1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Message to any and all Glos CCC Fans

Discussion in 'County Cricket' started by GasheadinChelt, Jun 9, 2011.

1. GasheadinChelt

Hello one and all,

Well I've finally made it over from the 606 site. I've been down to Nevil Road to see a couple of games this season - the CB40 against Glamorgan and Sunday's T20 against Sussex. I have to admit I've been encouraged by what I've seen and by what I've read. I'm hoping to get down to the Gloucester Cricket Festivasl tomorrow and should be there Saturday (weather permitting).

On the 606 I mooted the point of a bunch of us Gloucestershire CCC contributors meeting up on the first day of the Cheltenham Festival for a beer and chat about why we love the Shire. If any of you are up for it would enjoy meeting people like Peter de Meteor, Lydney Bob, Fordy 62, Chrisfrom Stroud, Pirate 49 and all the others who've shared their views on the club over the years. Anyone up for it?

2. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

See you there....hopefully.
    Marcus North is no longer in the Australian squad,,,,we could use him!

3. ChrisfromStroud

ChrisfromStroud New Member

[1] Prefer 606v2. Much easier to find your way around.
    [2] But more importantly, where's LBob?

4. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What does everyone make of the season so far?

It's a tough call. The start of the season was better than most of us expected. Will Gidman was a revelation. He could not make it as a Durham regular, so has he suddenly come good or is it more an indication of a gulf in quality between the two divisions?
    Norwell is a fine prospect, but can he stay fit? In appearance he has a little of the Kirby about him.
    Gidman senior is showing more life in the field and as a captain, but his batting is still woefully inconsistent.
    Young seems to be edging out Banerjee, unless one is seen as a short game player and the other for the CC.
    Chris Taylor has found a bit of form, but his place in the field puzzles me. We all know his qualities at cover point/point/gulley, but he is fielding in all sorts of places now.
    Dent bats with confidence and has some fine shots. If he can develop his defensive play he could become a mainstay of the team.
    Coughtrie is no better or worse than Batty, but as he is younger and,hopefully, will continue to improve, I hope we persist with him....but we're missing Snell!
    Until his innings the other day I thought Cockbain just wasn't good enough. He may be one of those players who can score for fun in the 2nd XI or for a local club but may not have the final 1%
    Saxelby is coming on. He bowled like a drain in the first game at Gloucester, but then improved for the game v Surrey. Perhaps more suited to the CC.
    Lewis is Mr. Reliable. Still grumpy at times, but, fair play, he knows how to get wickets.
    Payne looks good against run-of-the-mill players, but the better ones sort him out.
    Marshall needs to put successive big scores together. He's not failing, but we expect more.
    Williamson is going to be a class act...he plays very correctly.
    Wade and Fuller...who knows? Jack Taylor won't get much of a look-in with Williamson, Young and Banerjee around.
    O'Brien and Muralitheran have been signed to get people through the turnstiles. They ain't gonna significantly influence our season.
    So for me the jury's still out. The team is fragile and I would say we still need a quality batsman. Marcus North anyone?

5. GasheadinChelt

Good article Pirate. I think we've done better than expect in the 4 day game. I actually bet a mate we wouldn't win a single 4 day game and I had to cough up after week 1 of the season! I'm somewhat disappointed with our CB40 performances and in the T20 we have to be honest been woefully unspectacular in my view.

I think the youngsters have by and large come to the party and put in soem creditable performances. I still think the major weakness is still in the batting. Yes Taylor is beginning to look like he's getting back to the form he showed in his early years, but Gidman Snr & Marshall still don't convert the starts into enough big scores. I know we've had more 100's this season already than we had last year but they're still not playing to their ability.

Marcus North is a good shout but I think a bettr bet would be Simon Katich - I think he'd relish the chance to raise 2 fingers to the ACB.

6. GasheadinChelt

Sorry I've been away - had some PC problems. Hopefully see you all later at the festival today. I'll be wearing a faded blue fedora and brown jacket, drinking lemonade in the public bar around lunchtime today for any and all who want to get together.

7. malctalk

malctalk New Member

not many on the site i see......................but see we have lost lewis for next year, nice ground !!! no team i feel