1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Is that all you can say.? :rolleyes:

2. woolstonian

woolstonian Well-Known Member

Post-match blues, already on the strong stuff, yes it is!

3. TheSecondStain

Just to show you that Tesla don't have it all their own way. This is a Hydrogen-Electric truck with a 1200 mile range from the NIKOLA [there's the famous man's name used up] Motor Company. It's not quite as ground breaking as the Tesla, but consider it an interim vehicle:

I do think that hydrogen-electric vehicles have a huge future provided that hydrogen can be produced cheap enough, clean enough, and in enough quantity, and the re-fuel infrastructure is put in place. They are zero operating emission trucks just like any Tesla vehicle, after all.

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Hydrogen can easily be produced from water by electrolysis, using electricity from the alternative energy source of your choice, so no supply problem there. You even get the bonus of producing oxygen at the same time!

Edit: Hydrogen has several advantages over battery technology, in that batteries require lithium, which needs to be mined and of which the resources are finite. Batteries also themselves have a limited number of recharges before they degrade. Hydrogen, on the other hand, has to all intents and purposes an infinite supply, as the only combustion product is water, from which you can make more hydrogen.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  5. TheSecondStain

Yes, but it takes energy to produce it. And unfortunately they often indirectly use coal to act as the heat supply to split the hydrogen from the oxygen. Of course, they could use wind and solar power. But then they could use the wind and solar power to just straight supply the electricity for a Tesla vehicle.
    However, there is a new volume method of splitting hydrogen and oxygen which uses a chemical catalyst and filter separation process not involving conventionally supplied heat energy. It was announced about two years ago and I'm blowed if I can find anything on it because I can't remember a decent enough key word to use to make a search.

6. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

You don’t need to make hydrogen by heating water. As I said above, electrolysis using renewal electricity is the way to do it.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  7. TheSecondStain

How much electricity as a percentage.? It's the costs, infrastructure [or lack of it] and environmental impact, where ultimately these things go or stop.
    By the way, I searched for that process again and found it first go: http://thefutureofthings.com/5165-radically-new-method-for-producing-hydrogen-from-water/

8. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

I don’t know the relative energy inputs between producing hydrogen by whatever means, and producing and charging batteries, but over the life of a battery I would guess hydrogen wins. Only my intuition mind!

9. TheSecondStain

Yes, over the life of a conventional battery, but Elon Musk makes a bold claim about his batteries. He says they will last the entire life of any vehicle they are fitted to and beyond. Thing is, his companies have done so many things now that people said were impossible, or verging on the impossible, that I sort of give him the benefit of the doubt these days.

10. TheSecondStain

You know I went away; completely forgot about the chat we had above and then, right in the middle of an ASMR video, it suddenly dawned on me that you weren't talking about battery life per se, but how much energy the battery would release against the input of energy and how efficient that would be against manufactured and transported-to-pump hydrogen. We know that batteries don't give up all that they store and it takes more than they store to charge them, even if they are Musk's lithium batteries. And of course there is the transportation of electricity over long distances through wires, which can end up hugely inefficient [36%]. So hydrogen may well be more efficient overall. I'd like to see some numbers on that.

Mind you, in the video, Musk talks about guaranteeing the very low price of his supplied electricity. I've got to admit, when he covers bases, he really covers them.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.

11. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Seems like David Cassidy is on his way out . Kidney failure and waiting for a liver transplant .

12. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Here’s a very well-written article about hydrogen production, transport, and storage. Written in 2006, so it’s no doubt a bit out of date, but the principles are sound:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a926/4199381/

TheSecondStain likes this.
  13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I see the search for the most niche topic to discuss is still underway. No doubt extremely important.....but come on, guys....little pandas learning to walk.<laugh>

Libby, ChilcoSaint and fatletiss like this.
  14. TheSecondStain

I'm afraid I'm with Chris Packham on the subject of Pandas.

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

They are certainly creatures that have attempted to go extinct by every means in their power. Their adorableness in appearance is a powerful symbol for conservation...and useful if the less photogenic creatures can hang onto their coat tails.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  16. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Musk is one hell of a salesman, but until he can even begin to put electric cars on the market in any viable numbers, I'll put my trust elsewhere. It's easy to say things, and unsubstantiated claims about range and charging ease certainly make good soundbites but I have yet to see any evidence that Tesla can be anything other than a low volume, niche manufacturer with a great PR department.
    At the rate Tesla are hemorrhaging money, I can't see them even being around to implement any of these world saving ideas.

17. TheSecondStain

Do you know there are more Tesla cars in Oslo than any other manufacturer.? You need to start doing some investigating. He's no salesman. He's got as vision to make things better.

18. TheSecondStain

And why I'm here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b03pn297

Italy Unpacked. If you've never seen or heard of the 3 series [plus Sicily Unpacked], then you've missed out. Truly. It is a wonderful mixture of of Art, Architecture, Culture, History, Food and Lifestyle, presented by Art Historian Andrew Graham-Dixon and Chef Giorgio Locatelli. They are great mates and it shows in the on-screen chemistry. Sadly, they haven't made any more since around 2015, but as far as they are concerned there is no other country to go to. They've explored their favourite place on Earth. I wish they'd just find some more places to go to in Italy. I'm sure there are plenty more hidden treasures.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  19. TheSecondStain

That's the thing though. They take up an enormous amount of the budget while other species die out.

20. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Big deal. They are actively trying to ban cars completely in Oslo so there are hardly any there anyway. Electric makes sense in Oslo to some extent as they get the majority of their electricity from hydro, and there is plenty of spare capacity, but don't try to use Oslo's take up of Tesla vehicles as any kind of measure of success for the wider world.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.