1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ludlow Stewards - punter's friend or not enough tonic with their gin?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Chaninbar, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

I caught a little bit of the Morning Line yesterday where the panel was discussing the Jason Maquire ban. Subject to appeal he's set to miss the entire Cheltenham festival after Ludlow stewards ruled that he'd not tried hard enough on Ben Pauling's horse, Born to Succeed. This must be heartbreaking for the jockey who suffered a serious injury from a fall on the eve of last year's festival and was off the track for around 6 months. The feeling of the ML panel was that the punishment was extremely harsh. I've since had a look at the race and can't believe he's copped a ban. As punters I'm sure we can all recall tender rides that have cost us readies, but this instance to my eye, just doesn't fall into that category. Born to Succeed was extremely keen for the the first half of the race and hardly fluent at the obstacles. If you had put money on the animal you would have been fairly certain of the outcome with half a circuit to go. He did latch onto the leading group down the back straight but his early exertions then took their toll entering the home straight and Maquire brought him home in his own time. In addition to the jockey ban, the trainer copped a 3 grand fine and the horse has been order to stay in his barn for 40 days. Seems incredibly harsh to me. Thoughts?

2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Disgraceful from the stewards, as you say Chan the horse was far too keen for his own good in the first part of the race and was pulling Maguire's arms out. He HAD to try and get him to settle but by the time he did, he was well down the field. No doubt spent a fair bit of energy getting closer to the leaders down the back straight and, whilst he did get closer, he was under heavy driving in the final bend. Maguire used the whip in the final part of the bend but there was no response from Born To Succeed (well what would you expect from a novice on hurdle debut who has pulled far too hard on testing ground??). He was allowed to come home in his own time and passed a couple of even wearier horses but no way would he have got anywhere near place money. I just do not understand the logic behind the ban and it must be sickening for Maguire, particularly after the injury.

I assume he is appealing?

3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Yep he's appealing Oddy. Just watched a race at Fontwell where the jockey sat motionless on her mount for the entire race and finished second. I suspect the Ludlow stewards would have banned her for a year.

4. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I've watched this race a few times, and i feel Maguire gave up to early on the horse. It was a poor ride in general not allowing the horse his head in the early stages, and then getting him to make up lots of ground on the leading pack. I can understand pulling him back if your in touch with the main pack, but I don't understand doing it and allowing the lead pack to get so far ahead.

The horse may not have been good enough to figure in the finish thanks to the bad ride it had received, however he still should have tried much harder than he did. It's amazing what some horses can find if given a serious whack. Not all horses respond instantly to the whip, they need a few whacks before they'll start putting in maximum effort.

The morning line obviously would come down on the jockeys side, as they always do in these situations, as there never likely to want the Ludlow stewards on as guests.

It's harsh that he misses Cheltenham, but he definitely deserved some sort of ban for the ride. Its just unfortunate for him that it falls during Cheltenham.

5. OddDog

Staff Member

If he'd done that he'd have been pulled up 3 out. One of the main things these young horses need to learn is to settle early in their races. If they are fighting for their head early doors, the jockey has got to find them a bit of cover and try and get them settled. "Allowing the horse his head" is the worst thing a jockey can do with a young, fresh horse in that situation - he will pull away his chances. You see it every day in novice hurdle races and every jockey does it - try and get the horse to settle. This is not only a short-term action (in terms of giving the horse the best chance to win the actual race) but an invaluable part of a young horse's education.

6. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I realise that oddy, but I just thought he made the horse go even slower than the race required the horse to go. I think he should of at least allowed the horse abit more reign early on. He allowed the horse to get very detached from the main pack.

7. OddDog

Staff Member

I guess it's all subjective Shergar, I was a little surprised how quick they went in front to be honest but the official going was only good to soft. Looked deeper to me so I could understand him taking a pull early on to get him settled. But he then had to react as the first 5 or 6 looked like geting away. At the end of the day the horse wasn't fancied (25/1 I think??) it would have been much worse if he were on a 2/1 shot.