1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Lies, Damned Lies and STATISTICS!!!!

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Oct 1, 2018.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

The following image completely supports the title of this thread.
    Depending on how you view/select the information, you get different results -

stats.jpg

Leeds are slipping away and it will be interesting to revisit the stats at regular intervals. <ok>

Carbrooke Canary likes this.
  2. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Does show a good trend for us... And Baggies are going up.

JM Fan likes this.
  3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

The only one that means anything is the full table. Those form stats give no inference to the localised quality of the opposition. Leeds at least have stayed in the top 10 in all tables, look at Brentford, after what must have been a fast start, they have dropped out of the top ten at 4 or 6. Look at the Wendies, 4th best over the last six, but no where over ten. In one of the most open championships, the table is almost meaningless atm with Villa in 15th 3 pts behind us with the same GD, Jesus they're only 6 behind top spot.
    Maybe from Brum downwards there are reasons for concern and a feeling like you are a little out of contention but a team such as ourselves have shown that age old championship thing, put even a short run of results together and you can transform your position and prospects.
    This all starts to truely take shape at the halfway point, but we can but hope we stay up there in the 4's, 6's and 10's, because then we will surely be there or there abouts for the only one that really matters the 46's!

Bah!

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

The 4 and 6 game tables are a bit odd, as form tables usually use the last 5 games. We've won our last 4, but the 6 table includes 0-3 to Leeds. We've also had two cup wins since Leeds.

I agree with GM that the first really meaningful table is after 22 games when we've played almost all the other teams with an even number of home and away games. Still it's interesting to see trends for different teams.

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments and I'm going to update the actual table after the weekend games and also the stats for comparison. I have a website where you can select the number of games, as then we'll be just over 25% through the league.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Can you do one for the George Graham Arsenal title winning season of 86-87 ?

Most of those wins were 1-0 apparently. <whistle>

JM Fan likes this.
  7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

You were the one who suggested the year, all I remember is Arsenal being called boring, boring Arsenal under George Graham, even by many Arsenal fans! <cheers>

JM Fan likes this.
  8. DUNCAN DONUTS

They even had a song "One nil to the Arsenal " but if you look at the results they thrashed many sides inbetween the 1 -0 wins .

That's something we lack , maybe tomorrow?

You think Farke encourages them to go for the second or would rather hold on for the narrow win ?

JM Fan likes this.
  9. General Melchett

I think Farke wants the team to continue as they were and thinks that might get us a second but should also prevent the OPPO from getting one. If it's worked to get us in the lead and it is how he wants the team to play then in a way I understand why he wouldn't change things. I think what isn't factored into that is the OPPO are forced to up their game and attack, we could definitely be better at taking advantage of that to get a second but stay tight. Maybe we are in the process of getting there? I hope so, we have Hernandez to come back who will increase our threat in all phases of play but especially on the break.

Bah!

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I think he may even appear as a sub against Stoke.

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

One thing that we don't do so much is pass it right up to the opposition box , then pass it all the way back to the keeper so much.

I noticed the Leeds fans commenting on that after the 0-3 .

12. RiverEndRick

We have been good at getting the first goal of late and that allows you to control the match much more. There's no need to take big risks to get another and that helps to keep the shape and force the opposition into low percentage attacks. If we concede, as we did at Reading, we up the attack to regain the lead, as we did there. Also, we've missed Hernandez a lot as he has real pace for counter-attacking after taking the lead, especially away from home.

Bure budgie, canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  13. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Quick visual of Championship team stats to week 12. Confirms our dominance in passing figures but that doesn't translate into "attackiness".

Edit: mis-read that. - It's simply for the Stoke game not an average through to week 12. As you were <laugh>

14. DUNCAN DONUTS

Have we actually won any games that we didn't score first ?

We have scored first and blown leads .

15. General Melchett

We've come from behind to get a draw but an actual win, I can't think of any. We are certainly playing better, but we still don't look like scoring much more than 1 goal a game and that will never equate to promotion. We can but hope that the better play will further embed, chances will more frequently be taken and perhaps the returning players will also add threat and goal scoring impetus.

Bah!

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I agree General that the lack of goals is beginning to concern me as well. When Puuki was in a reasonable of form, I felt others may start to chip in (NOT the ‘Chip Inn!!’), but that has so far failed to materialise – let’s hope it’s something DF and his staff can work on before we travel to the City Ground.

I’ll update the stats image this evening.

17. General Melchett

Oops, in reply to my own negativity, Actually two seasons ago, Huddesfield did just that scoring only 56 goals with a negative GD of -2. (See "Predict our ‘GF’ total this season" thread) So very occasionally it might, but it seems unlikely and against the norm. Automatic promotion would be a different kettle of fish.

Bah!

18. RiverEndRick

We've got ourselves into contention now but we do need to score more goals if we are to be serious contenders. I think we can. As I said on the match thread:

Hernandez should be fully fit after the break, probably in place of Buendia and I would bring Rhodes back as well. Pukki is able to play as both an AM and a second striker and the two together would make us more potent and able to turn possession into goals. McLean is well suited to our style of play but the competition for midfield places is intense and it shows the strength in depth we now have. DF needs to make the most of that.

In past years we've fallen away because of injuries but the unbeaten run with four key players missing shows we can handle that now. Last year we fell away because we weren't converting the chances we made and we need to upgrade the attack to do so. My thoughts anyway.

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

Good teams can go a goal or 2 down and still come back to win , we levelled at Brum and drew levelled with Baggies and lost and levelled with Sheffield United and lost.

Not sure you can coach that sort of thing but the timing and personnel of subs can certainly make a difference.
    After that terrific run let's just hope we pick up some points between now and boxing day.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Updated - and interesting to see which teams have appeared and which have disappeared

stats 0810.jpg

Edit - The next update will be Nov 5th.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018