1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds United @Deepdale 7 May 2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, May 3, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Marching all together to the final countdown, the last home game, the last match of the season against those cheeky scamps from West Yorkshire, Leeds United, who lie three points behind us in the league table. Simple scenario if Leeds win by five clear goals they will finish above us.
    Given the major importance of the game it is a surprise that Sky are not showing it after having had the Yorkshire side on countless time this season. But less of my cynicism this is a good game to end with suspoect there will be a large attendance from the visitors who no doubt will be protesting against their Italian owner. Question is will the Fat Controller stillbe in charge of the team, an article in the Daily Telegraph about 10 days ago indicated that he dos not like English managers he would rather have a coach as English managers question the owners to much, which does not sound good for Evans.
    The Big man is a marmite character but think he deserves a bit of credit, he has done pretty well this season in difficult circumstances.
    United had been in decent form although losing their last home game to already elegated Charlton won't have gone down well.
    Our record against Yorkshire sides this season is interesting, Away P 5 W 0 D1 L4 at home we have a 100% record Played 4 Won 4, it would be nice to keep that record up on Saturday.
    Should be a decent game but a lot could depend on whether Evans is still in a job at the time of the match if he is to be potted suspect the Yorkshire lads will probably be wearing beach wear for the game.
    Squad wise Grayson will probably stick to the trusted team, although both Lindegaard and Clarke may be back, otherwise Beckford will be facing his old club can he put one over on them hope so. Will be there although 12.30 kick offs are an utter pain.

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

NE lost to United at Elland Road due to some dodgy decisions by the ref.

Just wasted an hour listening to Man City whimper out of Champions League! Apparently, the heart went out of the team when Kompany limped off! The club should refund the supporters' tickets and travel costs if that was the case! Well if Bayern can lose at home, don't be surprised at City flopping. Pellegrini should have played Sterling and the other English midfielder (forgot his name) to give the team some welly.

3. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Morning lads. Travelling to the game on Sat. Staying over at the Holiday Inn. Just a friendly question. Can you locals recommend any pre-match pubs, away friendly would be nice, if possible. <cheers>

4. themaclad

Sumners the other side of the Sainsbury's near the ground however suspect plod may have a say whether pubs are open, that is the only one near the ground, plenty in the City centre but again depends on the police whether they are open or not

Irishshako likes this.
  5. themaclad

Black Bull on the ring road on the way to the station does real ale

6. Irishshako

Cheers themaclad..<ok>

7. Irishshako

How did you know I was an ale man...<cheers>

8. themaclad

Educated guess:1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down:

Irishshako likes this.
  9. Irishshako

<laugh>

10. barnetpne

There are one or two 'community' pubs here in Norfolk. Must try one one day.

11. themaclad

In the end it was a routine end of season game with sporadic outbursts of football at a warm Deepdale, although there was nothing on the game the visiting support of over 5000 generated a great atmosphere, they brought the usual end of season gear with them, beach balls, sombrero's and the oblligatory blow up dolls.
    Leeds started the better with Wood and Mowatt having efforts at somewhere near the goal, whilst Garner should really have done better with to efforts, getting towards half time Wood was unlucky when he tried to chip Chris(I can't see) Kirkland and Cook had a decent effort which went wide he had, and that was the first half apart from United fans saluting Simon Grayson(sorry he is not going back)
    The second half was a bit more up tempo North End really should have led following a dreeadfull Leeds free kick, but Reach, Beckford and Garner considered to cock things up between them, whilst Wood brought out the best in Kirkland with a great save by his left hand post. Kirkland then had a nightmare when he gifted Leeds a penalty by tackling a Leeds player close to the by line, no complaints as Mr Malone(who given two spot kicks against us at Cardiff) pointed to the spot, Antenucci and Wood argued about who would take it Bamba decided Wood should take it, he didn't miss.
    The home side thought they had levelled when Reach fired home at the back post but was given offside, they did level in the last minute however when Hugill chased a lost cause forced Wootton into a mistake and advanced on goal, he squared the ball to Doyle whose shot was saved but Hugill buried the rebound. Diagourage almost won it at the death for Leeds but the scoreline probably reflected the game.
    On highlight of the second half was the Leeds fan body surfing from the top of the Kop to the bottom and back again, classic stuff it is on you tube. And that was that for this season.
    Finally credit again to the away support tremendous today and respectful during the minutes applause for the passing of our former chairman

Preston North End 1 Leeds United 1 Att 18473

Preston manager Simon Grayson: "I think we deserved at least a point. We played well, the performance epitomised what we are this season, Leeds didn't really look like scoring.

"We showed that character again to get the late goal. A lot of teams would have accepted that they're going to lose the last game of the season 1-0 but not my players.

"We know our strengths and we know our weaknesses but to finish where we have, above lots of more experienced teams, speaks volumes for the players."

Leeds head coach Steve Evans: "I had tears in my eyes because the supporters were fantastic. I thought I knew my future but I don't. It's just the feeling you get.

"I hope it's not the end, I really hope it's not. But if the decision is made for the benefit of the football club then I will endorse it.

"If they've got (Jose) Mourinho parked in the corner then I'd be the first to applaud him onto the pitch.

"I'm going to go home and wait to see what the president decides. I would've loved to have been in on Monday planning pre-season and maybe that will still happen, but who knows?"

Irishshako likes this.
  12. Irishshako

Great write up mate. This was my first time in Preston and I'll be back again next season. Everyone was friendly from the lads searching us at the turnstiles to the coppers and bar staff. Walked back to the hoiliday inn with no hassle and drank in Yates, even the bouncer was friendly. All in all a great day out. The only moan I have was my baldy bonce got burnt to ****. All the best from a Dublin White..<cheers>

themaclad likes this.
  13. themaclad

Cheers fella it was a great atmosphere think everyone was in holiday mode, see you next season, all the best

Irishshako likes this.
  14. Irishshako

Cheers themaclad...appreciated..<ok>

themaclad likes this.
  15. barnetpne

Good luck next season...but obviously not against us! Hope Evans is aloowed to continue hiis progress at United.

Irishshako likes this.
  16. Irishshako

Cheers mate...<ok>

: leeds united