1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson Warns Bristol City Fans.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 18, 2018.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Lee Johnson warns Bristol City fans that there could be a difficult summer ahead
    Head coach replied to question on what might happen in the next transfer window

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson has discussed the upcoming summer and whether star striker Bobby Reid is set to remain at Ashton Gate.

Reid was today named in the PFA Championship team of the year and was asked about his future at the pre-Hull press conference.

And we also enquired about the futures of several other City stars with a difficult summer looming for Johnson and Mark Ashton should the club not be promoted.

Several key players - such as Bobby Reid and Marlon Pack - have just a year left on their deals and have been the subject to transfer speculation.

"I go back to that no player is bigger than the club," said Johnson.

"I think potentially it could be a difficult summer... It could be a very difficult summer. And we have to make some really strong decisions.

"And those decisions may or may not go down well with the fan base," he explained ominously.

"But I can promise that every decision that's made will be for the right reasons for the long term prospects of us getting to where we want to be.

"You look at the Joe Bryan situation and of course you want to keep Joe Bryan as he's a fantastic player, but I think his form has dipped a little bit, and then you look at somebody like Lloyd Kelly coming through and you're just so enthused bout the quality of the young players coming through the academy.

"So yeah, all teams lose players, particularly in this day and age but you have to make sure that you've got the conveyor belt for the next one. Either through the academy or good recruitment," said Johnson.

Of course, this is all worst case scenario, Bristol City fans, and there is still a chance of making the play-offs still.

Johnson also offered an update on Bobby Reid's future as far as he knows.

We asked him if there had been any breakthrough in contract talks with City.

"Not as far as I know. The powers that be are the ones to ask. Obviously it's a strong recommendation from me to keep Bobby at the football club for a number of reasons.

"And that all comes down to the negotiation from the agent and the football club," he explained.

Bristol City meet Hull on Saturday at 3pm.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-warns-bristol-city-1474313

2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

OTIB in semi-meltdown at this.

All this hints at to me is that 1 or 2 are as good as gone, probably due to an enormous fee. Would be gutted to see any of them go, but of all of the players, to me, Korey is the one we would miss the most.

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Remember how we thought we would go down without Tammy?
    We’ll be ok as long as we don’t panic.

4. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Since Tammy :

Djuric,
    Fammy,
    Dionny,
    Woodrow
    Engvall.

Who's panicking ?

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Me, Bobby Reid has not signed his contract and LJ has only put in a recommendation.

RedorDead likes this.
  6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

And yet some of our fans want us to sign someone who can contribute and plays like this.

6C58B1B4-F395-4B87-8807-4F7A52CC2A29.jpeg

7. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

If Premier League clubs come in for Bobby, Aden or Joe it would be wrong to stand in their way - as long as the money was fair

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I agree with LJ when he says, "I go back to that no player is bigger than the club," and I also think it's fair to point out that no manager or headcoach is bigger than the club either.

If the deal is right and club and player are satisfied I agree, move them on, with the 3 lads mentioned it seems we have good younger replacements in place, that has got to be down to LJ and it should be recognised.

9. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

On a humbler level doesn't Bobby Reid do similar? Could that picture of busy and hardworking be a Bristol City player?

Earler in the season Bristol City were busy and hard working. Operating with players high up the pitch closing down opponents.

Now Bobby apart we frequently seen large immobile forwards ambling around. Not busy and hardworking.

Firminio fits Liverpools busy and ultra hardworking style. He is relentless. So is Bobby Reid. Both fit styles, in City's case Bobby maybe less so now because he is having to do more for others who do not fit that earlier picture.

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Quick Lee - sign this guy - goals GUARANTEED!! 1C14217D-CFDE-4162-AC31-36903E0514CB.jpeg

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

12. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Derek McInnes is favourite.... wasn't mine!!
    Not sure I would see the benefit for LJ to take that on if I'm honest........might be tempted by a premier club, but not one that will be in the championship next season.

13. Redprintt

Nothing wrong with your comment smh, however the money we received from Kodjia hasn't been very successfully used.
    They brought in Wright, gave him the 5 shirt and club captaincy to replace Flint last season, and he's not fit to lace Flint's boots.
    They've brought numerous strikers to replace Tammy and none of them are near his equal.
    Sell our best 3 assets that they've had zilch to do with and who's to say their track record will improve and that they wouldn't waste it again.

14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

15. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Bye Bye thank you and we both move on.

16. oneforthebristolcity

Oh and we go and get Pearson do we?? The guy who's done nothing since being booted by Leicester!! Great, can't wait!!

17. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Personally would be surprised if LJ goes to WBA , either that they'd offer him the job , or if they did that he'd take it. Time will tell.

18. Redprintt

I don't think for 1 minute LJ will be offered the WBA job.
    However, if he was offered the job at WBA he'd be mad not to take it.
    He isn't stupid, and it's always best to leave while you're on the up.
    Rumours of having to sell our best players along with the huge parachute payments WBA will receive would make it a no brainer.

And I'm driving him if it's true - steady 1For.

Red Robin likes this.
  19. oneforthebristolcity

I've greased your clutch mate, you ain't going anywhere!!!

Redprintt likes this.
  20. Redprintt

Oh 1For, you're giving our secrets away !