1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lay off Russell Martin plea!

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary-dave, Aug 28, 2017.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I must say I agree with you JM, but I also feel guilty about calling him names because, football apart, he has been a superb ambassador for our club and has single-handedly persuaded several players to join our team rather than another, Alex Pritchard most recently! <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  4. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

He's been a target for most fans for a few seasons now. Ever since he first made the transition to CB. Once they get it in their heads, they won't let it go, so it's futile trying to fight it.

5. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

“In general I will not criticise my players in public. Especially Russ, who is the skipper of the team, a great person who has done a lot for the club,” said Farke. “He has had a really great career and we have to be a bit more respectful in these terms. Listen, I won’t complain about any player.

I don't think many would disagree with this, the problem he's not up to the job in hand, not what he's done in the past or his commitment to the team. To boo your own players is just stupid and says more about the person booing than it does about the player.

I think the club miscalculated when they extended Martin's contract and kept him as captain. I think they thought it would help with stability of the squad and help the new coaching team to bed in. It may well do this, but the danger is that it will create a divide between the fans and the club.

To continue to play Martin is just a triumph of hope over experience. I really hope that Farke has a bit more about him, if not then we have got problems.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Spot on! <ok>

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm getting more than a little worried that DF seems keen to play Martin, as I feel that he has been a weak link in our defensive set up for at least the last 3 years (could even be 4!!!) <yikes>

8. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

The defense is clearly not fit for purpose (including Martin). Whoever decided on the likes of Husband, Zimmerman and Franke must have been badly informed or thought the cheap option would pay off. We all need to be concerned big time

JM Fan likes this.
  9. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

The thing with Husband, Zimmerman & Franke is they are still fairly young (all under 25) and have the potential to improve with good coaching. Zimmerman has done fairly well considering he was probably signed as our 3rd / 4th CB. The problem we have is that we desperately need a competent seasoned campaigner at the centre of defence to build around. For some reason even now the club see Martin (and Klose to a lesser extent) as the person to fulfil the role, despite the evidence that he's not up to it. The club need to invest in one decent CB to build the defence around, we took the cheap option in hoping despite the evidence that Martin would be able to fulfil the role. That decision may well cost us this season like it did the last. They have done the same with the midfield where Hoolahan has been retained as the seasoned campaigner with Tettey, although if the rumours are true, the decision seems to be made that he's not up to the role. Fortunately Hoolahan's still able to perform at this level as long as he's not overused. Upfront we have Jerome and Naismith, although only because we couldn't sell Naismith, as the seasoned campaigners.

For me this link shows fairly well (for me anyway) how the club is trying to balance experience v younger developing players.

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/england/norwich-city-fc/677/

I think the club has pretty much decide to write off this season to development ready for a promotion push next year. Farke (& Webber ?) is very keen on the cups because he knows a good cup run will go some way to placating the fans provided we don't get relegated.