1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ out (or not)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Prehab26, Nov 2, 2021.

?

In or out ?

1. In

22 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Out

97 vote(s)
    63.4%
  3. Still undecided

34 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

don't agree mate we have to get out of this league, we are not going to do it with LJ , so its a matter of when not if the trigger will be pulled, people can call Warnock but he is head and shoulders above LJ , and there wont be long term plans down here, all the plans are geared for promotion are they not

Oldsandy, Random lad and Chip like this.
  2. Under the new ownership we're clearly trying to develop a club philosophy and mentality,something that has been sorely needed for years and years. KLD and KS obviously decided LJ was a coach who would buy into that way of doing things and was progressive enough to make it work.
    However,a year on,I suppose it comes down to whether they still think LJ is the right man and to allow him the time or whether the risk of missing out this season,and thus spending yet another year in this division, is too much for everyone to bear.
    If they were to decide to replace LJ,I would be amazed if it was a like for like appointment. I think they would go for someone who would be almost an interim appointment,who would get us promoted and then amicably leave,allowing them to appoint the kind of coach they really want for the league above.

3. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

It does. I don't blame anyone for wanting to get out of League 1 now. Its down to personal preference I suppose. I just want to see the club try something different and I'm quite happy to wait on KLD's plan to see that happen.

4. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

I replied to your reply to Norton but you'd clocked it up so my reply to you made me look like a senile dripping fool <laugh>

5. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

this is a good point, we keep getting told that 'sunderland are a premier league club in all but name' and many times we get reminded that we have the best facilities and the biggest budget by far, we quite often have a bench that would walk into most first team squads in this league and yet here we are staring at possibly another season here.

ok, i get that we are 'the big fish' at the moment and teams tend to up their game when they play us as we are a big scalp to some (you beat them, they are basically a premiership club, you can beat anyone in this league) but surely that also means we need a manager that can motivate our players to up their game (show the rest of this league that we deserve to be out of it)...unfortunately, we are right now a mediocre third division club with third division players and a third division manager and something HAS to change.

6. Makemstine Roger

5 year plan sound good but we are league 1 and the wheels come off how do we fix it,stay here for another year with a manager the fans will detest if this farce goes on

7. The Norton Cat

Certainly a realistic possibility. Would be a gamble though, I think. What happens if the interim doesn't get us promoted though?

8. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

People are getting carried away with this "long term" project. That wont apply if the Head Coach is letting you down. The long term philosophy is build the clubs foundations improve at every level, give it direction so that any future appointments fit the same ideals
    Are posters suggesting that if he loses 5 games off the trot that he wont be sacked or does the long term strategy not apply then

9. Makemstine Roger

But then we have the same scenario in what if LJ doesn't get us promoted, as Rooch says an interim appointment with a get us up contract if successful is the best way to go in my opinion, then another negotiation from the stronger position of the championship where we can spend more on better Players who would be more inclined to come , and get manager who does give our youth like Diamond and Younger more chances

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  10. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I looked at it differently mate, maybe wrongly. He was longest serving championship manager at bristol city which bearing in mind the fickle nature of football is probably notable. Also he wasnt popular with City fans because he signed a player from Rovers I think but he rode it out.

Took them to edge of play offs and cup semis, which arguably for them was punching well above their weight at the time.

All about perspective and opinions I suppose.

SAFCDRUM, safc-noggieland and rooch 3 like this.

11. The Norton Cat

You've wasted money on a gamble though. You'd have paid Johnson off to be in the same place. I'd rather give one manager time to get it right.

12. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

He’s going nowhere.
    It’s a lovely winter’s day and I believe we’ll be in the top two by the new year.

13. The Norton Cat

If he loses five on the trot, he'll be out as the knives are already out for him. He shouldn't be though. As an owner I'd be looking to give a manager at least three years to get things going in the right direction, unless relegation was on the cards.

14. That's the risk.....give him an 18 month clause...if we don't get up this year,have another go. LJ is on pretty much the same thing with a contract through to June 2023,although I suppose he's now hoping he'll get a year in the Championship out of that.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  15. Makemstine Roger

Same applies you will have wasted money by not getting promoted under LJ, and what you pay in severance will be peanuts compared to the tv rights ect of the championship, televised games and a wider audience with more chance of bigger home crowds watching a better standard of football which all loyal fans want.
    It all makes sense to me rather than hanging on to a what if dream under LJ, the getting rid points far outweigh the keep him on scenario, all i see is win win if he goes

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    clockstander likes this.
  16. I suppose we're really debating whether the long term strategy wouldn't be better put on hold till we get promoted by appointing a one-trick pony manager,without an eye for the future, who'll get us up at the first attempt.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. Confucius

yes I read that too, but ultimately after 4 years his best place was 8th with 70 points, 19 behind the autos and 4 off play offs, despite them being 5th towards the end of the season (that moght ring some bells with us too). The following season he had them in 12th and blamed Covid for the team not gelling
    He also took them backwards in his first full season and was sacked with 3 years still to run on his contract. Hes very average, hit and miss and as they say "streaky". Its on record I never wanted him because of the above. People may have saw him as a good fit, I didn't and I don't see how giving him more time is going to work. Its not about breaking the cycle of sacking managers, its breaking the cycle of employing poor to average ones.

18. Confucius

so if we lose 5 on the trot, he's sacked then it isn't about supporters having the knives out already. maybe just maybe the owner might think he just isnt up to the job

19. Makemstine Roger

That there is the perfect quote says it all really

20. As much as I sympathise with your arguments for stability and continuity,given that we're one year into that time frame,I don't think we can stand another 2 years in this league.