1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lambert

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Resurgam, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Hi all. Happy new year to you all.
    Been a long time since I ventured South and posted on here.

When Lambert was appointed as your manager, I mist admit to being a tad shocked.

I know while he was with us, we thought he walked on water, and definitely took us on a great journey.
    When he decided to leave us, I will admit to being worried where we would end up.

As things turn out, he hasn't seemed to have achieved much at all since leaving us.

So my questions are these..

Was it a case of him and us being right for each other at that particular time?
    Do you think he is the man for you now?
    Can you see any improvement in what he is trying to do since he came to you?

All good natured ribbing aside, I do hope you manage to stay up this season.
    Good luck to you all

2. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

On the face of it, there hasn’t been an improvement (results are about the same as when hurst was in charge). However, he is definitely trying to instal a certain brand of football which is much more pleasing on the eye, unfortunately the players he inherited are not good enough. This is a long term project to fix us and I really don’t see the point of changing managers every couple of months so I would be happy to give lambert the rest of this season and at least all of next to try and get the club moving in the right direction

Southcoastoldgaffer and Spanish like this.
  3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Results and performances have taken a step backward under Lambert. Some will talk about the passing improving but it’s only cosmetic.

Agree that there is no point in keeping changing because player recruitment and retention is one of the big issues. It’s the owner that needs to change.

4. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Underwhelmed. I'll try and weigh this up as best I can - have only witnessed 90 x 2 of Lambert's games due to location ( one live when back, one online ) Clearly he's handicapped by a crap squad and requires some of his own players ( any manager will always want change even if things appear good ) so sure some leeway required.

Positives -
    * Making the right noises to the media.
    * Trying to keep the side consistent.
    * Taking the lead more often in games than before.
    * Kind of manager I think you'd want to play for as a player.

Negatives -
    * You thought Hurst's record was bad, Lambert's is worse. P12 W1 D3 L8. Last 5 away = L L L L L without a goal scored. Always said I'm a results man first and foremost and jesus christ these results are pathetic. We are further away from safety with 11 games less to play. Unbelievable.
    * Tactically naive. First thing you do when you come in as a manager is try to sort the defence out. We were leaking goals from set pieces under Hurst - we appear to be conceding more from open play under Lambert. 1 clean sheet in 12? Poor. Also, both the Bristol City + Millwall games, 1-0 up half time. Both teams make a tactical change at half time - absolutely turns the game on it's head. Lose 3-2 both fixtures. CM shape was all wrong first half against Accrington yesterday, why does it need to wait until half time to change it? Very poor.

Not an awful lot else to say right now. The Reading game I was live at, absolutely superb first half but second half the players were shattered/ poor. Accrington first half was toilet, better second despite a worse result second.

Early days, however if I had to give him a score out of 10 so far, it's a 3 from me. Must do better.

5. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Lambert's comments on the situation.....

"I still believe I can keep this club in the Championship,” Lambert said. “It’s going to take a lot of hard work and I need financial support over the next few weeks of the window, but it can be done.

“I came into this job with my eyes open. I knew it was going to be difficult, but it’s only when you go into the fabric of the club that you truly understand what you are dealing with.

“What has gone on here in the past is not acceptable. There has got to be a lot of changes going forwards.

“First things first, we need more bodies in as fast as possible. I have never had to rebuild a club or turn things around as much as I do here. But I know it can be done.”

As I said before, give the poor bloke a good go at putting things right, the club is in such a mess....it ain't gonna happen overnight!

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Absolute nonsense, this season is over and done with. Staying up would be wonderful of course, but it’s so unlikely now that funds should be available to get a couple of permanent signings in to start building for next year.

It sounds to me as though he has just realised the situation were in and has lost his head.

In one sense it’s a step forward because up until now I just thought he didn’t give a ****.

7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Absolute nonsense is what you talk Hampy.
    I think what Lambert said was quite revealing and honest tbh.
    Just wish Lambert had been with us in the summer instead of Hurst. Couldnt see Lambert spunking £2.5m on the likes of Jackson and Donacian!

itfcptc likes this.
  8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Donacien is a much better footballer than Spence, that's for sure.