1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mark Byrne Leaves

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, Aug 5, 2020.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Mark Byrne has confirmed on his twitter this evening that he won't be returning for preseason training and will be moving on. His comments taken from social media are as follows:

"I've decided I won't be returning for preseason. I was disappointed with how things went after my injury but before that I really enjoyed my time at Gills. I want to thank the players and staff I've worked with for the last 4 years at the club. I have made some great friends. A big thank you goes out to the fans. You lot have been brilliant to me the last 4 years. I gave it my all every week and think you guys knew that. I wish the gaffer and the lads all the best for the season ahead. But now after 14 years of football in the UK, with my knee is almost ready, it's time for a new challenge at home in Ireland.
    Cheers Byrner UTG".

Best of luck to Byrner on his return to the Green Isle. Don't think many can question his commitment to the cause in a Gills shirt if the quality wasn't always perhaps there.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Was a quality player for Gills. Don't remember many bad games. Deserved his player of year and was very good last season before his injury nightmare. Wonder if he will change sports in Ireland as family were good athletes aswell.