1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ out (or not)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Prehab26, Nov 2, 2021.

?

In or out ?

1. In

22 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Out

97 vote(s)
    63.4%
  3. Still undecided

34 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

Yep, hands up here, I got it wrong, I said the players would hang LJ out to dry today, but they actually dug in and ground out a result. If we show that kind of resilience for the rest of the season, we have a fighting chance. Maybe the changes forced upon him we're a gift of fate, but I'll take that. We now have to make sure we capitalise on today's 3 points in the coming games. We

2. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Fair play mate. I agree with you they really dug in. I have been Bailey Wrights biggest critic, but he is making me eat my words. Last few games he has left everything on the pitch and that is all anyone can ever ask.

I still think we need more players in Jan. Broadhead scored a hell of a goal today, and I hope he can go on and get 12+ league goals. I would go all out for another ready made striker though. We are also going to need another CM as well with O'Nien out. I love the youth we are chasing but a 30 something might be the ticket in there. Somebody like Bradley Johnson from Blackburn could be a player to make a difference for example.

Porterfield73 likes this.
  3. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Can we just tell Blackburn we picked up the wrong item and exchange Johnson with Evans :emoticon-0131-angel

clockstander, Oldsandy and FellTop like this.
  4. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

to be fair to yourself, i think a few others were thinking along the same lines because it was/is just hard to fathom how a team can go from one style of play to a completely different one but they have shown today they can do the business.

Porterfield73 likes this.
  5. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

Good shout eh?
    <cracker>

6. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

Proved a lot of people wrong, with a depleted squad as well. Well done LJ

7. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

<applause> well done mate.:emoticon-0148-yes:

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Credit to the lads who argued for Johnson and stuck by him when we had that ****ty run.

We could so easily have sacked him and gone backwards.

9. Wes

Wes Well-Known Member

Found a system (possibly accidentally due to injuries and availability) that suits the players and they have been excellent lately!
    He’s stopped being negative and gone after teams, tonight is the best I have seen them in this league and puts the pressure on those around us!

10. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeah we continue to play when we are in front
    We don’t sit back

11. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

I think its obvious Johnson works better with a smaller squad.
    When everbodys fit i think he tends to overthink things too much and make tactics and team selections harder than they need to be.

12. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

when this thread began there were more than a few of us who were thinking along the same lines mind so no calling the OP on this.

we asked for improvements and they started to come both in defence and attack, now some will say LJ stumbled across a good 11 due to injuries but that would not explain it all as there have been more injuries and problems since and we just seem to be getting better...right now i am more than happy to give LJ the credit he deserves along with the squad who, to a man, look like they would run through brick walls for him then look for the next one.

i hope everyone took note of the reactions for callum and benji's goals, the team spirit looks as solid as it can be as well.

13. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

This is the issue for me.

This run with a depleted squad has meant a regular formation and starting 11, which on form appear to be firing on all cylinders. With players coming back he doesn't néed to change things, just keep them pushing on

Gatesy and Teessidemackem like this.
  14. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

I just hope we don't go on another bad streak at the wrong time of the season. We've already been on 2 unexpected bad streaks with LJ. That's not me being negative it's me being a typical Sunderland fan of a certain age lol.
    I'm ecstatic at the minute and we are gaining rapid momentum and scoring for fun and keeping clean sheets...also putting a statement out to the rest.
    Ha'way the lads!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  15. ab65

ab65 Well-Known Member

Got to be honest I was never convinced by Johnson and I’ve still got concerns about whether he will get us over the line this season.
    I’m encouraged by us signing the likes of Cirkin, Huggins, Pritchard on permanent deals in the summer and Stewart and Winchester from last season look different propositions.
    If possible I’d sign both the German lads and hope we can strengthen our starting eleven at RB, CB, CDM and Broadhead role up top.
    Whilst not a fan of Johnson I really want him to succeed.
    HTL

clockstander and Wes like this.
  16. Lozza80

Lozza80 Well-Known Member

In my lifetime in supporting safc which Is 30 odd years , I'm not sure a manager has ever changed my opinion on them as much as Johnson.
    Fair play to him I hold my hands up and happily admit I was wrong
    Hopefully a positive transfer window and were really looking good

17. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

I don't think there was ever any problem with people having reservations, even if I though the best plan was to stick.

Clearly, the club wants to stop the constant revolving door carry on anyway.

But we all want the same thing, and being frustrated is just part of it. Maybe we won't make it, but this is a young team that is growing before our eyes, and I'd rather watch that than a team of ready made plodders who " know the league".

I just sense a big step was taken tonight.

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I've suspected from the start after his first couple of media bits that Dreyfus knew what he was doing. The fact he stuck with Johnson when most of us on here were either falling off the fence or on the Johnson out side is a credit to him.

Seems like we've got a wealthy 24 year old owner who knows more about football than a lot of us do. Lucky us hey. Good times.

19. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Agree 100% Tees

Teessidemackem likes this.
  20. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Really interesting point this. Think you’re spot on.

He’s clearly a good coach and a good tactician. As he’s moulded a really good system out of what he’s got now. As you say, it’s when he’s got too many options he seems to second guess himself / over-do the tinkering.

Teessidemackem likes this.