1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Matty on loan

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Merino's Ballerina Feet, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Merino's Ballerina Feet

Merino's Ballerina Feet Well-Known Member

I think it’s time Matty went out on load to a decent championship side. It could do him the world of good and he will likely get regular game time.

With rumours of inbound midfielders in January I cannot see the lad getting much game time now.

2. Dr Van Helsing

Dr Van Helsing Well-Known Member

depends what happens after the takeover

3. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don’t agree. I think we only really have 5 central midfielders (Ki, Hayden, Shelvey and 2 Longstaffs). Its the most injury prone and red card/suspension area of any team so think he will see plenty of game time, even if as substitute.
    If we are looking for others in Jan then fair enough but I suspect we will be looking for more strike options then.

Munson. likes this.
  4. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

The think he will get enough game time. Winter is here and injuries rise don’t forget.

5. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

Can’t you keep your copying to the Prediction League only?

Munson. likes this.
  6. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

He's surely ahead of Ki in the pecking order, Shelvey and Hayden often get banned, keep him. He doesn't need to play every game

Flash likes this.
  7. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

We definitely do not have the depth to send him out on loan. Plus we'll probably never see him again and he'll be stuck in that perennial loanee merry-go-round.

Mick O'Toon likes this.
  8. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

If he's made the first 11 on merit then I see no point in loaning him out to teams who will play in a different style and formation.

9. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Would keep both Longstaffs and make sure they got sufficient playing time to continue to develop. Will only develop and improve if they play regularly and at a testing level.

10. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

This.

How many players have we sent out and they've just vanished?

Remember those poor lads we sent to Rangers in the Scottish third division? Disaster.

Mick O'Toon likes this.

11. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

I am sure it will improve under Shola.

The loan system should be a great way of allowing players to transition from playing youth football to being ready for First Team action but they need to be exactly right for the stage of the players development. If the player is good enough to be considered for the First Team, which Matty is, then no way should we be loaning them out but we should be ensuring that they get game time even if its just 10-20mins as a sub.

Unfortunately no Manager now is interested in the long term development of the club as generally they are not likely to be there when the benefits are going to be reaped. I think that the Director of Football position is now essential to balance the short and long term future of the club. Ideally the various squad managers/coaches, scouts and loan manager would all report to them. Unfortunately its a position we of course do not have.

I don't know what the reporting structure is in our club - presumably they all report to Charnley, which is ridiculous, as while he may have some skills in running a business he has no football expertise.

12. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

True my thoughts exactly,who was the last loanee to come back and make the grade?Oh yeah there was who went on to play for England but not for Newcastle,Forster!