1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Lincoln City v Sunderland – Tuesday 5th October 2021 - KO 19:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 4, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Oct 5, 2021.
  1. Home win (LCFC)

6.7%
  2. Away win

71.1%
  3. Meh who want's to win it again

22.2%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland travel to Lincoln in the Papa John’s Trophy
    InkedLCFCvSAFC.gif
    Last time out Sunderland lost at Portsmouth and Lincoln drew with Plymouth.
    Lynden Gooch has missed the last few games but could make an appearance as he seeks to regain full fitness.
    Callum Doyle and Dennis Cirkin are unlikely to start but could be given some game time. Denver Hume is expected to start after playing for the U23s earlier in the week.
    Lee Johnson has stated that Nathan Broadhead, has a hamstring issue and could be out of action for the next 4 weeks. Niall Huggins has withdrawn from international duty with a back problem and is not involved.
    Jordan Willis and Arbenit Xhemajli remain sidelined.
    City grabbed a precious point with a 90th minute penalty at home to high flying Plymouth. Lincoln lost captain Liam Bridcutt to injury in the first half, while right-back Regan Poole limped off in the second.
    Lee Johnson:
    "First of all, I'd like to say I'm so so sorry for the fans, an unbelievable following and even when we performed really poorly they really stuck with us, that's partly because the boys have earnt that sort of credit with the fans."
    "When they travel as far as they did and we put on a first half show like that - I can only apologise"
    "We didn't play the conditions well, they played the conditions much better than us, we got caught in their traps and individuals were poor on the day, and like I say just not enough quality on the day and quality decision making"
    "The conditions were the same for both teams and they played them better than us."
    "There's no way I can say the conditions cost us the game, because it was that will to win the battle and the reaction to the second ball, and our decision making that cost us, not the conditions."
    "We've been beat today and we've got to take our medicine"

Michael Appleton:
    “Ironically, I didn’t think our performance with the ball was as good as it was on Tuesday night, yet we showed the spirit you need to win a game of football.
    “The message at half-time was to show a bit of personality and character. If things go against you, they go against you, but don’t take a backward step. Keep stepping forward, keep trying to be aggressive in your approach, and we did that.
    “We put a bit of quality into the box at times and their keeper made a couple of good blocks.
    “We just asked the question, which was something that we didn’t do in the first half.
    “We were a bit lame in front of goal in the first half and on Tuesday so it was nice to see us being aggressive in the opposition’s box.”
    “We want a draw as a minimum so we’re not worrying about other results, but we’ll try and win the game.”
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    Scott Oldham
    Assistant Referees: Anthony Da Costa & Marc Wilson
    Fourth Official: Matthew Smith

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Burge; Hume, Alves, Younger, Richardson, Sohna, Neil, Pritchard, Taylor, O’Brien, Harris.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Carney, Almond, Embleton, O'Nien, Newall, Kachosa, Wearne
    Injured: Xhemajli, Willis, Broadhead, McGeady

Lincoln City: Griffiths, Sanders, Montsma, Eyoma, Bramall, Sørensen, Robson, Fiorini, Scully, N'Lundulu, Bishop
    Subs: Maguire, Adelakun, Longdon, Long, Gallagher
    Injured: Bridcutt, Poole, Hopper, Jackson, McGrandles.

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    7/5 Lincoln 13/8 Draw 85/40

My two pence:
    A truly excellent performance followed up with a thoroughly inept one, OK we forgot to bring our armbands and flippers but hopefully it was a one off.
    What are the odds for a Chris Maguire or Ethan Robson goal?
    I expect there to be a lot of changes, with a few of those needing game time to start.
    I’m going for a 2-1 away win.

Live Stream:
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  2. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Pleased this game goes ahead after Saturday’s shambles. Let’s get back to winning ways.

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

It's that competition again that nobody wants to be involved in yet most happy when we won it.
    Straight back at it after Saturday's washout, give a few players a rest and a few game time, never want to lose but not really bothered either way.
    Having said that after a defeat it would e nice to get back to winning ways, so narrow win for the boys.
    Great thread again RTB

4. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Can definitely see a couple of the 23s getting a game, Ellis Taylor has been training with the first team and Will Harris got a hat trick last time out for them so he may get a chance alongside O'Brien. Would like to get back to winning ways quickly but this competition is way down the list this season.

Robertson, Gil T Azell, Nig and 5 others like this.
  5. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

Tuesday should be chance for those who did not take part in Saturday's debacle to show themselves in a good light.

TBH not bothered about the result, although a win is always good for morale and will help get some momentum back, even when no league games are soon.

Nig, Makemstine Roger, RTB and 2 others like this.
  6. LD19SAFC

Lincoln are already through so I’d expect plenty of changes in their side.

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  7. LD19SAFC

I really hope Ellis Taylor starts. He’s been on the bench for 3 of our last 4 games, he’s very highly rated. Perfect game to give him a go.

8. Oliver's Army

9. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

Not arsed

RTB likes this.
  10. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

In
    Burge
    Huggins
    Alves
    Hume
    Younger hopefully
    Neil
    Pritchard

Then hopefully Taylor, Harris and any other promising U23s.

Makemstine Roger, Sunderpitt and RTB like this.

11. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

cheers again RTB...

can i add myself to the 'not fussed' brigade please...while getting the lads a decent run out and game time for some and another win would be most welcome i really cant get into the cups so far, that said, i hope those chosen to play give a good account of themselves and keep giving LJ a headache, be nice to have a wembley day with the fans again though so that would really be my only reason for wanting a cup run (or two).

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  12. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Get back to winning asp for me , not bothered about loosing the odd game or two but the nature of the Portsmouth defeat still rankles, how on earth Dan Neil got booked before Ronan Curtis finally had his name taken I will never know. Amazing that this horrible b******d has never been sent off. He has deserved to walk every time I,ve had the misfortune to watch him. End of rant.

13. Oliver's Army

Canny article on the younger lads who might be involved (if you can get past the dreaded pop-ups on that website)

RTB likes this.
  14. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

No league matches for a short while, and therefore, I hope the weekend bench warmers all start.

Those others who were rested, and/or are due back to full fitness could, and should also feature at some point.

U23's will make also makes appearances too.

Can I be arsed ?......aye!.....it's not as though we have another league match next weekend, right?

Get into the next round please!

ps, another defeat not only brings a fanbase downer, but LJ wants to see some possitive reaction attitudes. LJ will be going for the win imho.

15. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Agree. Losing 2 back to back before the international break isn't a good look

Whittylad, clockstander, RTB and 2 others like this.
  16. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

After a defeat it's how we bounce back next game. It's a chance for the backups to lay down a marker if nothing else. Imo.

Robertson likes this.
  17. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

18. Teessidemackem

Hughins has withdrawn from the Welsh squad with a back injury which is a big shame because this game would have been ideal for him

Robertson and clockstander like this.
  19. Teessidemackem

20. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I think it could be a largely different side than it would have been if we hadn't got humped at the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if Huggins and Cirkin played as full backs, with Hume further upfield.

I don't expect to see Evans, so maybe Winny might move into midfield alongside Neil and Embleton or Pritchard. I would rest Luke as well. Start Wright and Alves, with Younger and Doyle replacing them later.

If Gooch is fit, he is likely to start. If not, give Dajaku more game time. We are short of options up front due to Broadhead's injury and I wouldn't risk Stewart, so I expect AOB to lead the line.

Burge
    Huggins, Alves, Wright, Cirkin
    Winchester, Neil, Embleton
    Gooch, Hume
    O'Brien

Subs: Hoffman, Younger, Doyle, Taylor, Pritchard, Dajaku, Harris

2-1 win for the Lads!