1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prediction League Lyle Taylor - Social media embarrassment

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Aug 7, 2019.

1. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

Charlton Athletic boss Lee Bowyer is hoping to have Lyle Taylor back in training tomorrow – with the frontman cutting short international duty due to injury.

The Addicks’ top scorer had been away with Montserrat and played in their CONCACAF Nations League win over Dominican Republic on Saturday.

But Taylor was back in the UK earlier than expected this week and missed Tuesday’s 1-1 draw with Saint Lucia.

Bowyer told the South London Press: “It’s just a precaution.

“We are going to try and get him out training tomorrow and see how he responds to that.”

Taylor has scored in five of the first six Championship games for Charlton. His performances have seen him shortlisted for August’s Championship Player of the Month.

The 29-year-old has scored 30 goals in 51 appearances for the Addicks.

2. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

A LOT more than that Mr ban Gerwen.

Attached Files:

3. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

A bit sad to read some Charlton fans mocking Taylor and mocking Montserrat because he has picked up an injury playing for them.
    If Lyle Taylor chooses to play International football for Montserrat that is his right, and nobody has legitimate grounds to question it.

Some Charlton fans might resent his choice; question the wisdom of it, question Taylor's motivation, or even suggest he should put loyalty to his Club ahead of loyalty to the country he chooses to play for.

Turn that question around for a moment.
    Given the choice, would any of us put loyalty to the people we work for above loyalty to our country?

It doesn't matter how much money Taylor is earning, or how big or powerful the Club he plays for might be.
    Lyle Taylor is an employee of CAFC. He is not the property of CAFC.
    It's football Clubs behaving as though they owned players body and soul that led us (via Bosman) to where we are today.

Bearing in mind the colonial history of Montserrat and the rest of the Caribbean, the inalienable right of Lyle Taylor to play for Montserrat if he wishes to should be respected all the more.

Would some fans be less upset with Taylor if he had picked up his injury playing for England?

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  4. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

I think the point about Taylor wasting his time playing for the international equivalent of a puddle is a valid one.

Bowyer must be tearing his hair out.

The player himself is now jeopardising his lucrative transfer in January. It’s crazy.

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

There is more to life than lucrative transfers.

6. User deleted as requested

Not for a professional footballer coming up to 30.

7. deleted.....

Although I agree with your previous post Lardi, there is not more to life than a lucrative transfer for a footballer.... a transfer in January to Brentford or perhaps someone bigger would get Lyle a £20,000 - £30,000 pw say 3 year contract worth £3.1m to £4.7m plus bonuses. If sensible (spending wise) he would be set for life especially if he moved to Montserrat where I guess £4.7m goes an awful long way.

8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Perhaps Lyle Taylor enjoys playing for Montserrat because their fans (all 150 of them according to one source) aren't chiefly concerned about how much money they can make from selling him.

9. deleted.....

Montserrat can't sell him Lardi, he's not contracted to them?

10. deleted.....

Not606 got a like on Twitter from Lyle <somersault>

You gotta love the man <hug>

11. User deleted as requested

Were you kissing his arse ?

He Blocks anyone who doesn’t ..

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Exactly my point.
    Taylor plays for Montserrat because he wants to. It means something to him; family heritage, pride... things like that.

There is a lot of sentimental mush talked in some quarters about what a happy family Charlton is at the moment, and how players are falling over themselves to turn down big money just for the joy of playing under Lee Bowyer.

I acknowledge that Bowyer is a manager that players want to play for.
    But at the end of the day Lyle Taylor plays for Charlton chiefly because they pay his wages. Not because he loves CAFC in the way he loves his heritage and his cultural identity.

As some people have pointed out, there is no advantage for Taylor in playing for Montserrat - at least no advantage that they can understand or see any value in. So automatically they conclude that he is wasting his time.

That's a pretty blinkered and disrespectful point of view in my opinion, and one that stems from Lyle Taylor being seen as an asset only, not a person.
    As I've said before Lyle Taylor works for Charlton Athletic. He doesn't belong to them.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  13. User deleted as requested

He (Taylor) is a tosser on social media, but we missed him yesterday. We had a sneak preview of what our team looks like after January.

I can’t believe that Leko, Aneke, Hemed & Kayal can collectively play that badly again.

I’m sure Bowyer was livid.

14. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I think if Taylor feels he wants to play at international level for his country, he should do so. It's equally as valid for him as an England player playing for England.
    Besides, if he gets called up, he has to go no? He seems to get a lot of pelters from Charlton fans for no real reason

15. User deleted as requested

3D00E257-7519-4D0D-AB1B-0ED7DF80A06C.jpeg Said it before, said it again. Taylor has been a good striker for us over the last 18 months, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that the bloke is a bit of an attention seeking arsehole.

He has fallen out with a few very decent Charlton fans on Twitter over Brexit ...where he eventually resorted to playing the race card when fans challenged him. Now this. I’m not a fan of Corbyn by any means, but you have to be on a wind up if you are feigning outrage when the Corbynite kids pelt you after your have slagged Jezza off. And this remark “I’m not a millionaire” hints at a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

DickPlumb likes this.
  16. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

I like the Striker for Charlton, but I don't like the man. He is a dick who can't take any criticism.

17. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

There are a few who could learn humility from the captain of the winning South Africa rugby team, Taylor among them.

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Twitter is a form of communication I'm not familiar with or comfortable with, so I just avoid it.

If Corbyn will take more of Taylor's income as tax should a Labour government be elected, and/or if Taylor has an issue with Corbyn's disapproval of folk who make their own fortunes through hard work or talent or innovation, then I have no problem at all with LT having his say about it on Twitter.

And if Corbyn's supporters give stick back to Taylor on Twitter, he has the right to argue with them as well.
    Unlike many of the people who criticize him on social media, or the trolls who give him online abuse, Lyle Taylor is not hiding behind anonymity, or a false identity.

Much of our communicating with each other is about attention seeking, whatever method we use.
    Most of us feel good being part of a community, a group sharing some views in common. Being Charlton fans is the obvious example here.
    We prefer to be part of the conversation rather than being left out of it. That's why we come here and chat.

I don't think LT is doing anything out of order really.
    He's just expressing himself using a fairly new kind of communication, one that means a great deal to some (mostly younger) folk, but nothing to others, including old codgers like me.

Good luck to him. And I hope he's fit enough to score some more goals soon for Charlton.

19. deleted.....

South Africa out played us, yes, they may have got some decisions go their way but that wasn't their fault they just played to the whistle and were the better team on the day …. congratulations to them and let's hope this win helps bring their Country together.

20. User deleted as requested

The only problem in South Africa is the corrupt & grossly incompetent ANC government. Lots of ANC supporters in Tokyo in rugby shirts, no doubt the white farmers paid.