1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mbokani

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Rob, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Anyone have any thoughts from his brief cameo?

I thought he looked strong, quick and had great movement. His touch was also ok given that he hasn't played much. Thought he definitely should have done better having got in front of his defender for that cross, so still concerned that he isn't the clinical finisher that we actually really need! But hopefully with game time he's got room to improve. He certainly seemed to have enough to be competitive in this league.

2. yarco canary

yarco canary Well-Known Member

Early impressions looked good.

Lot of pace and strong runner.Certainly a better option than Grabban
    or Hooper at this time.

3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Reminded me of Didier Drogba :biggrin:

K E M P likes this.
  4. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

Doesn't look too dissimilar to Gomis. I'm glad to see we're taking the Swansea and Everton model of; get the biggest, quickest, scariest player you can and then let all the skilful plays set them up.

I think if Mbokani can get a run of games the goals will come. I still think Jerome is number 1 though.

DHCanary likes this.
  5. Canary Rob

If Jerome keeps playing like he did on Saturday, I agree. He bottled a couple of decent half chances, but finished it when it mattered and his workrate was phenomenal. One of the Sky commentators said no-one in the Premier League works harder than Jerome and, frankly, I think that is true.

oldcanariesfan likes this.
  6. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Agreed for now. I know he's not particularly clinical, but after his goal and his general link-up play on Saturday I think it's fairly safe to say he'll be our first choice for the Liverpool game.

7. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

All of a sudden Hooper looks surplus to requirements as he does not have the pace.

8. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are you being serious, Rob? According to the BBC match report, Mbokani Bezua :emoticon-0112-wonde came on after 82 minutes, which is correct. If you really think that someone new to this country, never mind this league is going to hit top form within 8 (eight!) frickin' minutes, then it is indeed Utopia you inhabit!

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  9. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

What would Naismith have brought to the team that Hooper doesn't already offer? It would appear that AN prefers the big lone striker a la Mbokani so Naismith may have not got many starts which he claims he would have got had he left Everton for NCFC.

10. Canary Rob

I don't think that was quite what I said Cromer! I meant I was giving him the benefit of the doubt given he'd played so little football - his touch and movement looked great in the circumstances of just eight minutes.

All I meant is that whether he's a clinical finisher remains an open question - don't think too much can be read into that cameo even though he spurned a couple of half chances <ok>

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Well, if you look at the two statements I highlighted, you said "he hasn't played much" followed by "he isn't the clinical finisher we need" - my point was to try and judge anybody, in whatever position, who is new to the club after an 8 minute cameo, and decide whether they're the 'real deal' or not is a flawed way of going about things <ok>

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Got a good feeling about Bonk, looks a real beast to me <ok>

13. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

All of a sudden !!!!!! Some of us thought he's been surplus to requirements for a while, along with Grabban.

THURNBY YELLOW likes this.
  14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Yes, both him and Jerome are well equipped to deal with the upgraded service they're likely to receive in the box if Jarvis / Brady, Redmond and Wessi all fire at the same time! <yikes>

15. Canary Rob

Sorry Cromer, I think we're misunderstanding each other - if you read my post above I was simply saying did anyone have any immediate views? Mine were that his touch looked ok (I actually said "deft" on the match day thread) despite the fact that "he hasn't played much" - so you're taking me out of context there. The second statement I accept wasn't clear, but my point was simply that I think the key to him being good for us is being more clinical than what we've got and that on the tiny evidence we have so far, you can't say one way or another and on that basis I'm going to reserve judgement. I think that's fair!

Given I've been one of the more positive posters about Mbokani and on the whole I think my OP is pretty positive about him, I'm surprised it got this response, but it's not always easy to convey exactly what you mean just in writing. If only there were ways of enhancing my posts with expressions and hand gestures... <ok>

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Must admit, I nearly made a "hand gesture" when I first clapped eyes on the O.P! <laugh> :emoticon-0105-wink:
    If he gets game time vs Liverpoo on Sunday at least he'll have had a full extra week of training and acclimatisation - a fairer chance to judge his potential worth <ok>

17. RobRoy

RobRoy Member

18. Canary Rob

<laugh> I completely agree - I can assure you that my OP was not meant to imply that I was jumping to any conclusions. In fact, I liked what I saw of Mbokani first up (though I think I might have said the same of Kei Kamara)

19. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

This is what excites me. Even though I am a dreadful pessimist, so don't want that feeling to take hold. I do see so many good points to our team and style that we have a real chance of survival. It will be a battle...But I can see we have enough.

20. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

He sure does look a beast, as does his motor

Mbokani.jpg