1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Massive game this weekend for us and Blackpool

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by frogman27, Mar 22, 2011.

1. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Evening all,

Looking through the run ins to the end of the season we have quite a few hard fixtures that are making me slightly concerned about our safety. On our day we can beat anyone, we comfortably saw Man Utd at the Cottage. But on a bad day we can get turned over by one and all.

Assuming we do not win away from home, we will really have to get some points from our home fixtures. This weekend is one of those home fixtures we need to pick up points from. Blackpool have more than enough potential to cause us problems so we will have to impose our game onto them and not be dictated to by their fast flowing attacking football.

I hope we come out victors, the 3 points would do us well for the run in.

2. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Froggie, I've found you mate! Only 3 points will suffice. I'm getting nervous now if I'm honest!

3. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Craving am I glad to see some more familiar faces. Gerascores has been on but we are but a few. As I have posted on 606, all seems cool here. Looking forward to many more years of dissecting life at Fulham football club. As for Blackpool, we have to stamp our authority on this game and push for a win straight from the off. No slow out of the blocks. Blackpool will have a go so we have to get them on the back foot as soon as possible.

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Hi Froggy and Craving. Well, I've made it! I'm not sure how much I'll be posting on this before 606 finally dies, but I thought I'd bite the bullet and sign up.

I think we'll pick up some away wins, and the home form will hold - we'll be all right. Don't forget that Bobby's coming back to fitness, and already looks like he's making a massive difference to us. Blackpool is a big game though. If we drop points on that one, maybe I'll start looking down the table a bit more.

5. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

I'm here, too. The new site seems pretty good. I added a group called "Fulham Supporters" just to reserve the name. I'm not sure what that gets us.

6. rocky57

rocky57 Member

It's only me. I've discovered I'm in a happy marriage as we're being allowed to go to the game and celebrate Mothering Sunday on Saturday.

I think it'll be an exciting game, end to end stuff, and it's vital we get 3 points, even if we scrape a 3-2 like the last one. It may well be a similar score.

7. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for a good game on Sunday and 3 points. We should be out of the blocks quickly, but if Blackpool come on, then it'll leave gaps for us to exploit.

Froggy, it looks as if you've got some new company with Craving, Captain, DR, Rocky all joining in. At least we know that when pub 606 closes, we can all transfer our loyalty to this one. With a bit of spare time, I've been on 606, here and the club site (to whinge about Sky), but I'll keep mainly to 606 until the end. And I've been thinking about a final tribute to Zolly before he goes.

8. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I think when you go to the games regularly you get a feel for what to expect. I wasn't at Goodison and so it seems ages since I last saw us play. We had been improving and with Zamora back we should win, but I am so nervous about this "must win game" Both teams will be well rested and we both need the points.

Should be a great game - Can't wait !!

9. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Never used to post on 606 but read most threads so know all the names listed above.

The Blackpool game worries me. I like the way Blackpool play, they really go for it and have that you score 4 we'll score 5 mentality - not that it always works out that way for them, clearly. I read that Adam may be injured - hopefully, he makes them tick - and DJ will be sitting in the stands so we have more than a fair chance. If Salcido plays I shall be even more worried, though. Blackpool are just the sort of team who could expose him fatally.

Hopefully BZ will score a hat-trick the 3 points will be ours and we can relax a bit but we need other results to go our way as well for me to be totally happy. It seems to be that none of the teams in the bottom four or five can put a decent losing streak together.

10. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Fulham won't go down, they're too good. It'll be Wigan, Blackpool and Wolves.

11. frogman27

frogman27 Member

I know what you mean fulhaman, I think that we all watched in awe when Blackpool came up. They played so aggressively and wanted to win games so much. I have to confess that I have not seen them play much recently, but the stats do not lie and they have been falling down the league table. I hope you are right about Adams, he is a superb player. For me, we are at home, hopefully the players will be fit from having a break and they will be aware of the importance of the 3 points. We need to keep tight defensively and Bobby will provide.

COYW

12. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Hello one and all.

I've made the transfer from 606 to this new and supposedly improved version.

The Blackpool game is indeed huge, but if we draw or even lose then it's not the end of the world. If we win then we can look up the table and toward the top 10, lose or draw and we are carefully looking over our shoulders. I would expect Hughes to use this game to assert his authority and show us exactly what his management is made of and attack Blackpool relentlessly.

Blackpool have entertained, no doubts about that. But with our striking options of Zamora, AJ, Dembele, Kakuta and Dempsey, it should be us entertaining come Sunday.

3-1 victory (Duff, Dempsey, Zamora)

13. Captain Morgan

Welcome aboard, Fulhaman. I lurked on 606 for ages before posting, then joined in on a regular basis and found that I loved it - hope it works out like that for you too.

I agree with Bandit, this isn't a 'must win'. Even if we lose, it doesn't leave us in serious trouble, but 3 points would certainly make things look more comfortable.

Has anyone heard if Hughes (Aaron) is fit? I gather he missed Northern Ireland's game in the week. We've got some decent back up at centre back, but the fact that Hughes and Hangeland have played together for so long - 3 and half years now of being the regular pairing - means that someone else coming in could disrupt the defence a bit. On the plus side, it might be a chance to see what Senderos is made of, if he's up to match fitness yet.

14. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

If Hughes is indeed out then I would expect Baird to come into the centre and Pantsil to play right back. Of course I would prefer Baird to stay out on the right and Senderos come in for Hughes, but I don't think Hughes will see it that way, with Senderos not having played a single game and all.

I see that Sidwell should be back for the game, which is a huge boost considering Etuhu's performance against Everton. If I were Hughes I would seriously think about letting Etuhu jump ship this summer and keep Dickagoi as his replacement. The lads done pretty well down at Palace.

15. Captain Morgan

Bandit, would you play Baird at centre back ahead of Halliche? I like Baird as a CB - it's what he's always said is his best position - but I'm not aware of Hughes giving him any game time there this season. If Aaron Hughes is out, I would expect Senderos to play if he's ready, and Halliche if not. Don't forget Pantsil played on Sunday and on Tuesday night for Ghana, so he won't exactly be fresh. Add in Hughes' mistrust of him defensively, and I'd be very surprised to see him start the game.

16. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I can't see there being any worries about JP being fresh. Tuesday to Sunday and he's hardly played Commodore, it's just a question of the manager's confidence in him. If Aaron Hughes is out I would expect to see Halliche. Do we know for sure Senderos is ready?

This could be a cracking game the more I think about it.

17. frogman27

frogman27 Member

This is fantastic, nearly all on board. Bandit, great to hear from you again mate, been a while. Aaron Hughes will be missed if he is unfit, but I would like to think that MH has prepared for this eventuality. Hughes and Hangeland have been such a rock, but I cannot remember how many games they have played together now. It was only a question of time before one got injured.

I would personally like to see Senderos play. The Swiss national team is built around him and he can be brilliant. However, there is a bit of the ' Zat Knight ' about him. When he messes up they are expensive. Halliche got rave reviews from Arsene Wenger. I think we have great cover at centre back. So we should not be too worried.

I agree with Rocky this could be a great game, hopefully with 3 points staying at the Cottage.

COYW

18. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Good to see we almost have the necessary quorum here!

I'd go with Halliche and leave CB covering the wing. It would be good to see Sidwell back - He has been a real surprise.

COYW

19. Captain Morgan

I've got no information on Senderos, I was just speculating on the basis of the stream of 'making good progress' reports coming out of the club. Sorry if I sounded like I knew what I was talking about!

20. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

You too frogster!

I saw Halliche against Peterbrough, and for the limited minutes he spent on the pitch, he gave away a needless penalty. Peterbrough as I'm sure you are all aware are a League One side, and we were at home. I dread to think what the attacking threat of Blackpool could do to the Algerian.

Senderos has played in quite a few reserve games now with Zamora, so he should be match fit. It's a little strange how he hasn't gotten a few minutes here and there though towards the end of some games like Zamora has.