1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Lincoln City v Sunderland - Saturday 5th October - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 3, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Oct 5, 2019.
  1. Home win

11.3%
  2. Away win

69.4%
  3. Draw

6.5%
  4. 1-1

12.9%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Lincoln City v Sunderland – Skybet League One
    LCFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat MK Dons and Lincoln lost at Blackpool.
    Aiden McGeady and Marc McNulty have returned to training ahead of Sunderland’s clash with Lincoln City.
    Sunderland travel to Sincil Bank on Saturday to face a side who, after winning their first four competitive games this season, now have just one in 11.
    Michael Appleton has taken over from Danny Cowley, the inspirational figure behind their climb up the leagues, who has now joined Huddersfield Town.
    Jack Ross:
    “I'm none the wiser (about the take over), I'm not avoiding the question, I have no idea what is going on. It would be weak of me as a manager to use it as an excuse. Anything that involves uncertainty at any club, you would like that stability. The truth is that it doesn't affect me one way or the other."
    “We don’t want a build-up of fixtures, but we’ve had three call-ups, two of which made up part of our back five on Saturday. We’ve made a balanced decision and done what we think is right.”
    “We are in a very similar position to the one we were last season. Our challenge now is to improve on it. It gives us a platform to be successful, but we need to make sure that we don’t fall short.”
    “Aiden and Marc both trained today, and how they react today and tomorrow will determine whether or not they are involved at Lincoln on Saturday.”
    “I'm sure that Michael (Appleton) will look at this as his first proper home game. We have prepared as consistently as we do."
    Michael Appleton:
    “We have a busy month ahead with tough games, so it will be a great opportunity to see how we sit in the division and get a realistic idea.”
    “It will be challenging but exciting, and the players will be chomping at the bit for Saturday’s game, especially at home because the place will be absolutely rocking at the weekend.”
    “Sunderland are on a good run and will be in good form, but they should be ready for a good game because the ground will be bouncing with our fans behind us.”
    “It’s been a while since we’ve gone ahead in a game of football, so I think that could be key. We know that the visitors have drawn a lot of games over recent times, so if we can get that first goal then it would give us a massive confidence boost.”
    Form.GIF
    Prutton predicts:
    Meh
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    BRETT HUXTABLE
    Assistants: Matthew Bristow and Stephen Wade
    Fourth Official: Declan Bourne

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    J McLaughlin, C McLaughlin, De Bock, Willis, Lynch, Power, Dobson, O’Nien, Gooch, McGeady, McNulty
    Team.GIF
    Subs:
    Burge, Flanagan, Ozturk, Hume, McGeouch, Maguire, Wyke
    Injured: Watmore, Embleton

Lincoln City Vickers, Eardley, Bolger, Shackell, Toffolo, Connolly, Morrell, Anderson, Payne, Carvalho Andrade, Walker
    Subs: O'Connor, Chapman, Grant, Smith, Lewis, Melbourne, Akinde
    Injured: Bostwick

Betting Odds:
    Home
    9/5 Away 11/8 Draw 23/10

My two pence:
    We need to push on now and put a bit of a run together. If only we could play like we did in the first half against MK Dons - for the whole game this time. Lincoln started the season well but have been sliding down the table since losing the Cowley brothers, and we should be taking advantage of that.

My guess is a 2-1 away win

Ha’way the Lads

2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Good match set-up, as usual thanks.

I just want 3 points and to continue to keep in touch with automatic promotion.

I reckon we will use the transfer window in January for some ins and outs, whether or not this very ALL GONE QUIET takeover happens.

Yes clean sheets are great but its odds on that the oppo will score 1 goal... so we have to aim to score more than 1. The midfield are popping up with goals atm, but we still have not replaced Maja...we need a good striker. For me Griggs can leave unless something miraculous happens between now and end of December, then we can bring in another player.

Norway and RTB like this.
  3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

2-0 to the lads, a league clean sheet has to happen sometime.

RTB likes this.
  4. Turtle

Turtle Active Member

I’ll more than likely miss the lot- however I’ll go for an uncomfortable 3-1 win for the Lads

RTB likes this.
  5. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Great match thread. Is it always like this?

Im going for a 0-2 to us, early goal, nervous panic until 73 minutes when Wills head home the 2nd

RTB and Smug in Boots like this.
  6. Delirium

Delirium New Member

For some reason I'm feeling quite optimistic about our chances tomorrow. I'd be happy with that team selection. McNulty was a miss last week for me, so hope he is fit.

Inclined to agree with 0-2 #hawaythecleansheet

RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.
  7. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Sunderland's first ever game outside the top division of the English football league was at Lincoln City, to say the 3-1 defeat was a shock puts it mildly, but it would be nice to reverse that score, however I will settle for 0-1 or 1-2 and another three points. So, I assume will JR. Away the lads.

RTB likes this.
  8. blackcatforever

blackcatforever Well-Known Member

Another beautiful match day thread rtb (don't know how the hell you have the time to do them
    fantastic mate).
    Went for 1-4 again ha way me bonny lads get stuck right into them k.t.f

clockstander, RTB and Smug in Boots like this.
  9. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

Lincoln City’s all time record player appearance was a lad who came from and supported Sunderland.

Nordic and RTB like this.
  10. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

0-3

Bart

RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.

11. safcyellowbelly

safcyellowbelly Well-Known Member

Don’t be too optimistic as me and junior yellow belly have tickets...never a good sign...

Fingers crossed for any sort of win

RTB likes this.
  12. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Yes it is. RTB does a cracking job every week mate.

13. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

glad McNulty is back , as usual i go for the win but we are Sunderland so i live in hope

14. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

When I look at that squad it looks like we should be scoring 4 or 5 goals a game.

I can't remember the last time I relaxed at a game and really enjoyed it.

Haway Sunderland, score and then keep attacking ffs, you can do it.

15. Durhamstottie

Durhamstottie New Member

That looks a really good line up. Lets just hope the lads are all fit and up for the fight. 0-2

RTB likes this.
  16. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

We should be far too strong for Lincoln and should win comfortably.

We will concede, because we always do but I fancy 1-3 or 1-4.

Hefty fullback and RTB like this.
  17. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Yeah - this is the usual content, it depends on how much info is readily available.
    If you click on the red "Match Day Thread" box from the main Sunderland page then you can see all the previous match threads. <cheers>

Chunksafc and Smug in Boots like this.
  18. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Who was he. ?

RTB likes this.
  19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think we'll go with the same team as last game, I'm getting the impression that McGeady and McNulty will be on the bench at best. I'd also stick with McGeouch on the basis that he looks like he might be on the verge of playing well if he gets a run in the team, just lacking sharpness.

I thought we played some good football against MK Dons, quite a few nice one twos mainly involving O'Nien. More of that and another solid defensive game and we'll win. Statistically the defence last game did significantly better than any other combo under Ross in terms of key areas like interceptions, tackles and aerial battles so it wasn't just in our imagination.

The Norton Cat, Nordic, RTB and 2 others like this.
  20. BigPete

BigPete Well-Known Member

Well now that is what you call a match thread!

1-3 away win 0-3 hopefully but doubt we will keep a clean sheet.

RTB likes this.