1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic London Calling: Summer Holidays Abroad 2021 in doubt?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Blond Bombshell, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

All my wife wants is for people to recognise the damage this government has done to all public services and promise to never vote Tory again.

DH4 and Blond Bombshell like this.
  2. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

My mrs a , nurse says exactly the same

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  3. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

My general point was that the population of France isn't equally spread around the whole of the country. If it were then there'd be an obvious advantage in France where there are currently around 15,000 less Covid deaths.

The reality is that around 80% of people, in both the UK and France, live in urban areas.

4. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Comparing Greater London and Ile de France areas, Paris has a population density of 20,700 people per square kilometre and London a population density of 5,518 people per square kilometre

Smug in Boots likes this.
  5. Smug in Boots

Around 4 times more, which was what I way saying, although that was just an example.

The point is that, even though France has twice the land area than the UK, the amount of people living in urban areas is roughly the same, 80%.

From memory Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world, around 90%, so the supposed advantage of people spread out into a large surface area there isn't strictly true either.

I'm sure the Aussie posters would know if that's true or not.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  6. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Some on here believe we should be praising this government.

DH4 likes this.
  7. Pure River Slut

Beggars belief man. They are incompetent, manipulative and have no empathy.

DH4 likes this.
  8. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

but that's not the population density of Ile de France. thats the population density of central Paris, which is a v small area
    ile de france is much lower density, closer to 1,000 per sqkm.
    but you can't compare ile de france to greater london - which was my point - they're completely different in size and composition.
    i have worked this out before, but i ain't feeling like firing up the laptop now

Montysoptician and Smug in Boots like this.
  9. Smug in Boots

Like I said mate, it's not the point I was making ...

... its basically that France and the UK have urbanised population of around 80%.

Just because France is bigger doesn't mean their population is more spread out to any great degree yet has significantly less deaths from Covid.

I don't know why that is so not claiming France is any better, it doesn't feel any better.

10. Montysoptician

It's not, it's the recognised population density of Paris compared to the recognised population density of London

https://viatravelers.com/london-vs-paris/

http://comparecities.org/en/compare/London-Paris

Edit: Sorry @Nordic you are right about Ile de France, but the figures I gave you are the recognised comparison figures for London and Paris population densities.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

11. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Agreed. populations are concentrated in urban areas. just above 80%. Uk slightly higher.
    but border control is a different issue entirely, given France has 6 contiguous countries stretching along a very land border.

12. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

i was replying to Monty Smug. . i replied to you seperately

13. Montysoptician

You were right about Ile de France Nordic, my apologies. The figures I quoted were for Greater Paris and Greater London.

14. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I think its important to assess the way the government have handled the pandemic without any kind of bias.
    My wife is a teacher and I have a daughter of school age. So that element of it is what impacts my life day to day. They have been absolutely bloody awful over schools and have shown absolutely no consideration for the welfare of teachers.
    On the other hand, the furlough scheme seems to have been helpful to several small to medium sized businesses that I know and could well have been the difference between staying afloat and going under. The work that Rishi Sunak had done appears to have been very good and benefitted a lot of businesses.
    As has been said previously, they were quick to secure access to vaccines and, as far as I know, have provided large amounts of funding to vaccine research.
    They should undoubtedly receive criticism for what they have done badly (of which there is clearly a lot) but that means that, in a fair and just world, they should also receive praise for what they have done well (and there clearly are things that have been successes).
    While its been one of the most used clichés during the pandemic, it remains true that we have no way of knowing how any other government would have guided the UK through this crisis.
    This is not the time for party rhetoric. What is required is unbiased but critical analysis of what the government have done right and what they've done wrong.

15. Smug in Boots

We could've closed our borders in the Spring just as we're doing now, too late as usual.

Closing land borders between France and Germany is much more difficult when so many people commute between the two.

Nordic likes this.
  16. Smug in Boots

That just about sums it up for me, a very fair analysis imo.

17. Pure River Slut

Rishi’eat out to help reinfection’ Sunak ? Aye I am judging them on their performance. They’re dreadful. If they didn’t support business the vulnerable bad Brexit deal economy would collapse so they got the Bank of England to print more money, now they’re cutting the living wages of low paid workers to pay it off while Johnson Sunak and co visit their second homes. They’re a dreadful bunch of uncaring humans who are incompetent and a few working class people need to admit they got it wrong. But some won’t cos hating foreigners matters more than caring for hungry children.

18. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

No need to apologise Monty, I get that, and I'm not trying to be an arse, but I analyse markets for a living and have developed more comprable standards of these cities & catchments, their populations, economies and so forth using a combbnation of postcode, NUTS statistical areas, drive trimes snd transit times..... amongst other things.

Smug in Boots and Montysoptician like this.
  19. Montysoptician

I've just sat with the calculator and worked it out myself instead of reading stats Nordic. I get what they sat about lies, damned lies and statistics <laugh>

Nordic likes this.
  20. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

I think of it with a football analogy should we praise Jason Steele and Lee Camp because they made one or two saves throughout the season or should we say they were ****e because of the mistakes they made and the volume of mistakes they made?