1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool bring out the good and bad.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Bad first half, good second. Stupid tackle by Christensen, great free kick, 1-0.
    Very bad luck with VAR, still 1-0. Bad decision by ref against Dave, bad defending by Alonso, 2-0.
    Throw in bad luck losing 2 of the back 4 to injury, bad 1st half.
    Complete change after the break, we were gritty, in charge, and good enough to win had chances been taken. Bad miss by Michy, great goal by Kante 2-1 the final score.
    So, we’re not as far behind Liverpool as the press would have us believe, and with Mount, Tomori, Michy, Zouma all playing well,we are slowly working towards the kind of form we need. No 2nd half fade out, no silly mistakes, but still missed good chances, and we’re initially shakey in defence.
    Work in progress, but progress definitely happening.

The Ginger Marks and Diego like this.
  2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I thought over the 90mins you were significantly the better team. A draw would have been a fair result given the two lapses you mentioned but a win for you would not have been unfair.

Blueman and The Ginger Marks like this.
  3. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Really unlucky but that’s 3 set piece goals in 2 games now, need to work on that a lot more.

I thought once it was 2-0 we’d get rinsed but we were worthy of at least a point. Abraham should’ve buried the one on one and Mount and Batshuayi should do better towards the end too. Considering that wasnt far off a second string back 4 we defended really well from open play and you can definitely see the improvements from the first couple of games, just set pieces left now.

Mention for Tomori though, looks a hell of a player. I watched him at Hull 2 seasons and he looked bang average (that’s being kind) so I’m not sure what Lampard has done to him but he looks the part now.

4. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

You can see the progress week by week and the academy products look very much the part.
    Unfortunately for Abraham and Mount their big game experience isn’t quite high enough yet, which meant missed chances instead of goals. That’ll come though.

If we play like this for the rest of the season we don’t have anything to worry about.

5. The Ginger Marks

I thought Timori was awesome and will be a giant in the future.

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah he stood out.

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Contradicting yourself there, they can't be significantly better and deserve a draw. It was an even game with both teams having their moments and I agree a draw would have been a fair result.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  8. The Ginger Marks

The difference was Liverpool are a well drilled team who have gelled as a unit. Chelsea are on a journey to achieve to same but are some ways off. Happy to see Abrahams give the leagues best two centre backs some problems. I think we are on course for a top six challenge this year and hopefully improve enough to be top four next year.

9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Top 6 is nailed on, top 4 is a maybe.

10. The Ginger Marks

Yeah, I think Franks the right guy, he needs time to impose his style off play on the team. I'm 100% sure he will be there a long time.

11. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Thought you guys played well and deserved a draw. Especially as you had us pinned the last 20.

I like Abraham and was actually a bit relieved he came off. Mount is quality too and of course keep Kante fit and you will be fine.

The Ginger Marks and Blueman like this.
  12. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Yes we played well. But keep on playing well and losing, which is a bad habit.

Hooefully a fit Rudi will stop giving away soft goals

13. The Ginger Marks

Hey come on, both teams give the ball away due to both teams playing high, Liverpool do it marginally better.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Probably worded wrong, I thought they played better football than you for most of the game (not that you were bad) and for that deserved a draw.

luvgonzo likes this.
  15. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

We have to forget the results until at least Christmas. If Frank has us winning by then it will be the shortest rebuilding in history. Liverpool took 2 full seasons, City 3. Without buying one player, we are already showing enough improvement to stretch the runaway leaders.
    Looking at the tables only results in unecessary and pointless pressure.

BobbyD, Naas Blue and Bodinki like this.
  16. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

^^ I agree with this 100%

Our play has improved immeasurably.
    There is some work to do in defence, which hasnt been helped by long absences of Kante and Rudiger.
    Now that people are coming back from injury, hopefully, with a little more coaching, we can shore up the defence and hopefully results will improve.
    The Liverpool game was always going to be uphill, they are 2-3 seasons ahead of us in rebuilding and performed excellently last season, and we were unlucky not to get a result against them TWICE this season, in the league and in the Super cup.

Going forward, we look good. Just need the team to settle, hopefully stay fit, and for the kids to pick up some more experience and we should be golden!

BobbyD and Blueman like this.
  17. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

err Pulisic - yes i know the transfer officially occurred in Jan but he joined you this summer plus Kovacic.

18. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Kovacic was already there.

19. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

i know but officially signed this summer hence the "joke" Chelsea managed to spend more than us despite having a transfer ban" .
    put it this way 1 of Pulisic or Kovacic must count <laugh>

20. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I mean technically its not a transfer ban, an outside body cannot stop a private company from hiring anyone, what it is is that UEFA can tell a club that they cannot register new players to play in their competitions, and since Kovacic and Pulisic were already registered as Chelsea players last season (albeit both on loan, Kovacic TO us from Real and Pulisic FROM us to Dortmund) then that was kind of a loophole.

We could have signed as many players as we wanted in the summer, they just wouldnt have been able to play in any of the competitions run by UEFA or under UEFA affiliated bodies (which unfortunately, is every competition we are in :p)

Solid_Air 2 likes this.