1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ out (or not)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Prehab26, Nov 2, 2021.

?

In or out ?

1. In

22 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Out

97 vote(s)
    63.4%
  3. Still undecided

34 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

I'm all for a long term strategy mate, although its probably more relevant to the younger posters. I dont think the bit about a one trick pony is aimed at me cos I never mentioned one. Im all for a long term project but that doesn't mean that Head Coaches cant be held accountable in the short term

2. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Think that was off the back of losing 4-1 to Liverpool :emoticon-0136-giggl
    Didn't do very well that season, worst team bar the skunks <laugh><laugh>

3. No,it wasn't aimed at you....I was thinking of the Warnocks,Pulis and so on,who have made their name with a record of getting promotion with a certain type of football.

4. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I spoke to a mate who supports them when he was appointed as I wasnt sure what to make of him. He was positive about him overall, trys to play footy, bought some decent players, moved them forward overall as a club. Not without faults, but if he was he would be in the premier league.

Looks like they have fallen off a cliff since he was sacked too. Despite have Pearson in charge now, who was not an unpopular suggestion on here.

Robertson, clockstander and Nig like this.
  5. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I am not sure when the last time LJ and KLD played golf together.

But even if they are 'mates' not just boss and employer ... its a law 'of the Medes and Persians'... that when a football manager loses 'a lot' of games he is sacked.

I would expect that LJs bosses are trawling through potential replacements as we post.

What constitutes 'a lot' i do not know... but by the end of December I expect to have the answer.

6. Confucius

I want us to try something different and think outside the box mate. Did Blackpool strike lucky with Critchley or did they do in depth analysis? That is the sort of thing I am looking for instead of run of the mill has beens

7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Maybe he doesn't, but a good owner should understand things better than that. All of this talk of him not being good enough is grounded in the concept that managers alone are responsible for good or bad results. Managers will tell you that if they lose a few games, they're the worst manager in the world, but win a few and the team are amazing. I would argue that the players are at least 70% responsible for the poor results recently and that could be down to form, not listening to instructions, complacency, or any several things. Fans assume that its all the manager's fault and owners/board members are happy to go along with that as it keeps the heat off them.

Robertson and Nig like this.
  8. Chip

Chip Well-Known Member

I would have said that given the staff recruitment undertaken so far that KLD definitely has his eye on promotion as a priority and will not be happy if we don't achieve it at the first time of asking. If he wasn't really too bothered he would not have gone to the expense of a championship setup in league one. He must be considering his options seriously at the moment, he would be a fool if hew wasn't to be honest.

Warnock would be a high profile appointment at this level and would be an upgrade on Johnson (even with plenty of miles on the clock) with his experience over decades rather than a few years - might be what we need.

Would he work under a DOF at his stage in life/career? thats the million dollar question.

rooch 3 and Makemstine Roger like this.
  9. Confucius

again though its all about opinions. on RTG City fans told us what to expect and to date they've been spot on. There are also City fans who were glad he was sacked, although since then not so enamoured with Dean Holden and Pearson. They might have just fell in the same trap as us and employing the wrong fit.

Oldsandy and Makemstine Roger like this.
  10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Me too, but sadly doing the same thing over and over , expecting different results is akin to folly, it has to stop.

11. Confucius

As a manager you will always be responsible. It could also be down to failing to get your communication across, talk in riddles, not understanding instructions, its all guesswork. Of course players are to blame also , what must Adkins be thinking? But it is up to them to get the best out the people at their disposal. I don't agree with players downing tools, we saw it here with Di Canio and Chelsea saw it with Mourinho. It will happen but ultimately if you are not playing as a team, nor pulling together, then its the head of the team who is failing. That applies to any walk of life

12. Any new coach will likely need time, something we just don't have.

13. Confucius

Lets put this another way, I am all for giving people time if they have shown an inkling of learning from their mistakes and improving
    After the Charlton game, Johnson said he could "smell" something like that happening before the game and it wouldn't happen again. Luckily for him it didnt happen again. It happened again and again and again

14. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

nice post raising a few issues reference how you perceive KLD could react

Chip likes this.
  15. Confucius

well that's true. Sunderland fans turning up to watch shirts dry is taking a bit of an advantage, but it wont last forever

16. Chip

Chip Well-Known Member

That's a lot of cash spunked up the wall with nothing to show for it if that's the philosophy of KLD. Failure at this level will undoubtedly mean high player turnover as the owner backing the manager means its the players that are at fault at the end of each season.

If the scouting network is right, the academy is right and the way we pick players is right surely changing the manager each season is the most cost effective way of increasing the chance of success. Its the tweak in personnel that gives the biggest bang for your buck and least upheaval. It should not be so difficult at this level to be honest. We seem intent of making getting out of L1 as difficult as establishing a colony on Mars!

Robertson and Makemstine Roger like this.
  17. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Of course mate, all about opinions. I know fans wanted him gone at City, but a bit like us there would be others who wanted him to stay.

Makemstine Roger and Confucius like this.
  18. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Oooooh! Decisions decisions. I can feel my head ready to blow off<laugh>

Oldsandy and Makemstine Roger like this.
  19. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Of course I hope LJ gets it right and we go on a winning streak.... my doubts the last month or so have grown.

Even a couple of days later the substitution he made bringing Evans on and reorganisation that was needed to accommodate him seems reven worse.

Random lad likes this.
  20. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Disagree. I've had bad bosses and its never stopped me doing the best that I can and equally its not been a good boss' fault I've made a mistake.
    The same applies to football. A manager can give instructions but its the players who have to carry out the instructions. This idea that poor results are solely the fault of a manager is a convenient story that we tell ourselves. Its only the manager's fault inasmuch as he's paid to take the blame for the player's mistakes.