1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lambert : I Wasn't Fans First Choice, They Wanted Big Name Manager....

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by NORWICHFANNOTON606, May 7, 2011.

?

With Gunn Gone, Was Lambert Your First Choice?

Poll closed May 11, 2011.
  1. Definitely!!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I Had My Reservations But Thought Lambert Was A Good Choice

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I Wanted A "Bigger Name"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who!?

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Surprised to hear that to be honest, I was happy with the appointment at the time and wasn't looking for a so called "big name".

Lambert had good experience, good credentials and has played at the highest level. Seemed a solid appointment to me.

I had my reservations, I'll admit that, but I have my reservations about every manager and player we sign. Doesn't mean I won'tget behind them 100% and support them until the death.

What is your opinion?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/9477703.stm

2. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I had my reservations about PL although he had done a good job at Colchester United but lets face it, after Gunny the only way was up.

Nothing against Gunny but he was a 'safe' appointment by the board, he was the only manager who was not going to get hammered by the fans if we got relegated (which we did) and would have been a hero if he kept us up.

3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Hi NOTON, I assume you'll edit the other thread, I must admit, I saw this on BBC website and have to agree with him. I, along with many others, had no knowledge of his managerial skills, we all know being a great player does not mean becoming a great manager, but in typical Norwich City fashion, we gave him a chance to show us what he can do! What a revelation! Pure genius in talent recognition, man management and tactical nous. Thank you Paul Lambert, no need to shy away from the plaudits! We love you <cheers>

4. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Being perfectly honest, have to say I had reservations about him as a manager. After the Gunny cop-out option appointment though, was pleased just to be rid! Don't even mention Roeder, who had no rapport with either the players or the fans.

It's just hard to tell, isn't it, when someone is fairly untried. Someone got this appointment so right though!

5. Dave: No idea about the other one, I only posted one to my knowledge...how do I delete the other post?

Agree with everything said. I can still remember how I felt that day, I was shocked that we had moved so quickly to get Gunn out (not least as we usually wait until it's too late to act...!) but felt happy with the appointment - I suppose I had just endured first hand how good Colchester were that day....

6. canary-dave

NOTON - click on edit post - give reason as posted in error, delete, save <ok>

7. Thanks Dave, presume you deleted it for me.

8. canary-dave

9. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

I'll admit until we played Colchester, I'd never heard of Paul Lambert! I will also say, I trusted the board to make the right decision.

10. canary-dave

DM - are you saying you'd not even heard of him as a player?

11. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

In the time he was playing at Celtic I was aged 5 to 12, so no I hadn't heard of him because at that age I don't think I could of named the entire Norwich squad let alone any other team!

12. canary-dave

Sorry DM - I always think everyone is an old git like me <laugh>

13. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

No one is that ****ing old Dave <laugh>

14. I remember him from the Dortmund days (I was 12..ish) in what was a very, very good side...although I could probably only have named 4 or 5 of them then myself.

Was Lambert involved in Euro '96...I'm sure I recall him playing?

I recall 'THAT GOAL' he scored for Celtic too. I lived football then though, if I wasn't playing I was watching it....not changed too much in that sense really.

15. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Well it was the correct one.