1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Legend Safc players

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Chunksafc, Oct 25, 2024 at 7:26 PM.

1. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Well-Known Member

The Dave Watson thread has got me curious as we have some older posters on here and I love hearing about players they saw.

My dad is 80 this year and tells me stories of Clough, Hurley etc that make me so jealous that he saw some legends play.

So for the older posters what did we miss?

2. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Joe Bolton was always my favourite
    - thou shall not pass

Young Ted, Chunksafc, DH4 and 2 others like this.
  3. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

They are never legends when they’re playing. They only become that afterwards. I look back on my football prowess and say that the older I get the better I was.
    I went to Roker Park watching Gary Rowell, Pop Robson, Jimmy Montgomery, Vic Halom, Nick Pickering. Another generation will have watched Kevin Phillips, Niall Quinn, Nicky Summerbee at the SOL. At the time they were all just players living our dream and subject to our scorn as much as our adulation. They became ’legends’ in our memories when the generation of players that we watched probably aren’t fit to lace their boots.

4. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Brought up on the 63-64 promotion team so Hurley stands out then the likes of Colin Todd,Colin Suggett, Gary Rowell I could go on.
    Phillips and Quinn from another era we’ve had so many, the other side of the coin is we’ve had such a lot of dross it’s hard to imagine how one club can sign such good and bloody awful players but we did.
    Enjoying this moment and hope these young lads become the next lot of legends, it’s what keeps you going season after season.

5. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Legends are those who stood out, and for the older lads on here we'll remember not just marvellous players like Rowell, Quinn & SKP, but those who did something special/different like Gary Bennett, who wasn't brilliant but what he did with Arsehole Speedie stands out and makes him one (I don't even like him).

Monty was a legend 'cos of . . . . well we all know.

Dave Watson was one for me 'cos when we sing Charlie Hurley's song, he's the name that I use . . . . he's the best that I remember (even though I've seen Charlie play, apparently).

Denis Tueart was my first 'hero' and a legend 'cos he was brilliant, though he hasn't had any time for S.A.F.C. for decades (I know his brother, who told me that his team's 'City, who he won a cup with . . . . beating, and scoring against, the Maggots at Wembley). That goal undoubtedly makes him a legend in the north east.

Richie Pitt became a legend after THAT tackle at Wembley, though he wasn't a great player.

Gordon Armstrong was my favourite player, and he became a legend after scoring THAT goal against Chelsea.

Bally is a legend 'cos of being Bally, and Catts is a legend 'cos of being Catts . . . . we all know what they were like.

Lastly, and I've almost certainly missed some obvious ones (I haven't spent long on this essay), but Onions is almost a legend whilst still playing, but he's definitely 'almost' 'cos of that.

Thanks for tuning in, folks :emoticon-0100-smile

6. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Well-Known Member

A couple that for me I loved watching front he Reid era that probably not many would pick but Makin, Butler and Craddock where players I loved.

Guess it's the defender in me, that just enjoyed them. Probably why I love watching Hume play now.

My first legend was Chris Turner. Through my 5 year old eyes he was the best keeper ever.

I also thought Dave Swindlehurst was actually called Bloody Swindlehurst as its all I could ever hear adults saying at the games when he played :emoticon-0102-bigsm

DH4, C Montgomery Burns and Young Ted like this.
  7. alcoauth

alcoauth Well-Known Member

Micky Gray. 14 years and more than 400 appearances, not forgetting his England caps. A real club legend but perhaps a bit soon to be fully appreciated.

8. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

Good job you aren't old enough to remember Roland ****ing Gregoire <laugh>

Chunksafc and Lucky19672 like this.
  9. Lucky19672

Lucky19672 Well-Known Member

Or Gareth ****ing Hall

DH4 likes this.
  10. cracket

cracket Well-Known Member

Way before my time but Len Shackleton was always mentioned by the older lads . They'd laugh as they told the tales and you'll see why from the video . Tell you what watching the clip there's a young'un in our team today that reminds me of him ?

I can remember the 70's as I got older but missed the 73 final. No ticket , never mind , I think we won a trophy. Some legends in that team no doubt. Before that there was Len Ashurst with hundreds of appearances who was not much talked about. The likes of Baxter and Crossan were big names maybe not legends. Today no doubt Quinn , Ball and Phillips will go down well but there's another lad in todays team who's held in high regard , Mr O'Nien . He'll make legend status at this rate.

Robertson likes this.