1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mensah - Head or Heart??

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by FTM1973, Jan 27, 2011.

1. FTM1973

FTM1973 Active Member

Whilst awaiting confirmation of the 2 new lads, and reading one of the previous posts re the African Cup of Nations I got to thinking about the Rock of Gibraltar that is John Mensah...... What do you all think? Retain either via another loan or permanent bid (not sure how long he's got left on his Lyon contract), or say on yer way, your too much like a tampon (in for one, out for three).
    On one hand, when I listen to my heart, I think he's gotta stay, he's the best centre half I've ever seen play for us at the SOL or Roker Park for that matter.
    However, when I listen to my head I think 10 games(or there abouts) in a season doesn't justify paying his wages.

Discuss !

2. InBruceWeTrusted

Great guy to have around the club by the sounds of it, I say another loan or I would defo pay 2million or so for him. Sounds like the whole team likes him and hes a good leader ona nd off the pitch.

Lets see how he returns after the latetst injury, he may play a big part in the remainder of the season.

3. Hairyhaggis

Hairyhaggis Well-Known Member

Supposedly I heard before we took hum on loan the second time, that he could have an operation on his body part that's the root cause of all his problems (his knee I think) and he would be out for a year. BUT he would come back from it fit and ready to rip Andy Carroll a new arsehole in the 2011/2012 season derbies.

I think we shouldn't do anything until he is back from his op, but I like mensah, he would be just what bramble needs to keep his composure, even as a mentor.

4. ShenleyRnW

ShenleyRnW New Member

^^^^^This. I would seriously consider signing him with a view to offering him a role as a defence coach. He also has a lot of respect from African players and I am sure has played some part in some of our recent signings, Gyan, Muntari. I think its worth a gamble.

5. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Well-Known Member

Think he has a congenital spine problem. Would need back surgery to completely repair and would be lost for a year.

6. Dyno

Dyno Member

I love Mensah, he might not play much, but the ones he does play in, you know your practically guaranteed a clean sheet, hes class

7. SJ_39

SJ_39 New Member

Mensah is too good to get rid of, quality guy I hope we sign him permanently

8. bald-in-guelph

He's a wonderful player but doesn't play anywhere near enough to justify the sort of fee that his club are demanding.

9. Wherewereyou

Wherewereyou Guest

It's such a shame that he's so injury prone, and it doesn't seem to be the same thing each time. Love him to stay, though.

10. Dyno

Dyno Member

Can he not retire then get the contract cancelled after a month come out of retirement and play for us? :emoticon-0116-evilg:emoticon-0116-evilg

11. Dyavvy

Dyavvy Member

...just before I left 606 I said if we have all three we`d have one who`s Ghana stop them....one who`s Ghana mack them....and one who`s Ghana score them...Keep them together...Dyavvy

12. FTM1973

FTM1973 Active Member

<applause>

13. Dyno

Dyno Member

It proves what us SAFC fans think of Mensah, you see how much hes injured and we still love him.......get him signed

14. Dyavvy

Dyavvy Member

Sometimes youve just got to have blind faith...I was on a London train in May 1973...heading towards the game..The Leeds supporters were comfortably saying how they were going to murder us...an old Sunderland supporter unsteady on his feet listened and brought a coin out of his pocket... leant forward....and said...."heres a bob get ya sel a black armband.....Of all my memories of that great day....Thats the most vivid...........Dyavvy

15. pauloc1981

pauloc1981 Member

both head and heart say sign him mate! he is truly world class, worth having in and around the team for the rest of the players.

16. Dyavvy

Dyavvy Member

What I was trying to say...is its easy to get tied into money and statistics.....sometimes youve got to go with your gut.....look at how Redknap has manged Ledley King.....If you knew how well your team mates were looked after would you want to stay at the SOL????.....Recruitment is an issue at Sunderland.....Come here and if you can play we`ll look after you....

17. BlackCatFan

BlackCatFan New Member

a think alot of people have said over the past year or so, that if this guy wasnt a sick note, then he would be playing for big european teams, he is that good. dont think ive ever seen a defender so calm as him when he is on the ball, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this health issue's and get him & TB playing together, we would then have an amazing centre half pairing.

18. bald-in-guelph

BlackCatFan is absolutely right. Mensah is the best defender that I've ever seen playing for us, but the facts are that were he fit and free from injury we wouldn't have him at all. Unfortunately he has played even less this season than last. I love the bloke but it doesn't make any sense if he isn't playing. That's why we have ended up footing the wages bill. Lyons know the score with him otherwise they wouldn't loan the guy out for 2 full seasons if they thought he was going to play much.

19. In Bruce I Trust

In Bruce I Trust New Member

i whould sign him

20. Mackemneil

Mackemneil Member

Man U now have a similar problem with Ferdinand (his back) that limits the number of games he can play. Spurs have a similar problem with King. Don't see them getting rid of either, when they are fit they play and are surrounded by very good replacements in the squad. For me, without doubt - SIGN HIM!