1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mason Jones-Thomas

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Wooperts_duck, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

"Former Swansea winger 19 year old Mason Jones-Thomas trialling for Pompey tonight at AFC Totton.

Had been with the Swans since he was seven, signed a one-year pro contract to June 2020".

Any of you lads know anything about him ? Any good as a player ? Would appreciate any information.

Cheers !

swantastic likes this.
  2. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Think if he was up to the mark he would have been retained by us?

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  3. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Best one on this will be @Matthew Bound Still Lurks.

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

By the way @neveroffsidereff Calvin Davies has just recovered from his serious cruciate ligament injury and is playing again in pre-season games for Bognor Regis FC... Been out for over a year :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. neveroffsidereff

That’s good news, I’ve always rated the lad. My boys mate now playing at Eastleigh, had a good season from what I’m told. I know they have spent some money so hope he’s not pushed down the pecking order.

6. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Local Bony boy who really didn't kick on as expected maybe due to injuries , he's fairly quick but lacking an end product at times, good to see him get another chance though, I can't imagine how it feels to come through your local Academy from the development stage , sign professional teams then shown the door shortly after. Good luck to the lad

Wooperts_duck and TheRealBubbles like this.
  7. TheRealBubbles

TheRealBubbles Well-Known Member

That’s the difference between a money making business, responsible for dividends paid to the the shareholders, and a community club Matthew. Makes me blood boil that.

8. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

I don't disagree, but it is money driven I'm afraid more so for a Club of our size ,when my grandson was in the Academy, at 12 his group were told repeatedly that they were only looking for one player to make the grade , they "selected " one who seemed to be the prized asset and the remainder were his supporting cast . That was my perspective of the situation at the time.

9. neveroffsidereff

That was exactly the same with my lad at Pompey. Then they release players whom I thought would make it

Taffvalerowdy and TheRealBubbles like this.
  10. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Nev , I remember it happening to your lad but also i believe you said he was now happier which is as equally if not more so the important thing , life has enough stresses as it is but chasing impossible dreams when the odds are stacked against you is not what I'd want for mine. I love the Club but I also recognise that Development and Academy have only one purpose and for filling a kids' dream isn't it.

11. neveroffsidereff

Totally agree mate, while the dream is nice, it is a cut throat business. After release he played for a year but had a nasty car accident, he then stopped playing all together. It’s taken till around May to start to think on playing again and it was his mate at Eastleigh that got him back wanting to play again. He’s wants to get his fitness back for this season, then look to go back to lower league football.

12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Where is your lad playing now never ? Quite a few youngsters Pompey have released from our academy have joined Bognor permanently, as we tended to loan them out to them previously. One of our former academy strikers Dan Smith went to Bognor, scored a hat full of goals for them, and has just been sold to Eastleigh. I think we will regret letting him leave when he did.

13. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Sorry to hear that , hope he's no lasting effects. He's still young and has quite a few years yet to have another crack at the game , no matter what level.<cheers>.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  14. neveroffsidereff

My boys mate Sam Smart is at Eastleigh, they have signed a few players, so should make a good go of it this season. Dan will compete with Smarty as he players up front. They did experiment with him playing wingback last season.

Taffvalerowdy and Wooperts_duck like this.
  15. neveroffsidereff

He’s OK, he has suffered mentally with the effects, after the accident he was saying I’m fine etc etc, after some help he’s fine. On the football front, he will be happy to play lower league football, think he will go back to play for Fareham Town next year, he was playing Fareham 1st team after his release and loved it. This season he just wants to get his fitness back.

16. Matthew Bound Still Lurks