1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lewis McGugan?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Nick, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Member

Anyone heard anything else on these rumours? Seems to have just started pretty recently since Routledge was linked a move to Forest.

Didn't watch many Championship games at all last season, but he would seem like a possibility considering Pardew has said that they were going to try young players from the lower divisions too. Seemed to have a really good season last year with 13 goals, making him Forest's top scorer and 15 assists on top of that. Seems to have a knack at scoring long ranged screamers.

Not sure whether it's just pure speculation on behalf of their fans and ours after the Routledge link though. I doubt we'd get him with the rumoured £1.5mil. Im also not sure if we should be in from him. Seems to be another attacking central midfielder from what I gather and we're not exactly short on those. Plenty of young ones currently in our starting 11 and then Vuckic/Gosling among others waiting after that…

He seems to have a good future ahead of him either way. Whether or not its at Championship level or Prem, remains to be seen...

2. Jock McMagpie

Jock McMagpie Active Member

He's got a mean shot on him and is a lot better that Perch. Just don't see how he is any better than Guthrie though, could be a decent squad replacement for Smudger though!!!

3. Gutierrez's Right Boot

Gutierrez's Right Boot Well-Known Member

Can we include Perch in the deal aswell

4. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Buy one, get one free.

5. The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco

The acronym 'BOGOF' has never been so apt <ok>

6. Tim Kruls Zulu Shield (:)

he could be better than guthrie though, guthrie would be a main stay at say wigan or swansea but he's just not good enough for a team chasing europe, he's not a bad player, he just manages, and we need players that are going to have an impact, not just manage

7. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Read this on a Toon Blog somewhere, his stats are quite good but can he cut it in the Prem? Not sure, maybe worth a punt at £1.5M. Not sure Pardew has much faith in our younger players if he'd rather bring these sort of guys in rather than trusting our youth.

8. EastMidlandMagpie

Quality player, well when i was 16 and played against him on the park he was anyway ;)
    (name dropping)

Seen quite a bit of him and I for one would be very very happy if we got him, young English and talented on the ball and as already said can score a screamer or two too!

Just can't see Forest selling him as he is a key player for them, and they have no need to sell

9. Snorlax

Snorlax Active Member

watched a Reading vs Forest game a year ago - he was the best player by a clear mile.

Also Rob Earnshaw was being a **** in that game

10. Nick

Nick Member

Not sure exactly where it started from, but the whole £1.5million for him seems completely seperate from the £2million 'deal' supposedely accepted for Routledge.

I dont see much in it myself, definately not for that price. Might be a decent prospect for the future, but like i said, we've got plenty in that position unless they're planning on offloading Guthrie and/or Smith. There was talk about Guthrie off to Nottingham Forest not so long ago wasn't there?

11. Sanchin0

Sanchin0 Active Member

Straight swap then. Guthrie + Routledge for Lewis McGugan. Good lil' CM who can play out wide(better than Guthrie mind in RM), got good pace, good on the ball & young. <ok>

12. Nick

Nick Member

I'd be happy with that, no doubt it would cut the wage bill a tiny amount too.

But there'll be plenty of people no doubt a) Saying he'll be another Perch and bitch about 'fat ash' having no ambition, signing championship players and more importantly b) We already had a small squad last year. Is trading 2 for 1 from that squad going to help?

We've got plenty of wingers now, not many at all are naturally right footed but plenty can play in that position. So i'd say Routledge is bottom of a long list and Pardew quite clearly doesnt rate him. As for Guthrie, he's a decent squad player, but thats as far as he goes. He play well once every 20 games or something. This lad would be an immediate improvement and cant see him minding about being a squad player here (at least for now) since he seems to come of the bench for Forest mostly.

13. nufc_mad

nufc_mad Member

for that price i would snap him up without a doubt whenever i have seen forest play he has always been the player that stood out. i think if routledge is going to forest we should do a trade tho

14. Snorlax

Snorlax Active Member

Perch + Routledge for McGugan would be good.

Also I reckon we need cover for DR and DC if that happens

15. Nick

Nick Member

I still can't see us buying any cover for DR/DC if we sold perch, with Raylor and Tav being able to play RB and Kadar and Wiliamson filling in centre. Seems were only going for cover on the left.

16. Tiggyrimana

Tiggyrimana Active Member

A Colo group would be able to take over Not606!!
    Be afraid Ateam be very afraid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.