfriend I once bonked and expect it to be the same.

Times change and things and people move on. Circumstances can't be the same over again. Enjoy what you got while you got it I suppose.

Tell you what, there aren't many players down there at the moment that I'll miss if they leave!