1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ - 'Depends what your ambition is'

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 19, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'Depends what your ambition is' - Lee Johnson outlines Bristol City's position in the transfer window
    The Robins head coach wants to strengthen his squad but admits it's proving a difficult to get anything done

Immediately after attending to his press duties on Saturday night in the wake of Bristol City's 1-0 win over Barnsley, Lee Johnson met CEO Mark Ashton for a discussion on transfer targets and potential developments in a frustrating market.

Bristol City are not alone in failing to make any additions but with just 12 days of the window remaining, Johnson is forecasting a mad dash at the end of the month due to a lack of movement throughout English football.

Since December, Johnson has maintained his commitment to strengthening two positions - thought to be in attack and either defensive midfield or centre-back - with the head coach hopeful of at least two players arriving before February 1.

But in a week after they missed out on Arsenal's Eddie Nketiah for a second time to enhance the sense of anguish, as the Gunners decided against loaning the striker out, Johnson delivered this not-so-subtle message.

"I think it depends what your ambition is," Johnson said. "I think we need to get a couple in. I think that you need quality, not quantity and that’s the problem because there isn’t a lot.

"You’ve got to either go the extra mile financially to do it, whether that be on a long term or a short term, or you’ve got to stick with what you’ve got and promote from within.

"That bit [securing targets] is not down to me. Without putting too much pressure on Mark Ashton, that’s his job. The pressure of winning football matches and the talent ID is down to me but it’s his job to do his very best.

"I just think that there’s not much moving because it’s like a house chain.

"If something happens in that particular club where a player gets injured, what happens is, the chain completely falls down where we want their players, teams want our players and then teams at that club then can’t get rid of their players and it’s a domino effect that moves through football.

"What’s more than likely is a mad rush in the last 48 hours of the window."

When asked to clarify his comments on exactly who or what he meant by using the word "ambition" in a question about transfers, Johnson used Fulham as the benchmark.

"You look at Fulham’s squad last night (Friday) - it’s a fantastic squad. That is a top, top squad and they’re who we’re competing with so we’ve got to get the same sort of quality," Johnson said.

"Whether that’s nurture, purchase, develop, it doesn’t really matter but we are ambitious and we’ve got to prove it on the pitch, on the park."

Clearly and understandably there is an element of frustration from the head coach as the window has not gone according to plan so far.

January is always a problematic time to make additions; clubs don't want to release players at that stage of the season so prices are inflated, while there is no pre-season to try and integrate any new individuals into the squad.

Johnson did imply the club are seeking players from Premier League clubs - whether that be on permanent or loan deals - but to secure such marquee targets, you're then at the mercy of the parent clubs who can change their mind (such as in the case of Nketiah).

It then becomes a game of chance and circumstance regarding players in the Championship and financial and football risk if you want to pay extra to sign a player from League One or Europe.

"You know your place at the table, it all stems from the top level on what they do and what they’re willing to let out. Because inevitably, the quality comes from there; whether it be young players, and it then either becomes a financial reason or a falling out if you’re going to get another Championship player," Johnson added.

"Or you can recruit from lower down where you’re going to have to pay a hefty price because it’s a January tax or you go foreign which you don’t really want to do because you know that it’s hard to come in to England into the Championship and hit the ground running.

"It’ll be interesting to see the stats on how many strikers for example come over in January and bang in 10 goals from abroad."

There have been only 19 deals completed - five permanent and 14 loans - into Championship clubs with teams still sizing up their options and waiting their turn as they look to land targets.

"There’s so much that goes into it," Johnson said. "You’re talking agents, agent fees, family fees, there’s all sorts of fees coming out of everywhere at the moment and it’s a very expensive window.

"But there are people desperate chasing that honeypot of the 200 million that it’s worth to get into the Premier League, so there’s various ways to do it.

"I would be happy with my squad as long as you could guarantee me no more injuries but unfortunately that’s unrealistic in this crazy, intense Championship that we’re in and I feel that we need a couple at least."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/lee-johnson-explains-bristol-city-3753858

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I believe that whoever’s fault it may be, but we tried and concentrated on Nketiah.
    You could see by reading OTIB us fans was clambering for him to sign and the club went all out to pacifying the fans.
    Hopefully some of history repeats where we failed last time, and turned our attention to Afobe, just without the injury.
    I’m starting to come round after seeing Afobe in our team he is similar to Assombalonga. So if he’s available maybe I would like us to go for him.

3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I reckon your hot RoD reference Assambolonga

I feel for LJ it seems he has had a pop at Ashton and the board.

The pressure is intense on the manager.

He needs a Barry Bannon and two strikers.

i would sell Weimann and keep Fammy.

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

* LJ says,"I think we need to get a couple in. I think that you need quality, not quantity"

* LJ says,"You’ve got to either go the extra mile financially to do it, whether that be on a long term or a short term"

* LJ says,"That bit [securing targets] is not down to me. Without putting too much pressure on Mark Ashton, that’s his job"

* Johnson did imply the club are seeking players from Premier League clubs - whether that be on permanent or loan deals - but to secure such marquee targets, you're then at the mercy of the parent clubs who can change their mind (such as in the case of Nketiah).

* LJ says "You know your place at the table, it all stems from the top level on what they do and what they’re willing to let out.

* "There’s so much that goes into it," Johnson said. "You’re talking agents, agent fees, family fees, there’s all sorts of fees coming out of everywhere at the moment and it’s a very expensive window.

* LJ says "But there are people desperate chasing that honeypot of the 200 million that it’s worth to get into the Premier League, so there’s various ways to do it.

* LJ says "I would be happy with my squad as long as you could guarantee me no more injuries but unfortunately that’s unrealistic in this crazy, intense Championship that we’re in and I feel that we need a couple at least."

These are only bullets points from the article but it seems to say, LJ wants a couple of quality players, not quantity, he states quite plainly you have to be ambitous and be prepared to spend the money but the financing and securing of players is down to Mark Ashton because it's not down to LJ.

We are following the route of knocking on Premier League clubs for permanent signing or loan deals and we know our place at the table, there are lots of people in there with their fingers in the pie demanding fees, there is also others that know the honeypot is worth 200 million if you get to the Premier and there are other ways different to the route we are following to get there, he then repeats at the conclusion that we need a couple of players at least.

This tells me he has got the need and ambition to sign more players, it's not his fault and it's down to Mark Ashton to secure the players and the board to provide the finance if they have the ambition and desire to get in to the Premier and grab their share of the 200 million honeypot.

I must admit that over the LJ years the the signings and funds have always been there but is the extra spend there to make that final jump and have thay got the faith in LJ to make it happen.

I'm just reading between the lines and asking you to cast your thoughts.