1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Bowyer - new contract signed tonight

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Jun 17, 2019.

1. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

From behind the Times Paywall

Charlton have made an extraordinary U-turn by agreeing to double their offer of a new contract for Lee Bowyer just hours after branding the manager as greedy for rejecting a new deal.

The former England midfield player has signed an amended one-year rolling contract to stay at the Valley next season with his salary increased to over £400,000 as recognition for his efforts in leading the club back to the Championship.

The Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet is understood to have had a change of heart yesterday evening after a backlash from fans following the club’s remarkable statement which denounced Bowyer’s wage demands and branded fellow Championship owners crazy for paying million-pound salaries. The Belgian contacted Bowyer at around 10pm last night asking him to stay with a contract worth almost double his previous offer, and a deal was quickly agreed.

Bowyer had always wanted to stay at Charlton, where he made his name as a player and has impressed hugely in his first management job, stabilising the first-team as a caretaker following the sacking of Karl Robinson last year before leading them to promotion via the League One play-offs.

“We went on a real journey last season,” Bowyer said in a statement this morning. “The club came together — the players, the staff, the fans and we achieved something special. The journey hasn’t finished yet and I’m delighted this has all been agreed.

“This has been a long process and I never wanted to leave, I love this club. I’d like to thank the owner for giving me the initial opportunity and now for continuing to believe in me. We have a fantastic fan-base here and my focus continues to be getting our squad in the best possible shape for the Championship next season.”

Charlton’s change of heart is remarkable, and took place around six hours after Duchâtelet authorised a statement Bowyer of making unreasonable wage demands that are not sustainable at the loss-making club. He has been seeking to sell Charlton for two years, and remains in talks with Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman over a potential takeover, and felt unable to offer more.

“Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September [2018],” the statement read. “It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). But Lee wanted much more.

“The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. The owners are crazy.”

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

At last! 3 Bournemouth players!<cracker><cracker><cracker>

3. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Warnock as already said that this is his last 12 months as a Manager, why would he want that at a new Club?

4. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Talk Sh1te interview -

Talks went on thru the night

Bowyer’s agent wanted 6 times the existing money

That would have stopped RD from selling the club <laugh>

Charlton will lose £15m a year in the Championship <laugh>

Lots of clubs in the Championship are up for sale <laugh>

Asked how close the takeover was ...”not days” and “unclear”.

Jim White really is a waste of rations.

Not one mention of yesterday’s statement on the O/S !

5. User deleted as requested

6. ForestHillBilly

JW's interview would be encouraging to anyone who didn't know him, and didn't know RD. He thinks we're all as gullible as he is.

7. User deleted as requested

“So just to be clear Roland, YOU REALLY WANT TO SELL CHARLTON”

8. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

there was nothing in that interview of any relevance. RD realised what he did yesterday and caved in. Bowyer bent a bit to get the deal over the line - which is perfectly reasonable in negotiation. the problem was RD did not want to negotiate. he wanted to bend bowyer over and shaft him.

RD is still no closer to selling the club. if he was clever and read his own words back, he'd take a £2-5m hit now and sell the club, rather than lose the £15m he claims we'll lose.

RD is staying as he has an ulterior motive. Jim white believing him just shows how dumb he really is.

9. deleted.....

I really really want to sell my Mondeo Estate... and the Belgian has said that I should ask for £100,000 (because I live in London) .... I am surprised I haven't sold it yet because I really really want to sell it :(

Ponders Revisited and Ken Shabby like this.
  10. User deleted as requested

Well over two years since he put the club up for sale..and he is still “unclear” when the club will be sold.

Beware of the virus likes this.

11. ForestHillBilly

I had the same problem. Tried to sell a car with a flat tyre and broken windscreen. I was told to get it fixed and it would be no problem selling it. I said I'm trying to sell it, not spend money on it. I'm still trying to sell it, you've no idea how hard it is to sell a car.

12. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

The past couple of days have been laughable, pure comedy gold.

13. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Ha ha! :emoticon-0140-rofl:

In three days we've got £200,000 out of the old scrote for a young player with potential on a 3 year contract, and now a decent contract (albeit just 1 year) for our best young manager ever.

Roland is rattled, he's on the ropes.
    Battered by the collective fury of Charlton fans.
    Will he fight back with more budget cuts? No more toilet rolls for the academy kids maybe...
    Or is he wandering aimlessly around like a wrinkled little Belgian Anthony Joshua, not really aware right now of where he is or who he is, or what just hit him.

14. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

I've been looking at the social media sites today and reading how great it is that Bowyer has now signed a contract. Whilst this is undoubtedly great news, I can't help thinking that the club has again been dragged through the gutter and we are a laughing stock.

15. The Elfsborg Sparrow

He does more lying than a whore on a Saturday night.

16. deleted.....

We've been a laughing stock for years mate.

17. User deleted as requested

Declare your interest.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  18. The Elfsborg Sparrow

A bit like this board.

19. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Oooh, harsh! :emoticon-0104-surpr

Beware of the virus likes this.
  20. The Elfsborg Sparrow

All gone t**s up since @AllHellLetLoose got mugged by Mr ban Gerwen.