1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Make Me Understand (Ox)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Aug 30, 2017.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Ox has turned down a move to Chelsea after a fee was agreed (£40M). His reason was that they wanted him to play wing back and he doesn't want that he wants to play wide or central.

So wide he will compete with Salah and Mane, so bench most of the time. Central then it's Coutinho who may be leaving, in the central role I've seen nothing from him that convinced me that he can pick a pass or control a game. It's the opposite in that he makes the wrong decision often and gets away with it at times with pace or skill.
    Lemar would be a far better option if only for the fact that he's actually played central and that he's actually good enough to challenge our wide men.

So he has a bit of pace and would be an expensive sub IMO.

Someone tell me what I'm missing here?

terrifictraore and BobbyD like this.
  2. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I really do like Ox - his end product needs to improve but his career has been stop start because of injuries and playing in so many different positions.

He's versatile - can play out wide and play central. His passing is underrated.

Fast - both on and off the ball. He's brilliant at dribbling with the ball and beating his man. It means we will add another dribbler to our team - before this season, we only really had Mane. Now we have Salah, Keita (next summer), potentially Lemar. Klopp really wants to add pace and more importantly, players who can carry the ball upfield.

Young - he's still yet to reach his peak.

English - homegrown quota. We still have obligations to meet this.

Desire - he works hard and tracks back. Not only that, he is a boyhood Liverpool fan and is desperate to join us.

Cheap - IF we wait until Jan or next year to secure the deal. If we get Lemar this summer, then I can see us waiting until Jan.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So you agree then that he's backup to Salah and Mane? I'm happy with that as long as he gets it.
    What about the fact he keeps banging on about playing midfield, I'm not seeing that in him at all?

4. Jimmy Squarefoot

Yeah. I can't see him displacing him anyone just yet - but he'll provide valuable depth to a number of positions. And I'm sure Klopp will rotate throughout the season.

Re. Midfield - not sure if it's an easy excuse because he wants to leave a sinking ship ...

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So he's coming to cover a number of positions. I can live with that and think he would be good cover. He does need to look at his competion though and understand that cover is exactly what he is.
    I would have thought he'd want to go to a club where he starts every week but great if he fully understand that's he's bench.

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

And then there the nickname. The Ox - A large, pondering, stupid beast. That has gotta change.

BobbyD likes this.
  7. moreinjuredthanowen

Either lfc are offering mad wages or this story is fake.

Now I can understand him knocking them bavk as he doesn't want to end up a rwb.... but he's not going to play cm for us next year.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Players have to have belief in their own ability. If he joined us as back up to Mane & Salah, he'd should believe he could force his way into the team otherwise what's the point?

Personally, I think he and Salah would be rotated depending on the opponents as they offering contrasting abilities

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  9. LuisDiazgamechanger

If OX is allowed to play in CM for Liverpool, what about CAN?. Milner cannot even get that, stop dreaming OX.

10. Rubbersoul

Rubbersoul Well-Known Member

Ox doesn't score or assist. Salah does.

I don't see what Ox brings to our team other than a bench player or league/FA cup. The bloke sees himself as a CM but i see no top team putting him there. Milner is a better CM than Ox.

If he accepts that he's nothing more than a bench player then maybe but even then i wouldn't be over the moon.

11. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

I don't particularly rate him but the timing is pathetic, I doubt Wenger will even look at replacements

12. LuisDiazgamechanger

OX is wanted by Chelsea and Liverpool to balance the home grown player requirement.

13. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Mweh... he's another jellyfish. Whatever is going on at Arsenal their players to a man have shown no personal pride on the pitch.

I don't want that mentality at our club.

Number 1 Jasper and luvgonzo like this.
  14. saintKlopp

I suppose it can be difficult to maintain your enthusiasm for dashing about when you know it's a lost cause and everyone else around you has given up.
    On the other hand, I remember a couple of seasons ago when all the Chavs downed tools, Willian seemed to be the only one of their top players who kept giving his all. I don't know whether he was too daft to notice that no-one else was bothering or that he just had some personal pride and integrity, but he was one of the few who could still hold his head up after that season.
    I'd prefer that mentality.

15. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

I think we will sign him to meet the English quota and to keep Sturridge company in the sick bay, they both have awful injury records

16. Jimmy Squarefoot

So the Standard saying our opening offer of £30m was rejected.

17. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Plus one pound ??

luvgonzo likes this.
  18. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Take him free or cheap in Jan. Wouldn't want to be spending anywhere close to £30m for him though, let alone close to the £40m Chelsea were offering.

19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Didn't he knock back £180k a week at Arsenal?

Over rated and has ****ing awful hair.

Peej likes this.
  20. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Alisson Becker is N01 likes this.