1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Bowyer has a nice plot - but he has resigned

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Feb 26, 2020.

1. The Punter’s Pal

The Punter’s Pal Well-Known Member

@lardiman

I have just read you calling for Bowyer to be sacked in December <yikes>on another forum if things don’t improve :emoticon-0107-sweat:emoticon-0107-sweat:emoticon-0107-sweat

How can you say we are in a slump when we are in touching distance of the automatics, let alone the Play Offs ?

We won 2-0 away at our promotion rivals only last Saturday.

That thread on ITTV is an arse clenching embarrassment to the fanbase. You expect it from the Welsh Wazzock ....but really ????

Whats up Doc and dick plumb like this.
  2. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

I don't remember calling for Lee Bowyer to be sacked.

I posted that if Charlton's slump continues and we drift out of the top 6 and into mid-table, I expect Thomas Sandgaard to sack Bowyer and give another manager a chance to use the January window to get the promotion push back on track.

Would a mid-table finish this season under Lee Bowyer be OK with you then?

3. The Punter’s Pal

“unless Lee Bowyer can turn this slump around by the end of December, Sandgaard should sack him and his support staff”.

You have joined the ITTV Headbangers <doh>

On a serious note , don’t you think you are being a bit impulsive ? We won last Saturday.

4. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

I think it is much too early to sack Bowyer. But he is not above criticism. His selections have been strange to say the least. Every game he rotates the squad. How are you supposed to get continuity with this constant change. I get that players need to be rested but not after one game. We also need to place the players in their proper positions. Just pick your best players and put them in positions they are comfortable with.

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

No, I don't think I'm being impulsive.
    Our squad is not strong enough to gain automatic promotion as it stands, and Bowyer continues to make inexplicable changes to the starting XI.
    How can he justify making 4 changes to the team that beat Ipswich Town?
    He had a winning combination and he just threw it out.

Quid pro quo Clarice...

Will a mid-table finish this season under Lee Bowyer be OK with you?

Ken Shabby likes this.
  6. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

You don't change a winning team.

lardiman likes this.
  7. The Punter’s Pal

A mid table finish would be totally unacceptable, but there’s no indication that is likely. Bowyer is a Course & Distance winner in this league, and this time he has an
    Owner who is backing him.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

A fair reply.
    I hope LB can avoid TS having to fire him. I have nothing against our current manager. Indeed I am still very grateful for his Wembley triumph.
    But the progress made because of that play-off victory has now been lost and we're back to square one.

I agree TS is backing Bowyer. But not out of love for him. Sandgaard expects a return for his backing. Promotion this season.
    After 14 games now (almost a third of this campaign), in my view our squad is unlikely to deliver that return.
    Too many players have been disappointments.

I look forward to featuring on the ITTV thread some time soon <hug>

9. Clb74

Clb74 Well-Known Member

Regarding mid table it depends what happens lardi.
    Our Grandad has had to play 4 games in 10 days out of position.

dick plumb likes this.
  10. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

We should embrace the journey.

lardiman and ForestHillBilly like this.

11. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

As the great Corporal Jones would say Don't Panic.

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I'm in Private Frazer mode at the moment... "We're all doomed!"

The Penguin likes this.
  13. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

All the **** bowyer has gone through, signing players late and all that, he deserves until the summer. If we're midtable fair enough sack him but in my lifetime he's our greatest manager. I was too young to appreciate Curbishley. Snr never took me to premiership games as we couldn't afford it

14. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Football League World has searched out a few extreme comments about LBB's comments on the fans, to give the impression that Charlton fans are "in uproar" over them. Rubbish. Just like the way people still believe that we forced Curbs out because of a few loudmouths on 606. We're in a minislump and more likely to come out of it withBowyer &co at the helm and if the Valley was open it would be full of fans giving LLB their full backing, in the same way as they did when Curbs stepped down.

Ken Shabby and Butterfield like this.
  15. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/s...n-uproar-after-lee-bowyers-dig-at-supporters/

it’s one of the few articles I’ve read where the comments section appears less hysterical than the article.

16. The Punter’s Pal

As a manager it’s pretty clear that LB has his favourites. He has dug out a number of players in public now, and because he’s got away with it seems to think it’s worked and is ok.

I don’t ever remember him digging out Forster Caskey, who in my opinion is one of the most ineffective and largely useless and unfit players in the squad. Gilbey is also very lightweight, and Washington is largely rancid if he’s not contributing goals.

Worse of all is his Hinge & Bracket combination in midfield - Pratley & Watson. A combined age of 70 ....but now clearly his first choice pairing even against poor aides. I’ve never heard a word in public about their poor performances as a pair.

dick plumb likes this.
  17. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

I'd like to know what the dressing room is like. If he's losing it TS will replace him, if not we may get back on track, but atm the players don't look good enough, especially up front. Yesterday Aneke didn't look any better than Bogle. What we don't know is how much of that is due to the way the manager is setting them up and how much is due to basic lack of ability. This is L! and we shouldn't be consistently outplayed in midfield, it's not as though we're up against Kevin de Bruyne. Yesterday the players were treating the ball like a hot potato, and seeing Morgan flying in, getting a yellow, then giving away a penalty suggests to me he's more concerned with avoiding a bollocking than winning the game. What effect will the Williams business have? He can't have much of a future at Charlton after that, but what he did, ie going down because he felt contact coming, was not what you like to see, but actually happens quite a lot. It won a free-kick, and it won Bogle a penalty recently. Bowyer knew that too, and commented on it afterwards. I hope Jacko has a word in his ear, and I hope he listens.

dick plumb and lardiman like this.
  18. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

The players look unrecognisable from the team before the International break. They look scared. Whether Bowyer has lost the dressing room, I have no idea. But something appears to be wrong. I don't know of many good football managers who bollock their players in public. In my eyes nothing good can come of it.
    Bowyer is skating on thin ice.

The Punter’s Pal likes this.
  19. Clb74

Clb74 Well-Known Member

Ain't got a clue what Bowyers up to.
    Keep your head together mate.
    Its happened before and will happen again.
    We were winning with 20 minutes to go and weve tried to hold on for the win.
    That old saying some you win some you draw.

20. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Sir Chris used to do it all the time... 3 CB's for the last 10 minutes if we had a one goal lead.... it was about as effective for Sir Chris as it has been for Mr Bowyer

The Punter’s Pal likes this.