1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mauricio Pochettino: Tottenham manager says club must 'take risks' to improve

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, May 14, 2018.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino wants to discuss his future with chairman Daniel Levy, and says the club must "take risks" to improve.

Spurs beat Leicester 5-4 on Sunday to secure a third successive top-three finish in the Premier League.

But the club have not won a trophy since the League Cup in 2008, and have spent less than their top-six rivals.

"If we want to be real contenders for big, big trophies, we need to review a little," Pochettino said.

"First of all, I need to speak with Daniel, then we will know what we are going to do.

"I think it's a moment the club needs to take risks and if possible work harder than the previous season to be competitive again."

Argentine Pochettino, 46, took over at Spurs in 2014 and has led the club to fifth, third, second and third-placed finishes in his four seasons.

But they have spent £184.59m on players in the past two seasons, less than Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool over the same period.

Pochettino has been linked with a move from the club and following their FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester United in April said the club "need more time with me or another".

This season they were knocked out of the Champions League in the last 16 by Juventus.

"I think I have a very clear idea what we need to do; I don't know if the club will be agreeing with me or not," Pochettino said.

"But we are going to talk, next week, to create the new project, or what I think what we need to do, together again, to try to improve.

"That is a little bit up to Daniel of course, to the club, to be happy with us, because after four years I think we need to assess that period.

"I think Daniel is going to listen to me. But you know me and sometimes I have some crazy ideas.

"In this type of situation, with a club with our unbelievable fans, being brave is the most important, and to take risks."

It's interesting that Poch has come out with this to the media, but i have to applaud him for wanting to improve Spurs. It reminds me of us when we were going through the same thing but we chose a safety first approach instead. I believe that if we took some risks in the transfer market, we could have won the PL again in that time. Obviously he's in a tougher situation, facing stiffer competition, but i can't fault him for wanting to change things around and try to improve Spurs when they are going through a stadium change. The PL is so tough nowadays that if you miss a trick you can easily end up out of the top 4, like we found ourselves this season in 6th.

Just imagine if he becomes a candidate for taking over the job at Arsenal? It wouldn't be out of the question especially if the meeting doesn't go well with Levy. I would take Poch in a heartbeat, not only would he greatly improve us but it would almost certainly drop Spurs out of the top 4. Everyone's a winner!

2. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Its a not so subtle hint to the Sp*rs hierarchy that they need to spend to be able to compete with the richest clubs or risk losing everything they have invested. Worth noting that they flirted with dropping out of the top 4 this season (before those last 2 games). I think that they won't be resting quite as easily as they might have been.

3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Yes it went to the wire this season and i can see both Chelsea and Arsenal (providing we get a decent manager in) improving next season. In a way, Poch has a lot of power here as they can't afford to lose a very good manager that has brought stability and consistency to the team. Losing Poch would mean competing with Arsenal and Chelsea in the market and as much as Spurs has improved as a club over the years, the other two are more desirable destinations. Also the top is so competitive that any jolts to the system can be fatal to a smaller club like Spurs. They are already punching above their weight by being above Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in the PL. Throw in the stadium rebuild and Levy would be silly to even contemplate letting Poch go.

4. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

Be up there with the sol Campbell signing... Arsenal do it..

5. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

Real will probably sack Zidane after the Champs League final

6. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Spurs have taken a big risk - they have signed Poch up for another 5 years. If he doesn’t deliver a trophy next season then Spurs will have to pay out a large dose of compensation when they sack Poch

7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yep, Intertrestingly Emeri has only been at Arsenal two days and he's already won as many trophies at Pochettino