1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool loss gives us hope.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Remarkable effort to run Liverpool to the wire in Istanbul. No way were they any better than us, just better drilled and more experienced. We created loads of chances and half chances, but once again the lack of goalscorers and 2 offside "goals" went against us. Liverpool looked to have goals from anyone across their front line, but by no means dominated the game.
    Kepa, a couple of seriously good stops and very unlucky not to save 2 in the shoot out. Dave looked sharper, Zouma a big improvement Christensen still a bit scratchy and Emerson outstanding again. Jorghino still doesn't set up enough scoring chances for me, but was solid enough, Kovacic I thought did a mountain of work. Kante was simply brilliant, the man is superhuman and Liverpool just couldn't handle him. Likewise Pedro, his best game for some time.Giroud scored a well taken goal and troubled Van Dyke for 75 mins before fading.Pulisic is looking every bit as good as hoped for. Mount was unlucky, Barkley did little as he too often does, Abraham has plenty to prove and a bit to worry about, Tomori had no time to impress.
    Whole team did us proud.

The Ginger Marks and Naas Blue like this.
  2. Naas Blue

Naas Blue Well-Known Member

Not much to add to that synopsis C.P. Am liking what i see so far. Would love to be going to the Bridge on Sunday. Let's hope we get the 3 points and get this "little horse" running !!!

3. Chelsea Pensioner

So far ,like you, there's plenty to like. Kids may not win us anything, but by seasons end they won't be just kids, they'll be experienced kids, and our future looks brighter than for some time. Kante and Giroud' experience made a huge difference, as should Rudi. Add RLC and CHO into the mix plus Reece James, we have the makings of a great team for next season. If we get the ban reduced and bring in another striker in January, we'll rattle a few cages this year as well.

4. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

I'd imagine I'd be quite excited as a Chelsea fan at the moment, club legend in charge who will probably be given the chance and more time than his predecessors to build something rather than the quick fix revolving door policy of roman and managers of previous years.

Didn't see every minute as I was distracted by a visitor around 50minsaand my stream died just before the first penalty <grr>
    but it Was an entertaining game in all from what I saw, I was impressed by how perky you looked after the defeat to utd tbh, its encouraging from your perspective. I think lampard will make a decent side out of those young lads I believe.
    Abraham on the weekend and pulsic today with him looked like they could be very decent players for yous.

I didn't think we played that well tbh, found it hard to keep a rhythm at times and was sloppy in possession, also cought us out with the same diagonal through ball too many times as we tried to play offside.

But Yeh glad to win. Good advert for the prem I think.

5. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Very happy with our performance against a class Liverpool side, who'll be fighting City for the title. Excellent game for a so called friendly.

The Ginger Marks and Sucky like this.
  6. Chelsea Pensioner

Great game for fans of both teams. Honours pretty even, your more experienced team overcame and showed up some nervousness in our youngsters, but nevertheless they all played out of their skins. Tough call for our squad after the dismal shellacking against a United team I honestly think is bog ordinary. Better than last year for sure, but that's not hard. Don't rate Ollie and don't think he'll be there at seasons end. Don't usually make predictions like that , but here we are.
    Liverpool have a slickness in their attack and make length of the field attacks a 3 pass passage of play. Well organised, fast with goals from all over the team. That said, the defence is not difficult to rattle if a team sticks it to them. Early days, and you will be knocking on the door again , but I think you need to look at better midfield cover for your defence if you are to roll City. Good luck and what a gentleman you have in your manager. A class act but a funster with it.

Sucky likes this.
  7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Only caught bits of the match and i normally call this europes community shield.

Saying that both teams wanted to win it and played hard so it was good to see how we compared to liverpool land we arent far away at all.

I see we went back to the old guard pretty much. Think that tells is own story.

Tammy had some pretty bad misses and his penalty was shocking to say the least. However, even though im not his biggest fan, i can see hes got pace and power and he needs to work on his hold up play as well as his confidence. I hope none of the fans get on his back and we give him a proper run even if he currently he isnt the best option as striker

The Ides of March likes this.
  8. Neither here or there

Neither here or there Active Member

Felt you guys were somewhat unlucky last night, more clinical finishing would have seen you a few up by halftime. Despite Liverpool being so sloppy at times, it looked like Chelsea were up for it more. Wouldnt feel too disappointed , the effort is there just need the rub.

Blueman likes this.
  9. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Was a good performance all round really and although we started the game with more experience in our team I actually thought we got better once Mount and Abraham came on. Bit more pace and energy up front as they looked like they were tiring. I actually Abraham was really good up against Van Dijk but hopefully the pen doesn’t knock his confidence, can happen to anyone.

Kante was unreal, comfortably the best player on the pitch, Emerson didn’t give Salah a look in and Jorginho ran the game second half onwards.

Was pleased with how we matched them and it’s not like we were lucky to get a draw either. We’ve looked good for 180 of the 210 minutes we’ve played so far this season tbf, was just that crazy 30 minute period against United which ruined it.

The weekend game was already difficult as Leicester are decent but after last night it’s probably get even harder!

Bullet tooth Tony and Bodinki like this.
  10. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Luck not on our side at the moment,but happy with what i've seen so far,Kante is in a league of his own,
    is there anyone better?.

11. Sucky

Fabinho <whistle>

Blueman likes this.
  12. Blueman

<laugh>

Sucky likes this.
  13. Sucky

No **** mate. :emoticon-0148-yes:

14. Blueman

Stop it mate, you're killing me. <laugh>

Sucky likes this.
  15. The Ginger Marks

Nice one Sucky. <ok>

16. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

My hope is that Tammy Abraham gets a brace of goals at the weekend, and goes on to score 20+ goals over the season. I feel he may be a tad anxious to score his first competitive goal in a Chelsea shirt, resulting in him snatching at chances, and in the missed penalty. Someone mentioned about buying a striker at the next opportunity. I hope he and your other Young players like Hudson-Odoi, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Mount and James really prove themselves at the top level.

PS: Heard that TA was racially abused. Who is to say the perpetrators were even Chelsea fans?

Good luck for the season.

17. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Kante was on another level, really looked like the man we bought a few years ago, and Tomori showed why Frank likes him...Pace the dude is lightning.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  18. Chelsea Pensioner

I think it was me about buying a striker, my thoughts being Giroud is not prolific, Michy and Tammy both look like they need a season as squad players to take that next step and become the level that Mount, RLC etc already are.A top striker would give us the goals we need plus help develop the youngsters quicker. They both look like a striker is in there somewhere, but need time to bring it out.

19. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Reassuring performance by our youngsters against a top Liverpool side who will probably be top of the pack come next May - good to see Kante back in his “Proper” role providing stability and support in the middle of the paddock; all in all a positive response to Man U game as I expected this season will be a learning curve for us.

20. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

You see these guys on a regular basis so your assessments are a lot be. My wish for the season is that Tammy turns out to be a 20+ player who will eventually become an England regular.