1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Liverpool

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, May 2, 2021.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to another important match day. Although this match is largely pointless for us, it means everything for the scousers. Their meaningless existence as the worst defending champion depends on it. Therefore, the task is very simple - DESTROY THEIR JOY! This gives a new meaning to today's game and getting the job done like our lives depend on it.

Given our rejuvinated performances against Top 6 sides, we must go out there to win this one convincingly. Our cagey approach against those sides has dearly cost us the title, but we must finish strongly and carry that over into the start of next season. Hopefully win a trophy too.

Line-up:
    • Henderson
    • Wan-Bissaka
    • Lindelöf
    • Maguire
    • Shaw
    • McTominay
    • Fred
    • Greenwood
    • Bruno Fernandes
    • Pogba
    • Rashford

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Match Insights... Point number 5 should not have happened. All those scoreless draws killed us.

upload_2021-5-2_10-0-13.png

3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Match Postponed!

4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I fully support the right to peaceful protest, but the actions of a few hotheads has damaged the reputation of the club in the eyes of the global media who will focus on the disturbances, rather than the frustrations with the Glazer's ownership that prompted the protest. I can also see there being some form of sanction imposed against the club by the PL after today's scenes.

5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

They can’t sanction the club for what happened. The club is not directly responsible for the unrest given fans are not even allowed into the ground. There’s nothing the club could have done to control that.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I think some went too far. It's not a good look kicking down doors.

Still, can they be deemed supporters if they weren't in possession of match tickets? Not sure they can, although something that hits the Glazers where it hurts wouldn't go amiss.

You know what bugs me? Where the actual **** are we supposed to find decent owners with the kind of cash the Glazers will want?

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

That’s where most supporters are idealistic. This is not a £200m club. There aren’t that many eligible rich folks out there to retake the club without again using the Club’s assets as a leverage to secure the funds for the takeover. The world essentially works on debt built on leverage if you’re not into dirty oil.

The only way this works out is for the Glazers to no longer see the value in carrying on. But I doing see how protests alone is going to force their hands unless it becomes destructive for the club itself which would be counter-intuitive for both the owners and the supporters.

8. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

The only realistic chance of selling the club, to someone other than oil money, is the likes of Jim Ratcliffe but he won't look at us until the numbers stabilise next season. The alternative is for some hedge fund to buy us out as a plaything, invest nothing, and sell us on. We need financial stability in an unstable financial climate.

9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

In real terms, and sadly, there’s nothing illegal about the way that the Glazers have structured the club financially. For a club this size, the next owner is most likely going to do exactly what the Glazers have done in terms financial benefits and transaction. Hedge funds are even worse.

No single entity is going to be stupid enough to pore $4.2bn of their own money into a single asset. It will most likely be leveraged with assets tied to the club.

Oil money to the rescue, I suppose.

10. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the protests FWIW

My feelings for the GGs are not new. I’ve been against their takeover/theft of our club from day one. No need to outline the reasons here again but the simmering resentment over 16 years was.reignited by the overwhelming greed shown by the GGs together with other equally disgusting owners. The GGs passion is only for the dollar signs flashing in front of their eyes.

So I was for the protests yesterday. Yes the protests went beyond peaceful and the violence of the minority quite understandably condemned. But for me,peaceful protests outside the ground with banners unfortunately have a limited effect. Look at the protests outside Arsenal a week ago. A few mentions in the sports pages, none in the main TV news and quickly forgotten within a few days. Their owners promptly put up two fingers and said nothing changes. The same would have happened yesterday. To make an impact something significant must happen. And that is either a delay to the most iconic match in English football or better a postponement. Many observers in the media and in authority recognise this but are not able to say it.

I am not saying that the Greedy Glazers will be cowed into renouncing this massive cash cow they grabbed by these protests. They probably will do the same as the Arsenal owners. But at least it has grabbed the attention of a global audience. It was headline news on all the TV channels yesterday and front page in all the newspapers. And the disruption that may (just may! ) get our politicians and others in authority thinking about ownership of football clubs and how to prevent Uber greedy owners from in the future destroying football as we know it.

cytrax likes this.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. Peaceful protests are very nice. In fact, they are very palatable to all sides which ultimately renders them fkin useless, in my opinion.

For any resentment against the establishment to be expressed productively and yield any substantive outcome, it has to hit right at the heart of what the establishment holds dearly. This is not to say that people should go out there breaking glasses and burning buildings, but the goal here is to make it disruptive. The kind of disruption that occurred yesterday will have far greater impact versus any of the flyovers with banners and nice camping outside of the stadium.

My only doubt is that I don't think that the Glazers will give up their massive paydays because of one event. I will insist that they are operating by the book and any suggestion that they should have "passion" for football is itself idealistic and not facing up to reality of why the market makers buy these assets. It has nothing to do passion for the game. If it is not for profit, it is purely for ego (at least passion can come from this). Even for the oil owners that purport themselves as benevolent guardians.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Christiansmith likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Protest outside yes.
    Get into the ground yes
    Cause disruption and even get the game called off yes.
    Sought every opprtunity to get their point across in front of the media cameras yes

But I think they should and could have done all that yesterday without the need for anyone getting hurt or some jumping on goalposts, acting like idiots or causing unnecessary damage, even accounting for the fact it was a minority doing it. It would've spoken much more highly of our fans.

Diego likes this.
  13. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Unlikely there was a strategy of causing trouble even by the minority. When there is a crowd protesting stuff takes a momentum of its own sometimes. Adrenaline pumping with group behaviour and police trying to control. Ideally no one should get hurt but this was really unfortunate and this has been quite rightly condemned.

Diego likes this.