1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match ratings - Southampton vs QPR

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Jose Fonte baby, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Forster 7
    Clyne 7
    Fonte 8
    Alderweireld 8
    Bertrand 8
    Schneiderlin 8
    Wanyama 9
    Davis 7
    Mane 9
    Pelle 8
    Tadic 7
    Long 7
    Cork 6
    Targett 6

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Generous marks there tbh. I didn't think it was Vic's best game. He'd have had a 7. Everyone else down 1 mark than those you've awarded (for me).

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Also Targett, not McCarthy.

4. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I thought Wanyama was immense. We looked a lot ropier when he went off.

Forster 7
    Clyne 7
    Fonts 6
    Alderweireld 6
    Bertrand 8
    Schneiderlin 7
    Wanyama 8
    Davis 7
    Mane 9
    Pelle 8
    Tadic 7
    Long 7
    Cork 6
    Targett 6

5. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Forster 6
    Clyne 7
    Fonte 7
    Alderweireld 8
    Bertrand 8
    Schneiderlin 7
    Wanyama 7
    Davis 7
    Mane 8
    Pelle 8
    Tadic 8
    Long 5
    Cork 7
    Targett -

Thought Long was poor when he came on today if I'm honest. Mane already looks like the best partner for Tadic on the wings.

6. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Forster 6
    Clyne 6
    Alderweireld 6
    Fonte 7
    Bertrand 8
    Schneiderlin 6
    Wanyama 8
    Davis 8
    Mane 8
    Tadic 7
    Pelle 8

Long 6
    Cork 6
    Targett 6

7. JayRodriguez9

JayRodriguez9 Member

Just me who thought Tadic was a bit off today?

8. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

He wasn't his usual self.

9. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Mustnt forget that was 3rd game in 7 days. A weeks break and will be firing on all cylinders aga.

10. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

First half he was out of the game. Those few defense-splitting passes he attempted were way off target. Second half he raised his game and was superb as usual.

11. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Yeah perhaps the 8 I gave is mainly as I remember the 2nd half better than the 1st... memory like a sieve :)

12. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Yep :emoticon-0105-wink:

My observations for what they're worth

Alderweireld on the left hand side of the centre backs makes him look at little uncomfortable. I think he is good enough to make the adjustment, but this and of course adapting to the premier league and a new team will take a little time. His class shines though.

What a league debut for Mane & a contrast to that WBA performance. I don't know whether it's confidence, opponents or personnel but in central midfield and from the back we looked to get the ball forward a lot quicker. I don't want to appear to slag off the team under Pochettino as we counter attacked as well as anyone last season, but under him and at WBA the midfielders first thought was to shield the ball and keep possession. In a month that mentality has seemingly changed. Two wide options and a target man and those same midfielders looked to stretch QPR and we got in behind them time and again

Traore had a good game for QPR and I didn't realise what a good defender he was. Tadic faced him 1st half and then switched full time to the left when Mane came off. I think that might be the reason for Jay thinking he was a bit off. He should have scored today too. Fortunate block from Green after some amazing skill and then probably should have crossed when he hit the post 2nd half.

Little harsh on long from above. His running and harassing started the attack for the Pelle volley. He should have done better with his chance following an amazing pass from Davis.

Wanyama looks like he is going to lose the ball but always manages to find a bit of pace or strength to keep it, but a nervous watch for me and others i'm sure. However Krancjar started to dictate when he left the field and that was a nervous finale

Plenty of good performances but Steven Davis gets my MOTM for an energetic performance which set the tone for the team.

13. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Tadic has no excuse for not scoring today with the chances he had. But he was lively all game so I gave him a 7. With Tadic's chances, Long's chance and Schneiderlin's chance we ought to have been out of sight. We were wasteful.

Davis edges MOTM for me too. He barely gave away possession and made some vital clearances. It's a shame that shot he had from distance didn't go in.

14. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wasn't a fan of him on the right flank. Thought he looked much better, and more comfortable, when he was moved back to left when Mane went off.

15. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I disagree about Long, he made a real nuisance of himself when he came on, he should have scored in that one on one chance, but Green kept his team in the game, several times.

16. Piri Weepu

Piri Weepu Well-Known Member

Davis man of the match for me. Just because I love him and fancy him

17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Look at what happened when he went off LTL; then you'll see how important he's been today.

18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I don't think he caused many problems for Tarore and was calling from 25 minutes for him to switch with Mane.

19. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I agree, Tintin - I thought he was all over the pitch and put in some critical tackles. Just needs that goal to round it all off and came within a whisker with that free kick. Mane looks very quick and slippery, but he needs to get better with his final pass and his shooting. Looking forward to seeing how close he was for those offside calls - reckon he was on for at least one of them. Big Vic was, again, immense and, though I'm a Jack Cork fan, I was very disappointed with him after Vic went off. Hopefully, Ronald was saving him for next week when he'll murder Spurs midfield. I think Long did okay when he came on - perhaps he's still trying too hard but he was very close a couple of times and he works with the magnificent (for the last 3 games) Pelle. Even though I was biting nails at 2-1 (and QPR looked a lot better going forward after they went one down - makes one wonder why 'Arry doesn't let them do that more) and worried that we'd throw a couple of points away, it was the "grind 'em out" result that sometime you have to do. I think we looked more ropey at the back than we have for a while - possibly due to Toby playing out of position? REALLY want to get a result at White Hart Lane next week!!!

20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They switched to devastating effect against Arsenal. Mane started right, Tadic left and they switched after around 10 minutes and Mane was tearing Arsenal to shreds all night down the left. That's probably why he played Mane on the left.