1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Luck

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Rhodthesod, May 11, 2016.

1. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

There is a belief that luck / dodgey decisions balances out over the season. At one point we seemed to be suffering more than our share of bad luck and rubbishy decisions. With one game to go, ant thoughts on this?

2. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Swings and roundabouts......you have to make your own luck...

3. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed about us this season , as decisions weren't going our way ..lol.. , every time we played a game it seemed our opponents had severe injury and suspension problems . Maybe evened itself out that way .At one time we also hit the woodwork more than any other team , I think Arsenal overtook us when we played them and won and they hit ours 3 times .

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  4. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I hate that saying. I mean really. "It evens out over a season" is one of those useless, throwaway lines that people use when their team has been hard done by and they are clutching at straws or when you've just got the rub of the green. It means NOTHING.

For the statement to be true you would have to get EXACTLY the same number of good decisions as bad. That's virtually impossible. Furthermore, you'd have to get exactly the same number of CRUCIAL good decisions and bad. Now that is even less likely.

Luck is part of the game. A lucky bounce, a lucky deflection, a lucky decision. Same goes for bad luck. But to say it evens out is bollocks. Hitting the woodwork I don't count as bad luck because it's a miss - but that's just my opinion. If it gets an unlucky deflection when it was going in and hits the post that may be bad luck. It's good luck if it was going wide but goes in.

A team may have approximately the same amount of bad and good luck over a season, but I should imagine it's very rare that it truly evens out.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. London_Jack

London_Jack Well-Known Member

The Sunderland game...epitomises our luck this season.

6. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

But it evens out over a season. <laugh>

7. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

It will even out next season, when we take 6 points from them...........<cheers>

Rhodthesod likes this.
  8. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

It was the Sunderland game that made me think of this. Almost thought some bungs were going on for that game, a gift of three points which probably kept them up. A decision that was overturned without a fight.

We also seem to have a crap run in most years and rarely seem to start at home.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  9. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Epitomises Curtis's luck too ...and I don't even know what it means .
    Jenkin's blinked after the Sunderland game and Curtis moved over a bit to make room for Guidolin .