1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Toby . He had a sore eye , not really an ulcer .

Took him to the vet 3 weeks ago & they gave me drops .
    Took him in last Friday & that one was almost healed , but had developed a slight ulcer 4 mm from it .

yesterday evening he was not quite himself , so I left him alone ( No Drops ) . This morning he ran away from me , I went out did some shopping , came home and he was huddled on the bed , left eye dripping fluid .

Vets got me an emergency appointment .

The new ulcer has not changed , but the scab that had developed on the first wound , he's only gone and taken it off ( Or walked into something that has taken it off ) . Now it's deeper & worse than ever :-(

2. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Aaargh nasty. :(

More drops I assume. Would he look good with a patch?
    please log in to view this image

3. Number 1 Jasper

Trouble is , he is starting to run away from every time he sees me . Breaks my heart , but I have to try and do it .

I honestly think ultimately , he will lose the eye ( Or we will lose him ).

4. Whiteley Saint

I hope not, but he will be ok if he does. I help out in a cattery and we have some lovely one eyed cats that visit and get on just fine. Try not to chase him as this, from my experience, just makes things worse. Maybe sneak up on him when your wife is fussing him. Good luck.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. Number 1 Jasper

I / We have been through the Stealth mode , he is even VERY wary of Mrs Jasper now .

To be fair to the vets , even they have said do not chase him , that can lead to a total loss of trust .

That is why I will NEVER wake him up to give him an eye drop , or when he is outside the house . That will surely drive him away .

The other issue is he is meant to have 2 drops each morning and evening ( different meds ) 10 minutes apart .

6. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, I hope he gets better soon and the wound recovers. I love all cats, including yours (despite never having seen him), so give him a hug from me.

As for him running away, I'm sure he'll get over that. My cat runs away from my step-dad because he expresses her (she lost control of her bladder after getting hit by a car), but she doesn't seem to take it personally, and it's only when she knows she's about to be expressed.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  7. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Well, my gf is having a dinner out and going to the cinema with her sister, while I'm at home surfing the interwebs. So this is what being in a relationship is like? FML.

8. Whiteley Saint

I'm so old I had to look up FML. :oops:

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  9. Number 1 Jasper

Anyone heard from St Helen ?

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Watch the program. You may be surprised. He's learned to manage it well.

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

What's the programme.?

12. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me. Was on BBC2 last night 9pm.
    Edit: was meant as a reply to TheSecondStain, messed that up a bit.

fatletiss likes this.
  13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Cheers. I'll give that a watch before it disappears from the iPlayer.

14. fatletiss

Let us know what you think.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I'm planning to use up my annual leave at work by going on a long walk along the SW coastal path. Has anyone ever done this before i.e multi-day walk with camping? I'm jumping in the deep end, as I tend to do, and planning to walk from St.Ives back to Southampton along the coastal path. I know I'm doing it at the wrong time of year, but it is what it is. I accept that I'm going to be soggy a lot, that daylight hours are against me and it's a bit cooler.
    Just looking for advice/tips, things to take that aren't obvious but you realise you need once you're out there. That kinda thing. I have done some reading on t'internet but I know TSS is a rambler and thought perhaps some of you may have done similar and have some handy advice for me.
    Cheers.

16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Sounds fabulous RSS! I know the first part of your route pretty well, but I would urge you to reverse slightly and walk from Lelant Saltings into St. Ives as a warm up. If you’re staying in St. Ives you can get the train to Lelant Saltings, it’s the Park and Ride. It’s well worth the slight detour I promise you! There are plenty of campsites along the path in West Penwith, although of course you are a bit out of season now! There are some great pubs too, I can recommend the Tinners Arms in Zennor (there’s a walkers’ hostel right next door in the old chapel) and the Gurnard’s Head just a bit further along in Treen. The Old Success in Sennen Cove is also worth a visit.

The main advice though, is don’t try and do too much in one day, especially at first. That first stretch from St. Ives to Zennor is only 6 miles, but there is an awful lot of up and down stuff, some of it quite tricky, as is the case all the way round the toe-end. It also gets very, very windy on those cliff tops, and if the weather sets in, sometimes you literally can’t see where you’re going, so take very great care. If you can find someone else to walk with it would be a good idea!

Having said that, if the weather’s fine and clear, the views are breathtaking. If you find any WiFi along the way, please keep us updated. Good luck!

RSS likes this.
  17. fatletiss

My tip: whisky :)

RSS and ChilcoSaint like this.
  18. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Excellent! Thanks a bunch Chilco. Great to get some local insider knowledge. I will certainly have a look into Lelant Saltings as a starting point! In all honesty I've done very little actual planning yet and the only reason I chose St.Ives is because I spoke to someone who seemed to think that would be easy to get to by train, but looking on the map briefly now (as I am in the office :angel:) it looks as though Lelant Saltings is on the way, so there's no reason I can't start from there. Will also try and make it to at least one pub that you've mentioned although I will be slumming it more often than not with camping food!
    I think my biggest challenge, as it was with Kilimanjaro, will be to go 'pole pole' as they say in Swahili. I'm relatively fit, do a lot of walking with my job (in waders and a fairly heavy backpack) so think I'll end up trying to hit some big miles in the first week which could well backfire, but daylight hour will limit me somewhat.
    I also need to be careful not to take too much since I will have to carry it, tricky when you're going to be away for a while! That said I'm sure I can allow room for a hip flask of whisky <laugh>

Will try and check in once in a while, but I can't make any promises as part of the enjoyment will be from getting away from the internet, phones and all that and keeping it simple with me, my legs and the open road.

It's Only A Game and ChilcoSaint like this.
  19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Sounds like you’ll be well prepared, you might be glad of those waders! The mainline train to Penzance stops at St. Erth, so change there for Lelant Saltings and all stops into St. Ives. If you walk across the car park, head towards the football pitch and you’ll see a cut through to a quiet road that follows the railway line. Stay on that for about a mile until you get to St. Euny’s church. The footpath goes to the left of the church and down a cutting across a golf course. Just before the path goes under the railway, turn left and after a bit you’ll cross a footbridge back over the railway. Be prepared for some fabulous views over Porth Kidney sands!

RSS likes this.
  20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Thanks Chilco, much appreciated. I will make note of what you have said and take it with me so that I don't start off by getting lost and walking the wrong way! I've got three weeks and it doesn't really matter if I don't make it all the way back to Southampton as I can just get the train the rest of the way if I need to. I do hope to make it to at least Weymouth though. This weekends for planning, then next week is my last at work and then next weekend my little adventure begins. I can't wait!

ChilcoSaint likes this.