1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds United 2 v 1 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Leeds United v Swansea City

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Date - Wednesday, 13 February 2019
    Kick off - 19.45
    Venue - Elland Road

After a hard-fought, but deserved victory at home against Millwall, next up for Graham Potter and his Swansea squad is a trip to automatic promotion hopefuls Leeds United.

Against Millwall, the Swans created several first-half chances and deservedly led as George Byers struck his first goal for them.

Millwall grew into the game after the break and were within inches of equalising when Jed Wallace volleyed narrowly over.

The visitors had further chances to level, while Swansea's Bersant Celina saw a neat chipped effort cleared off the line, and substitute Oli McBurnie has a couple of chances to extent the home side’s advantage.

The result lifted the Swans up to 11th in the Championship table and kept Millwall 20th.

The win marked the end of an eventful week for the Swans, with long-standing Chairman Huw Jenkins having resigned, in part due to yet another disappointing transfer window which saw 3 players depart depart on deadline day - Bony, Montero and Carroll.

The Jack Army also feared that young Wales winger Daniel James would be sold to Leeds but, on a farcical deadline day in which he spent hours at the Yorkshire club's base, the move collapsed with some suggestions indicating that Jenkins had played an influential role in the deal's breakdown. However, in his programme notes for the Millwall match, Chris Pearlman claimed that the structure of the deal proposed by Leeds did not suit the Swans......

Whilst James returned to the starting line-up for the first time since then against Millwall - and the 21-year-old was typically bright on the right wing as he ran purposely at opposing defenders - it remains to be seen if Potter will select him on Wednesday against the team that sought his signature.

On the same day that the Swans beat Millwall, Leeds United moved to the top of the Championship - albeit potentially temporarily until Norwich play Ipswich at home the following day - as Kalvin Phillips equalised in the 11th minute of injury time against Middlesbrough.

Middlesbrough has seemed certain to bounce back with a victory following their shock FA Cup defeat at the hands of Newport in midweek after Lewis Wing had scored from 12 yards early in the second half.

However, play was held up late in the second half while paramedics tended to Leeds teenager Jack Clarke, who reported feeling unwell after coming off at half-time.

The 18-year-old has been carried off on a stretcher receiving oxygen and taken to hospital as a precaution, but Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa confirmed that he was feeling better in the dressing room.

The delay resulted in 12 minutes being added on and Phillips headed past Darren Randolph in the 101st minute to take his side a point clear of Norwich, who slip to second.

I’m sure all Swans supporters send Jack Clark their best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

The Swans have played Leeds on 37 occasions previously, winning 11, losing 19 and drawing 7.

In the reverse fixture earlier in the season, the teams finished 2-2

Turning to Wednesday evening, I think that the Swans would do well to return with a point, but I expect them to return to South Wales empty handed following a 2-0 defeat <cheers>

2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

I can’t see anything other than a home win.

Unfortunately, Leeds 3 Swans 0.

3. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I think you’re giving Leeds a bit too much credit.......

The last 6 games form table sees us in 8th position and Leeds in17th.
    They are not in form, in fact they’ve lost 5 of their last 7 games - which would have been 6 defeats from 7 apart for an 11th minute of injury time equaliser yesterday !

Although I think they may win, I wouldn’t be so quick to write us off against a team in such poor form.

I’d love to win it just to shut up some of the smugness and abuse I got on their forum over the Dan James transfer from one particular poster who was offended by my EU Flag and basically told to me to go back to where I came from - I think he may be part of the EDL.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I think we will give them a good game and would love a point but can see a 2-1 win for Leeds

5. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

2-2 Pablo James and Ollie

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

@Stereo We have a political Brexit debate running, I’m sure the flag thing was said in jest, I can’t remember who commented on it though.

The James fiasco was sad, we wanted him, he wanted to join. Swans will say the payment schedule didn’t suit them, Leeds will say Swansea messed everyone about. Me personally I think your chairman grew a pair of balls before departing and thought enough is enough, got to admire him for that but moving on...

We are a bit hit and miss at the moment, we’re not playing anywhere near as well as we were at the start of the season. We rarely score more than two goals despite that only once have we failed to score in the league but we’ve conceded too many for a few weeks now.

We haven’t lost yet after scoring first so first goal could be very important. I think it’s going to be close, it’s one we feel we have to win after Norwich turned us over at home so the added pressure might tell.

Should be a good close game <ok>

NorfolkSwan and DragonPhilljack like this.
  7. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I'm curious. Do you guys really believe this?

This is what we've been told:

1. Negotiations took around a month, with various twists & with a couple of days to go, a sale package was finally agreed.
    2. All of a sudden, Swansea rejected the sale in favour of a loan deal. This was quickly negotiated and agreement was reached.
    3. With the agreement in place, the player was allowed to travel north for a medical
    4. Medical & PR shots completed.
    5. 6pm. Leeds attempted to contact Swansea for the final signature before 'putting in the papers'
    6. Swansea staff refused to answer and calls from Leeds, their player, and even Aston Villa, who were being similarly disrespected.
    7. At 11pm, player had to return home. Not one Swansea official had the courtesy to call him or take his call.

Are Leeds & AV fans being told an identical fairy story by their clubs? Is your player making it up? Were all phones in Swansea down (apart from the ones used for the other deals)? And more importantly, imo, have Swansea been guilty of lying? Or is it their player, Leeds & AV that have been lying? And yet, even with all of the video & social media evidence available, Swansea deny any of this happened?

If this series of events is true, then I cannot imagine Swansea doing anything more disrespectful - not just to other clubs, but to their own player. Their own player, FFS!!! And yet this same club were one of the 11 signatories loosely proclaiming that Leeds were not following the Championship Charter, signed by all clubs in the summer to promote respect between the clubs?

Looking forward to your comments, as if it was my club, I'd be absolutely disgusted & would be urging the supporters clubs to pressure the club into telling the truth to the fans. Or are you happy to just accept the highlighted statement above as being the truth & the end of it.

Swansea were so admired by so many for so long for their model & methods of operation on & off the field. What has happened to your club? YOUR club. And what are YOU going to do about it? Where are you going to end up if this continues?

Btw, as a footnote, this is not having a go at you, the supporters. I don't know the ins & outs of your club or who has owned what for how long. All I know is that the reputation of a much-admired club has been totally rubbished by this debacle - and the highlighted statement simply adds an exponential element to the ridiculousness of it all.

8. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Jenkins deliberately scuppered the deal as a final two fingered salute to the Yanks before resigning two days later plus the enevitble sacking that would have occurred.

I’ll happly take a draw!!

9. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Our club is a disgrace at boardroom level, that much we are all as supporters overwhelmingly agreed on, and no very few of us believe the bullshit coming from Pearlman, Our Yankee owners cannot be trusted, they are not football people, and are running the club badly since their takeover in 2016. This transfer saga is just another sorry example of their incompetence, there was no need for us to sell him, he represents our future, but with Jenkins gone, you might well get him in the summer, it looks very much like the Yanks wanted to sell him, and Jenkins scuppered the deal last minute as a parting shot.

We as fans have a rough ride ahead and not much we can do about it all, our Trust is doing it's best, but basically we are screwed at the minute.................................<ok>

10. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I feel for you guys. We've been there, with somewhat different, and perhaps more painful circumstances. The very best of luck for the future (except on Wednesday <laugh>).

It's a travesty for you, but it's affecting other clubs too. Don't know if this is a lever for you to use to fight them. Hope so.

As for the lad, I'm not sure we'll go for him again. Or anyone from Swansea for that matter. Our TW was completely ruined by your club. That only gets to happen once. Other clubs may follow suit, I'm afraid. Your club has proved to be disrespectful, deceitful & being difficult to work with, to put it mildly.

DragonPhilljack and ellandback like this.

11. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

If other clubs don't want to buy our players, that's a huge bonus for us as supporters. Unfortunately that won't happen as no football club has any real morals or ethics. If the talent is that good, then clubs will not cut their noses off to spite their faces. Agents want their money - so deals will continue.

12. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

So true :emoticon-0148-yes:

13. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Swansea City are waiting on the fitness of a trio of players ahead of the midweek trip to face Leeds United at Elland Road.
    Source: Swans Website

Striker Oli McBurrnie, winger Wayne Routledge and full-back Declan John are all being assessed by the club's medical staff before a decision is taken over whether they can play a part on Wednesday night (7.45pm).

Top scorer McBurnie came off the bench in the win over Millwall but has been hindered by illness in recent weeks. Routledge is being monitored after feeling some fatigue in his calf, while John was forced off after taking a knock on his ankle against the Lions.

"Oli has just had a period where he has picked up a few things, so we just have to be careful with him and monitor him," said manager Graham Potter. "He trained lightly yesterday, so we will see how he goes. I think it was tough for him to come on, but we will make a decision for Leeds closer to the time. "Declan is 50-50, he had that contact on his ankle so I am not sure if he can make it, let's see. "Wayne felt a bit of fatigue in his calf, we just want to monitor him because he has had issues with that over the last few weeks."

Club captain Leroy Fer is ruled out as he continues his recovery from a hamstring problem.Joe Rodon (foot) and Martin Olsson (Achilles) remain on the sidelines for the Swans.

Swansea City manager Graham Potter believes Daniel James will relish the chance to play at Elland Road after the collapse of his move to Leeds United. - Source: BBC Sport

Swansea head to Yorkshire to face Leeds on Wednesday - and Potter will have no qualms about using James. The 21-year-old winger was on the brink of joining Leeds on January transfer deadline day only for Swansea to pull out of the deal at the last minute. "I've no concerns about Dan's temperament," said Potter,

"He'll just get on with his football and will enjoy going there. "At the end of the day he's done nothing wrong. He is a footballer who was in the middle of a situation and he's got nothing to apologise for. He's just here to play football. He'll do his best and we look forward to watching him play."

Potter feels James, who put in a solid shift in Swansea's weekend win over Millwall, will thrive on playing in front of the vociferous Leeds crowd. "Players respond to that - certainly players who have a possibility to play at a good level, which Dan has," he added.

James is one of a crop of youngsters who have come to the fore at the Liberty Stadium this season following Swansea's relegation from the Premier League. With a raft of senior players departing as the club cut costs, the likes of James, Connor Roberts, Joe Rodon, George Byers and Oli McBurnie have seized the chance to make an impression.

"If there's no opportunity to show what they can do it's very difficult, but that's what we've been able to create this season and I'm very pleased that collectively they have stood up and taken that opportunity," Potter said. "A big congratulations to everybody at the academy who allows that development to happen. "That allows us to use players who are desperate to play for Swansea City, and that's a great thing to have.”

Potter, meanwhile, says one of Swansea's few senior players, Wayne Routledge, could still be at the club next season. The 34-year-old's current deal expires this summer but he has been in good form of late."It's great for Wayne that he's had that opportunity to play and he's contributed," Potter said. "He is someone we will talk to at the right time and when we have got something to announce, we will announce it."

Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa has confirmed Pablo Hernandez will replace Jack Clarke in the only change from Saturday's draw at Middlesbrough. Clarke is under observation after being taken to hospital during the match.

Gaetano Berardi and Stuart Dallas are building their fitness, while Adam Forshaw (knee) is out for 10 days.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    daimungeezer likes this.
  14. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

3=0 Leeds comfortable win for them I am afraid.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  15. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I fancy us to get a draw! 1-1..................<ok>

16. neveroffsidereff

I’m going for the draw, hope for a win, but can see a loss. :)

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  17. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Although being potentially without Ollie & Routledge they're not doing that well at the moment so why can't we get something up there ,I'd be more than happy with draw

18. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I can see Leeds scoring 2, I don't know how many we'll score though.... ...

19. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Talk about hedging your bloody bets <laugh><laugh><laugh>

20. neveroffsidereff

I know!! One of them will be right!! :emoticon-0142-happy:emoticon-0142-happy