1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

match v col u

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by theblues, Aug 13, 2011.

1. theblues

theblues Member

Here are my player ratings for col u:

Bull (8) Could not do much about their goal but pulled off some great saves
    Mccoy (7) Put in some good tackles and runs, but partly to blame for their goal
    Tunnicliffe (7) Had some dodgy moments but also defended well at times
    Winfield (6) Didn't inspire confidence, got out of jail free a number of times
    Sandell (7) Got some unfair stick as I felt he defended well, wasted a couple of free kicks however
    Halls (2) One of the most inept performances from a wycombe player i have ever seen, slow, awful first touch, poor passing and no commitment
    Ainsworth (7) One of his quiter matches but showed good commitment to set up the goal and never seems to lose his creative spark
    Grant (6) Very quiet, had one shot comfortably saved
    Donnelly (7) Poor first half but did well to get into the area for our penalty and created a couple of other chances
    Strevens (7) Some neat touches but was a bit too quiet
    Rendell (7) Tried hard but had no service

Subs:
    Harding (6) Didn't do too much but looked like steven gerrard compared to john halls who he replaced
    Benyon (7) Looks quite sharp, but couldn't really cope with the strength of the opposition
    Beavon (n/a) Didn't get a touch on the ball

2. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

to be honest and i hate to say this but col u were far better than us all over the pitch hit the bar twice and bully saved us a couple of times.having said that we could have knicked it late on ,grants turn and shot brought a good save from their keeper and in the dying moments donnelly put his shot wide of the far post when put through in the penalty area but that would have been tough on col u after all their dominance.rendell and halls were awful and andy sandell wasnt much better being caught out time and time again but thats where grant has to learn to track back and help him out defensively.harding came on as sub and shured things up in midfield and benyon looked lively up front when he came on.ainsworth i agree looked jaded after 45 mins and faded out of the game.col u forward line looked very powerfull and caused us a few problems and lesser defenders than big dave and tunny at the back will struggle to contain them this season.very happy with a point away to a (wait for it monarch) very good col u side <yikes>.one thing that really annoyed me yesterday was the lino putting his flag up everytime we went forward,the poor guy would be better off working on the railways flagging trains but then he would probably miss one of them as well.good vocal backing from the chairboys fans and outsung col u all afternoon.

3. devonblue

devonblue Member

All the reports suggest that Colu played well. Im happy with the point - if anyone had offered me 1 win and 2 draws in the first 3 games id have taken it. We havent been beaten and we've played 2 decent league teams.

Its going to take some time to settle in this league and not getting beat while we do is key.

4. Rocky blue army

your right there devon but we will have to play better than that if we are to stay clear of the relegation zone

5. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

in terms of team selection ahead of next week, having not seen a game, im wondering who will play: do you think betsy, lewis or benyon should come into the team?

6. Rocky blue army

on yesterdays showing rendell should be dropped for benyon and beever brought in for strevs.we miss lewis big time in midfield.betsy will probably replace a tired looking ainsworth.

7. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Hello mate sounds like you were singing the praises of our world class keeper not our mediocre forwards for the trip to the east end I think the Wadfather will go for the Rendell Benyon pairing up front Harding replacing Halls and Betsy looks a good bet for Ainsworth bringing on the beever in the second half

8. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

for grant i have heard a lot of critizism and complaints about inconsistency, so would betsy not possibly be in for him?

9. Hand-of-Gaz

Hand-of-Gaz New Member

Bull - 7

Sandell - 6
    Tunnicliffe - 6
    Winfield - 6
    McCoy - 6

Grant - 7
    Halls - 6
    Donnelly - 7
    Ainsworth - 7

Rendell - 5
    Strevens - 6

MOTM: Scott DONNELLY

I think John Halls is being singled out unfairly, he didn't play as bad as people are making out and is probably only being targeted because of the ball treading incident. Scott Donnelly was superb, and I really hope he signs full time, as he is our creative spark. Joel Grant was hit and miss, rarely got the ball, but when he did, he looked comfortable with the ball at his feet. Scott Rendell was as lazy and **** as he usually, just looks as he isn't up for it or he just isn't good enough for League One. Benyon showed flashes of brilliance when he came on. Our back line struggled to cope with Kayode Odejayi, who bossed them in the first half.
    Two points from two tricky games isn't a bad start, considering we are still adapting to the division and are showing an ability to take our chances, which can't be too bad. Onwards and upwards, and hopefully another point away at the O's midweek!

10. Bilversack

Bilversack Member

As usual, I didn't go to the game and so am therefore relying on stats from the web and other people's views on here, and, as usual, I'm still going to comment anyway :emoticon-0102-bigsm

We drew at home with a team just relegated from the Championship and we've drawn at Col U. We might have been outplayed but I think that's a well solid start. Interesting hearing John Ward's interview on bbc website, he's really paid us a lot of compliments, esp McCoy, sounds like they were really worried about him after Lg cup game.

We're going to have a lot of games where we are going to be outplayed in this league I think - there are some quality clubs in there with a lot of championship quality players - quite a few more teams have this than we do in this division, so it's a big step up. If we can go 5 or 6 without too many disappointing results, confidence will grow. We've got a few key players out at the moment too. I'm feeling positive about these results so far, whether we've been lucky or not.

11. devonblue

devonblue Member

Agree, we need Benyon and Rendell playing together as soon as possible. I rate Beever and Strevens but Rendell and Benyon are the ones who can score prolifically in this division.

12. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

OK, firstly I missed the game on Saturday because i'm holidaying in sunny Crete.
    But, we know that we don't really have a potent strike force. I understand the calls for Beavon, but he is never gonna get us 15+ goals a season. Again Strevens will get us a handfull of goals, but is not what we are looking for. When have we seen one of our strikers truly look such a handful that opposing teams are singing their praises??? Much has been said about Ainsworth and Donnelly and even Betsy on his day. We are a team with a potent midfield, but our strikeforce will only ever be mediocre. Lets hope Benyon is the key, because I don't think our existing strikeforce will deliver sufficient goals this season.
    Last year we relied on numerous goals from midfield. We have Ainsworth who is another year older and we are playing at a higher level. Don't think we'll go down, but don't think we'll make it easy for ourselves for the reasons outlined above........COYB

13. Hand-of-Gaz

Hand-of-Gaz New Member

I think Benyon can be that 15+ goals a season man.....

14. Rocky blue army

slasher your right about our strikers but benyon at least showed he has pace and a couple of times outpaced col u,s defence and caused more trouble in 15 mins than rendell did in ninety.i like rendell and have defended him on numerous occasions on the terrace but even my patience is wearing thin now.he is either not fit or fcuckin lazy

15. Rocky blue army

the one plus from the weekend is col u mikes prediction of were gonna smash you lot twice in a week never happened yet again.the laugh of the weekend was the wycombe fan after the game at colchester station urinating up against a wall and the wycombe fans started singing eighty pound fine ....clean it up ....eighty pound fine ....clean it up and that was right in front of the old bill <doh> sorry if that was one of our lot on here but it did make me laugh :emoticon-0102-bigsm

16. 123..

123.. Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  17. Rocky blue army

cant argue with that js spot on really

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So what is the general verdict:
    (a) we were lucky to get a point from a very good Colchester side
    (b) we weren't very good so Colchester can't be either
    (c) considering we didn't play as well as we can we did very well to get a point away from home against a very good Colchester side - can only be promising
    (d) we still haven't been able to field our strongest team yet so to still remain unbeaten (bearing in mind who we have played) it augurs well for the future

Without wanting to put the dampener on things, the last time we were in L1 we started off with cracking games against Charlton and Leeds; they don't come any tougher than that.

19. theblues

theblues Member

I think the rendell stick is unjust. He will never be the fastest of players, but he did try to make runs and frankly his service was awful. Too many times he was the only player competing for a long ball against 2 large defenders, and when he did win the ball no-one ever seemed to be around him. Its all very well saying he didn't hold the ball well, but its difficult when there's no-one around you most of the match.

Also, idiots around me were shouting at him from the first minute, which didn't help matters either. I don't understand what stupid twats think they're going to achieve by moaning at a player, we should be encouraging whoever is playing even if we might not rate them.

Sorry rant over :steam:

20. Rocky blue army

i heard the abuse rendell was getting and it was totally out of order ,yet the same fans were singing his name when he scored from the penalty <doh>