1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Massengo

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Nov 2, 2019.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Is it my ignorance? I honestly can’t see what everyone else seems to see in him. I’ve read reports of him being worth £30m+ with the premiership big boys sniffing, but to me he is a bang average championship midfielder who may be (I admit) ahead of his years, but still bang average.
    Just to be clear; I’m not saying he’s crap - far from it - I just don’t get the hype around him.
    Perhaps I just don’t understand the game - I’m sure all those people can’t be wrong......

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

He’s young and was supposed to be used here and there. He didn’t play to much men’s football only about 6 or so first team games for Monaco.
    With the injuries we’ve had he has played a lot more games than we were expecting.
    When he was starting this run in the team, he was fantastic covers a lot of ground and was breaking up play all the time.
    I would think that the pace of the championship has caught up with him as he looks a yard of pace at the moment.
    Would of said when Nagy returned he would then step down and be used here and there to get fitter and stronger for the championship. But with Brownhill now injured could prevent that further and he will have to play more.
    One thing I did notice last night if he’s having a good game or not without Brownhill we look out of shape and made me appreciate just what sort of player we have in Josh.

AshtonRed likes this.
  3. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

He does cover a lot of ground and closes down the opposition. He can make the odd good pass but generally goes for the safe five yarder and isn't really a creator. I like him and can see flashes of what he could become. However his performances now aren't as good as at the beginning of the season. I'm not sure if that is fatigue or him picking up some bad habits from English football.

He seemed to have more time on the ball before - maybe he's got caught up in the pace of our league and it doesn't really suit his natural game.

4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Lee said in his post match interview josh had a back spasm , so hopefully he won’t be out long. Massengo has been poor recently, totally agree with RoDs comments, he wasn’t meant to play this much and he’s struggling, we have to be careful we don’t burn him out.

If we don’t get some of our injured players back soon I feel we are going to start sliding down the league. Whilst we should have been able to see the game out last night at 2-0 we didn’t deserve all 3 points , in fact on the balance of play over 90 minutes we were lucky not to be beaten , we were shocking, but for Bentley, who was magnificent, we would have lost.

The Nagy situation is worrying, the club seem rather quiet about it, something doesn’t add up, I wonder whether he’s going to need an operation, in which case it really could be the straw that broke the camels back injury wise for us this season.

5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Are you aving a larf the kid breaks up play and rarely gives the ball away.
    Compare him to another youngster getting game time he is different gravy.
    For me will become a top top player Arsenal are keeping tabs on him.
    A Arsenal type off player.

6. AshtonRed

We are having to play him too much at present, recently he hasn’t been as affective as earlier in the season , he needs a rest, he’s 18 for goodness sake. Sorry RR but last night he gave the ball away a lot.

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

or teams now can see him as not just a young kid filling in and gives him more attention!

8. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

A holding midfield player who breaks up the play AND can pass

All this and he's only 18

Red Robin likes this.
  9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Glad you see it as I do, complete class this kid.

10. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I thought he equipped himself fairly well against Barnsley and he seemed to be hungry for the ball. Please remember this guy is still basically a kid still learning his trade and if he does meet the hype surrounding him then he will be gone elsewhere sooner than you can say boo. By the end of this season we will know better whether he can step up and also whether he will stick with us.

11. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Does intercept the ball really well but also gives it away cheaply, so just needs to hold it up a bit more, instead of always trying to move it on so quickly.....the kids learning, nothing wrong in that...

12. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

We will be selling him in the next couple of years for more that we got for Webster

13. AshtonRed

I rate him very highly, but I do feel he needs a rest , circumstances haven’t allowed it. It’s not a criticism of him as I think he’s been amazing, but his performance levels have dipped recently against his very high standards.