1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v Everton

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Same as last week, two rivals play one another this weekend and one or both will drop points.

Therefore, this is indeed a must win game.

Think both full backs will be back, so it's likely a back four who will, inevitably given Maguire is out, need 'protecting' by two defensive minded midfield players.

As long as those two can also get the ball forward, I don't see why that's a problem given what we have up front.

Personally, on that basis, I'd like to to be Fred and van De Beek in front of the defence. In front of those Pogba left, Bruno central, Sancho right . Ronaldo centre forward.

I happen to think that Pogba could play instead of Fred, with Sancho left and Greenwood right. But this does not protect the back four it seems. Although if attack is the best form of defence, why's it need protecting so much?

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I agree it is a must win. But then every match played by United is a now must win with the heightened expectations. Any other result will mean that United will fall further behind.

I am not sure that Ole (and his coaching team) has come to grips with the reality of having someone like CR in the team. How does he have him in the team without weakening the defensive aspects?

looking at the matches played so far including the last one, it’s clear that if we play 4 at the back we are better with 2 midfielders protecting the defence like McTominay and Fred. Not withstanding the poor match from Dalot, we were constantly giving away clear chances in that first half mostly from our right. McTominay was simply overrun. There was a semblance of stability when we had 2 dmf in the 2nd half.

It looks that with CR who doesn’t contribute to defending our midfielders need to be more defensive but we still need the creativity and provide the attack with the ammunition. We have 4 established attackers (CR BF JS MG) and 4 defenders. Which leaves 2 MF places to fill. Against Villarreal we decided on Pogba and McTominay. Increasingly it looks like pogba is a luxury we can’t afford. The midfield has been overrun on too many occasions to be just accidental.

I was only slightly joking when I said I was praying for Villarreal to score that first goal early. I knew that if that happened we'll have no choice that put everything into the attack and reinforce the defence at the same time. Pogba will then need to be sacrificed. Of course that is not a sustainable strategy from the start but if winning 3 points is the ultimate goal then we need to learn from other teams how they’ve adapted an undroppable player in their team.

and another thing. Our build up play is far too slow and ponderous. The speed of Chelsea City and the RS is like lightning in comparison.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've not watched Everton under Rafa. Is it all dull, defensive and sitting back?

I don't care about the team selection as long as we don't keep passing it along the back four and then pumping it long.

There's little point discussing what the midfield should be if we're going to bypass them. Please PLEASE play through the lines and move the ball quickly from the start.

I'd still like to see Martial on the left, Sancho on the right. It won't happen though.

Remember when United would have a couple of poor results and we'd say someone's due an absolute drubbing. Well fingers crossed that's what we do to Everton tomorrow.

4. Christiansmith

Benitez will keep a tight defence and sit back. We’ll have to start well. The drubbing will only come if we score early. Our defence and midfield had better be prepared for counters. I’d be happy with a close win tbh.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

What I'd be happy with is if the fat Spanish fake prick gets his arse handed to him but the bottom line has to be three points.

6. Christiansmith

CR gets a rest. Hope we’ve not forgotten how to play without him. Martial huge gamble for me but Cavani in may help. No sancho or pogba either. Is this a game to experiment?

7. Christiansmith

Reasonable performance so far without CR. Some degree of control. Fernandes more assertive without CR on the pitch.

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

**** sake.

Good job those centre midfield guys are protecting our defence.

cytrax likes this.
  9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We need to win this one, boys!

Why are McTominay and Fred playing together yet again?

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We are a sad bunch!

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Fingers crossed guys, might come good in a few weeks.

We're getting there and that. Clear to see.

12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

This is just fkin sad!!!

13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I guess we are one or two players away from competing. I’ll check back after the next transfer window. We are surely getting there!

14. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

We miss so many chances and can't keep clean sheets that's not a good combo lol

15. Christiansmith

Their goal was ridiculously easy. No wonder Ronaldo was angry. Fred was there to prevent the counter but his tackle was powder puff against Gray of all people. He was brushed aside like a sissy.

But overall enough chances to win the game. Not good enough.

16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Fred missed a tackle, McTominay just jogging back.

Both are ****e, yet both play every week. To protect the defence! Laughable.

It's no wonder that Van de Beek wants to leave when garbage like those two get in the team every ****ing week.

17. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I feel for that guy. We are destroying his career with nothing to show for it.

18. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

How did you get on? :bandit:

19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Why do we continue to defend this? We’ve already lost five points at home and the season just started. It really makes no sense that anyone will suggest that we should wait until the end of the season. We experiment with games that we absolutely need to win. This is just fkin pathetic!

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We drew. It's on the internet if you need results.

<ok>