1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Lions

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by General Melchett, Jun 22, 2017.

1. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Lions team: L Williams (Wales); A Watson (England), J Davies (Wales), B Te'o (England), E Daly (England); O Farrell (England), C Murray (Ireland); M Vunipola (England), J George (England), T Furlong (Ireland); AW Jones (Wales), G Kruis (England); P O'Mahony (capt, Ireland), S O'Brien (Ireland), T Faletau (Wales).
    Replacements: K Owens (Wales), J McGrath (Ireland), K Sinckler (England), M Itoje (England), S Warburton (Wales), R Webb (Wales), J Sexton (Ireland), L Halfpenny (Wales).

So the team has been selected and there we some surprises in selection but overall I am pretty happy with the starting side Gatland has selected.
    On the one hand, I would have left AWJ out because Lawes and inparticular Itoje are playing better and AWJ really only offers greater experience. Itoje and Kruis play together for club and country so surely a better combo? As well as both being in my opinion better players in better form. I think even Henderson can feel hard done by as he has also been marginally better in the games so far than AWJ.
    But it was a surprise that he left out Warburton and 1/2p from the starting lineup and North from the entire 23. I expected a greater Welsh bias to his selections but I guess he couldn't justify those guys starting above players in much better form.
    The bench for me is where the game could be won and lost and that is where I think Gatland has ballsed up a little. I can't argue with the front row replacements and Itoje although he should have started, they will all make an impact coming on. But the rest, there is not a great deal of impact. Sexton is a Great 10 and obvious replacement but will not up the tempo, could be interesting though if Farell switchs to 12 and playes with him again.
    Warburton is a good player when on form but isn't on form after injury, CJ Stander is not only in form but offers so much more go forward anyway. I'm not sure about Webb, but with limited options he gets the bench spot, but 1/2p is the strangest selection. Surely you either start him for his kicking and being safe at the back or leave him out completely, he just brings no attacking threat to the party. With all 3 in the back 3 able to cover fullback, surely Joseph, Payne or even North might offer more from the bench?

Bah!

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was pleasantly surprised by the team selection too, AWJ apart. He's 4th if not the 5th best lock on tour in my opinion. Pleased with the back line, I expected North to start regardless of form, so pleased to not see him in the 23.

I only disagree with your assessment of Stander and Webb. Stander has been really struggling in the warm-up games, clearly not over the injury he picked up for Munster towards the end of the season. It's a shame as he would have been a great option on form, but hopefully he can get over the injury for the other tests. Webb has played very well in the warm-up games, and he plays at a much higher tempo than Laidlaw. I'd have gone with Joseph on the bench too, but I suppose Daly can play centre if required.

3. General Melchett

Webb is definitey above Laidlaw, but I'd have had Care over either of them, a real shame about Youngs SIL as whilst Murray would have to be the starter at 9 I think Youngs is well above the others, so much improved under Jones.

Bah!

4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Bl00dy egg chasers !:emoticon-0136-giggl

canary-dave likes this.
  5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Care has been really good for England against Argentina, and completely agree about Youngs. Real shame he's missed out.

6. General Melchett

If Care had gone, it would have been even less sweaties on the trip and they'd a neigh bin happy wid that!

Bah!

7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Sounds like a load of men playing with their odd shaped balls to me! ;)

8. General Melchett

So a draw it was in the end, thanks to a stupid shoulder charge, an erratic kicker and a refereeing oddity, the lions got out of jail. I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the Lions over the course of the tests. In many ways I thought they played better in the 1st test than the 2nd or 3rd. We were truely abysmal for a long spell after SBW was sent off in the 2nd test and headless for most of the 3rd test. The AB were the better team for the main and once again I would question Gatlands coaching and selections. Maybe it is just how good the AB's are that we were made to look so poor at times, but I don't think we got the best out of most of the players.
    As for the Lions as a concept, a number of Journo's are saying this tour may have saved the Lions as a concept, but I'm not so sure. If we can draw with the Kiwi's (Even if second best for the main) then surely the Saffa's and the Aussies, who all the home nations are beating will be too small a challenge? Unless either get their unions sorted sharpish, 3-0 should be rather easy for the Lions.

Bah!