1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Maarten Jol - and the early season fools - "Fulhaman"

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by toshchamberlainsmate, Apr 15, 2012.

1. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

<doh>

23/10/2011, 09:55 PM #1
    Fulhaman
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Come in MJ your time is up

So long Martin, I'd like to say it's been nice, but it hasn't. In fact it's been sodding awful. Now **** off and pass my club onto someone who can coach us into winning a couple of games before Christmas.

The guys time must be up. And to think Mo even went back to him after he'd mugged us about the previous season. God, it makes me so angry

As I said at the time (and was vilified for) "you are a ****er !" - would you like to reconsider your rant?

2. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Tosh, come on mate. To be fair to Fulhaman he did come back and hold his hands up, and fair play to him for that.

3. toshchamberlainsmate

Another quote from the Witney Wizard.................

Fulhaman

Completely agree - but you won't find many on here who will. I have been convinced Jol was not the Man for us since about October - it was early but the signs were there if you cared to look. Agree with your comments regarding the signings as well.
    Ruiz is a big disappointment and has been since game 1. Although to be fair he doesn't get a huge amount of game time, but then again, if he was better I am guessing he would have forced his way into the starting line up. Looks like £10 million doesn't get you much nowadays.

I am also concerned that, if Jol is still with us come January, Mo will not back him with money for signings (besides, who of any quality wants to come to a side that could be in a relegation battle). He has seemingly wasted a good amount of wedge and we all know what Mo is like with the purse strings if he feels manager's aren't delivering bang for his buck in terms of players.

4. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Couple of posts I managed to find.

5. toshchamberlainsmate

ooooooooooh a relevant thread from our "leader" Bandit:

Thread: Time for Jol to pack his bags.

Search Thread
    Rate This Thread
    Display

01/12/2011, 08:05 PM #1
    Bandit
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Bandit's Avatar

Level

Default Time for Jol to pack his bags.

Evening all!

My absence from not606 has coincided with me beginning my Masters degree at "University" i.e. Polytechnic, which has understandably taken up a lot of my time.

On to the topic at hand, watched the game tonight and became compelled to post on here for the first time in months. The message being: Martin has to go.

Anyone who has a differing opinion, and there will be some, please consider the pros and cons since Martin has come to CC.

Pros:

Has developed Dembele into a better player
    Has given Frei and Briggs an (albeit small) chance in games

Cons:

Offensively we are atrocious, Jol should have splashed £12 million on a striker not winger
    Defensive lapses that weren't there under Hughes
    Promise of Dutch attacking football has not been delivered
    Fallout's with Zamora, Johnson, Kasami
    Signings have badly under-performed (Riise, Ruiz, Kasami, Sa) Others don't get game time
    One league win at home this season (against a promoted side)
    Constant change in formation and personnel (Hughes + Senderos)

The Spuds defeat 3-1 was very hard to take, we performed admirably and if not for Friedel would have won at a canter. Tonight's defeat I could care less about, we didn't try for the three points so deserved to leave with none.

Even against Arsenal we pushed forward much more, can you really say Twente have a better defence than Arsenal? Why the fear of pushing forward?

Looking at the Everton and Wigan games, I said to myself if Martin can't get us four points from this then he is not the man for us. Safe to say we got three, an undeserved three at that, with only the woodwork keeping Wigan out.

Martin won't turn it around in January like Hughes did. Hughes had AJ and Zamora to come back from injury and was playing EJ and Kamara upfront. Martin has Zamora, AJ, Dempsey, Dembele and Sa to choose from.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is a manager out there at the moment who could come in and perform better. Martinez would be my choice, but would he leave Wigan and join us after turning down Villa in the summer? Probably not.

Opinions welcome.

I'm glad we have the benefit of this Southampton supporter............at least until next August :)

6. toshchamberlainsmate

Ok Bidders.............I'll stop being a git...............if they will :) :)

7. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Fulhaman's been fine, Bandy gets a bit gobby sometimes but that's Bandy, and we wouldn't have him any other way.

8. toshchamberlainsmate

Don't speak for me Bidders - you are almost always right about Fulham - but I would happily have Bandit admitted to a genuine Oxford University College..............his humiliation would be exquisite.

9. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

I'm not sure what the point this post is, beyond provoking a few people needlessly. Nobody is right about everything, including me. I thought Sparky would be a good manager for us, then by Christmas I was calling for his ouster. I believed neither Chris Baird nor Jon Pantsil should play for the team - wrong on both counts. Even the great Roy Hodgson was wrong at times, playing Zolton Gera ahead of Clint Dempsey for two months before realizing the error of his ways (outraged, I changed my moniker to Dempsey's Revenge at the time).

Nobody's right about everything.

10. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

DR, I seem to remember a post on the old 606 forums indicating the moniker referred to Jack Dempsey, not our boy Deuce.

Did I imagine that? Or was it a little joke that I took hook, line & sinker?

11. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

QFT. This thread is a tad unnecessary.

12. toshchamberlainsmate

DR - in general you are correct. I am being provacative - against two people who were unreasonably offensive earlier in the season.

You, along with most reasonable posters on this forum, make reasoned posts. Even when you disagree, you are respectful.

I find two of our posters disrespectful, unreasonable and self important. I sometimes feel the need to point this out to them.

I apologise if this upsets our other sensible fans.

13. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I think it's one thing to point out disrespect, another to fall to the same standards when doing so. I tend to agree with what Tosh writes about Fulham matters, and I share his irritation with the tone some of the regulars take when they are discontent with something Fulhamish - like him, I felt quite under fire when I was defending Jol during the relatively dark days of Autumn. But if we want a more respectful board, we have to avoid descending into disrespect ourselves.

I notice that the board now features the ability to like or dislike an individual post. Perhaps we should vote with our mouses and click 'dislike' if we think someone's tone is unecessarily aggressive or disrespectful? That would be a lot more constructive than using it simply to say whether we agree or not, and less confrontational than challenging disrespect with abuse. What does everyone think?

14. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

At one point I almost lost faith- I dont think I called for his head though (I did for Hughes after the home loss to West Ham at Christmas- wtf was that!!!!)

I agreed with these points earlier in the season;

Offensively we are atrocious, Jol should have splashed £12 million on a striker not winger
    This has improved - although I still think £12m is a lot for a guy who is generally played out of position

Defensive lapses that weren't there under Hughes
    This has gotten better- I think the experimentation was neccesary, our defence was too reliant on two players, H & H.

Promise of Dutch attacking football has not been delivered
    We're getting there

Fallout's with Zamora, Johnson, Kasami
    Good riddance Bobby Z- Kasami seems a bit harsh, Johnson needs to accept he isnt worth what he is paid in the context of the team and relative wages.

Signings have badly under-performed (Riise, Ruiz, Kasami, Sa) Others don't get game time
    It's getting better

One league win at home this season (against a promoted side)
    Better

Constant change in formation and personnel (Hughes + Senderos)
    Frustrating initially, in the long run it will benefit us

15. RobespierreFFC

Completely agree word for word, although I thought I'd like your post anyway as I think it provides a good summary of how the tone of the board should be set. I've starting posting again a bit more recently, having stopped after growing frustrated at the constant negativity of some around autumn and through to xmas. What I believe makes this board unique is how we can speak to each other as if its a pub conversation, without the WUMs or glory hunters which many other forums seem to inherently suffer from. Whatever direction we believe the club should go in, we're all united in our love for Fulham. We have seen our club in 15 years go from the bottom of the football league to a european final and established as a fine premier league side. So lets continue to debate constructively about what we believe is best for our wonderful club.

COYW!!

16. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

OK, I get a better picture now. I guess I understand a bit - it can get a little personal during the debates. Bandit and a guy named TrueFootballGenius (best moniker ever) used to have a go at each other a few years ago until TFG stopped posting. For a while, Rocky57 seemed to take issue with everything I posted, then, for whatever reason, that stopped. (Miss you, Rocky).

Oh, Surlyc, no my moniker was never about Jack Dempsey, whoever that was (kidding, boxing fans). Hodgson's first season in charge, he benched Dempsey until nearly October playing Gera on the left and Davies on the right. In a fit of indignation, I changed my name. Frankly, I can't even remember what my name was before.

17. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

The analogy of us all being down the pub was debated a year ago, and it's sort-of sets the tone for this board, with its relative politness, banter and healthy disagreemeent, with some good well-written prose, probably due to the lack of WUMS and that we are a relatively small group of fans who understands what it is to be Fulhamish. However, I must admit to getting a bit p'd off with some of the less than friendly banter in a few streams on here recently, and I hope it passes.

18. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Not entirely sure what I have done in the last 4 or 5 months to provoke this. Can't recall that I have made a negative post for ages to be honest. Since about January I have been quite Jol friendly and very happy with what the team has been doing. Didn't even get upset when we went out of Europe. I'm not getting angry about this, just bit confused as to why something I posted months ago has been dragged up. Can a chap not change his opinion if it is proved to be incorrect - which I have already admitted I was and even publicly apologised for.

19. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Blimey! Where did this come from?
    We're all entitled to an opinion Tosh ol' son.
    As a Jol supporter, as all of us are now, and others all counter argued the points raised at the time. It brought a healthy debate to the board in my opinion, not sure dragging it all up again proves anything though.

Posts don't always have to be positive either do they? If someone wants to flag up their thoughts/opinions that's up to them. It's up to you whether you feel the post warrants a response. It's all about choices if you ask me. If you don't like the post then don't reply.

I think that's why we don't generally have any wum's on the board as we don't respond to their comments and can spot them a mile off.

Keep the faith everyone!

20. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Any WUMming activities I indulge in happen on the Liverpool board- it's highly recommended!