1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Hi. Just seen this. I've also done a fair bit of fell walking in the past, which is sort of ramblers stuff, but more extreme. My advice is to make sure your socks and boots are your best friends. They may be really comfortable at the beginning of the day, but are they comfy at the end.? Don't have sloppy boots if you're in up/down terrain [cliff paths], as you can easily bunch your toes and that gets super boring. Make sure toenails are cut properly [an easy overlook]. If your feet feel uncomfortable STOP. Don't walk yourself into blisters or sores. Once your feet become uncomfortable your body tries to compensate for it. Then you'll start having leg muscle problems and maybe even sore ankles, knees and hips. You're doing it for fun, not charity. If you look after your feet the rest will be so much easier.
    Make sure your pack is light and try to plan your route, leaving you as many options without making the whole thing a pain of organisation. There's always that element of the undiscovered around the corner, so don't lose that. You'd better decide quickly whether you're staying in places or camping. A mini tent might seem light but it'll weigh a lot more at the end of the day. Don't take too much clothing. Underpants and socks are what you really need, apart from the obvious shower proof stuff.
    I read you have 3 weeks. Ok, if it were me doing the walk I'd back up at least as far as Padstow. The north coast of Cornwall is astonishingly beautiful and I would hate to be walking away from it without experiencing it. Oh, and great pubs.! I've said it before, but the average Rambler is just a person walking to the pub. Only the Rambler will take a long route to it so that the meal and beers just fill up what has been walked out.
    When going into eating pubs and cafes. Take a few extra sachets of condiment and things like napkins for later. You'll be glad you did. And one last thing, and sorry to end on a crude note but, toilet roll. Do take one. You may have a moment where you say to yourself, thank goodness I did that at least. Have fun and a small flask of whisky [or your tipple] to keep spirits up. Drink plenty of water though.

If I can think of anything else I'll come back, but here's some more stuff. Take from it what you want: http://www.gtleisure.co.uk/walks/advice.htm

RSS likes this.
  2. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I've walked bits of it, but not done more than a day at a time. I read Mark Wallington's book 500 Mile Walkies which is pretty funny, certainly covers the pitfalls of doing what is a very challenging walk.(with all the ups and downs on the North coast which is the only parts I have walked, it's like climbing a bloody mountain)
    I'll walk the whole thing one day, but I'd like to take 6 weeks over it so that it isn't a chore and I've got time to enjoy it.

RSS likes this.
  3. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Hi TSS, thanks a bunch for the advice! Much appreciated. One thing that I'm pretty confident in is my boots and socks having bought and used them for Kilimanjaro. Toenails is a great point and something I'd have overlooked! I'm going down the small tent route, which I know is going to be tougher in comfort and having to snail it, but it's as light as it can be, and I have quite a strong back and shoulders, and a good backpack with all the necessary straps so I'm hoping I'll be ok. Only one way to find out!
    I have had the crude toilet discussion with my colleagues. I guess I'll cross that...errr...bridge when I come to it, but I'll certainly be bringing toilet roll! With more time I'd certainly like to cover more of it, but there's no reason I can't go back and do more of the North coast some other time. I'm planning on planning roughly where I'll be sleeping each night and roughly the route I'll be going but it'll mostly be down to where the path leads me when I'm there :)

I like an adventure and a challenge. I was looking into doing the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Ocean rowing race...but unfortunately that's waaaay out of my price range, so this will keep my appetite for adventure at bay for a while on the cheap, whilst getting to explore our very own rugged coastline.

4. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I'm reluctant to tell someone who has conquered Kilimanjaro (respect) what to do, but I would just add to the sound advise already given by suggesting you pack some Compede plasters. If you are unlucky enough to get blisters they will help you alleviate the discomfort.

RSS likes this.
  5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Not sure if necessary if you are wearing proper boots and socks, but I found that Compeed antiblister wax stick put on each day was marvellous at avoiding blisters when wearing totally unsuitable shoes.:emoticon-0111-blush

RSS likes this.
  6. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Went to Budapest last weekend, beautiful city and surprisingly hot weather. Click on images to enlarge.

DSC09146.JPG One for all you Corbyn fans out there

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC09144.JPG

DSC09150.JPG The hire car

DSC09164.JPG

DSC09168.JPG

DSC09181.JPG St Stephen's Basilica

DSC09188.JPG

DSC09195.JPG

DSC09180.JPG The Budapest Tourist Board is still a bit rough round the edges

7. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Was in Fort William the week before last with my younger daughter. She got to the top of Ben Nevis, I gave up about 2/3 up. She was far too pleased that her old dad is now less fit than her! Guest house was full of Australians and Americans rediscovering their roots and having just completed the West Highland Way. (Glasgow to Fort William) Fair play to them, trudging knee deep across Rannoch Moor in the wind and rain gave them a real taste of Scotland!

TheSecondStain and RSS like this.
  8. TheSecondStain

Just stumbled across an advert for a beer which initially made me shudder slightly. It was Watney's Pale Ale. Happily the slogan said, "Watney's Pale Ale - Tastes nothing like it used to..." Which can only be for the good. I wonder if they'll ever resurrect Red Barrel.?

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Oh no, I just had to pour myself a whisky to take the remembered taste of Red Barrel away! Vile stuff. Mind you, Watney’s did introduce the Party 7, which other breweries eventually copied, so that at least was a service to humanity.

10. TheSecondStain

Don't worry Chilco. Apparently this one tastes quite good. :)

11. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Bet it doesn’t taste as good as the bottle of Proper Job accompanying my whisky! :)

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I like proper job!

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  13. TheSecondStain

Probably not.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Any advice on private landlords - so not through an agency - in Southampton?

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

16. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Just want to share some good news.

Some of you may recall that, a couple of months, or so, ago my wife was told that her cancer had returned, and also spread to some lymph glands.

After just three chemotherapy treatments, she has had an MRI scan which has shown that the treatment is working fantastically well. In fact the consultant said “Had I looked at that scan, without knowing Mrs Badgers medical history, I would have said that the lymph glands had never been infected with cancer cells.”
    Great, great news which might give hope to others, going through health issues, that with the right treatment almost anything is possible.

She’s not out of the woods, because her cancer is terminal, and the consultant has said that there will still be cancer cells in the lymph glands, but it looks like a further extension of life is likely. <diva><cheers>
    There are still three more chemotherapy treatments to go, with all the usual side effects, but they are (even my wife will agree) worth it, for the benefits.
    Although she did get annoyed today (as did I) when we returned home from the hospital, her having had a blood test ahead of tomorrow’s blood transfusion, to receive a phone call asking us to return for a second blood test, because they had messed up the first one. :headbang:

Happy days.

17. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Brilliant news Badger, really pleased for your wife and yourself. <ok>

18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Good news for you and Mrs Badger. Chemo isn't fun (a close family member has gone through it), but as you say it is totally worth it. So glad to hear that she is reacting well.

The human will sometimes outwits the medical will.

Take care ;)

19. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Excellent news :emoticon-0165-muscl

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

St. badger, that is fabulous news. I am really pleased for you and your wife. Treasure everything with her.

She sounds like a really strong lady.