1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lack of strikers..

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Markthehorn, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

So in reality we go into next season with 2/3 strikers - one of whom isn't fit and cannot be relied to keep healthy!

Do we think Gracia will go with one up front with play a 443 formation and probably 4-51 away from home.

That might work if Delefeou and Doucouré are fit...but without them we lose a lot of attacking threat.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looking at the pre-season games Gracia appears to have tried various options. The later games would suggest a Deeney-Gray partnership, and there were signs that it just could work. I suspect that he hopes to see some of our goals coming from the wings and mid-field, but with some players missing because they are not fit enough yet, it has become a bit of a guessing game.

Markthehorn likes this.
  3. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Let's hope some goals can come from the wide creative men:

Deulofeu - got a couple of goals in him.
    Roberto Pereyra - could still leave
    Ken Sema - come on Swedish Ken, bag a few
    Isaac Success - is this his season?

Troy Deeney - needs to re find some form after last season.
    Stefano Okaka - breathes out of his ass after 30 mins, is injured now as it is.
    Andre Gray - can the ex scummer come good? He, Deeney, nor Okaka are lone strikers.
    Alex Jakubiak - not really prem quality, is he?

Under-21:

Adalberto Peñaranda - surprise package or another flop? Will he even make the squad?
    Ryan Cassidy - dunno much about the lad
    Michael Folivi - ditto
    Dion Pereira - ditto but we live in hope for these three.

Apart from that it looks like midfielders TC and NC are out for a bit so we are a bit light there too.

I guess the club didn't want to spend too much on a replacement if they think (God I hope so) that the injuries are coming back soon.

4. Markthehorn

We have got a lad in from West Ham who is an attacking midfielder - maybe he will play and impress out of no-where.

I agree OFH - without Doucouré and Delefeou we lack a real goal threat from midfield.

Jakubiak has gone out on loan now it seems - wasn't the answer anyway.

5. Mexican Hornet

He's only 18, so think we must pin our hopes on TD9 and AG.

6. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

I really thought we’d bring someone in for 20-25m who would have a good chance of getting 12-15 goals for us. I am worried about the attack now. Gray and Deeney really need to get 8-10 each from open play or maybe Penaranda can really step up. Is the work permit definitely OK for him??

7. Mexican Hornet

Good question - http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sp...g-but-says-youngster-can-feature-this-season/ still up in the air apparently...

8. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I am really worried now. No sign of Okaka in pre-season (injured?) so we essentially have 2 fit first team strikers, plus a rag bag of forward minded midfielders, fringe players (Oulare?) and youth players. That doesn't look great even when Okaka, Deeney and Gray are all fit, but what if Deeney/Gray get injured or sent off? We will basically have zero options and no one on the bench to bring on and change things.

I have to think that either the management had people lined up that they fully expected to sign but pulled out at the last minute, they expect some of those youth or fringe players to be capable of stepping up, or they think some of the attacking minded midfielders (e.g. Success) are going to play a striker role. I am not convinced.

9. Markthehorn

Okaka seems to be in training now but for how long?

Oulare has had an operation - another one injured.

We were one of the clubs who voted against moving the transfer window - maybe this shows why!?

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Never mind lack of strikers - I think Capoue is about our only fit centre midfielder.
    Are the club looking to be relegated?

11. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

I hope they give a Deeney/Gray partnership a try - if they can find an understanding, then it could become pretty good.

If we do go with them, I kind of struggle to see a place for Hughes though, when everyone is fit. If we play 4 across the middle, I imagine the first choice 4 will be Pererya (Sema?) - Doucoure - Chalobah - Delofeu. That is a very good midfield.

Assuming Okaka stays and Peneranda gets his work permit, I can see they'e the back up and also why we didn't push hard for a new striker - not so much the quality but our squad is simply too big to be bringing in many more players (I think we still have maybe 5 over the 25 limit as it is)

As much as I liked the early transfer window I think it was silly to bring in when the rest of Europe hasn't.

brian_66_usa likes this.
  12. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i think he will start with a 4-4-2 and see what happens. It's a real problem but our midfield scored more than the strikers last season so hopefully they will be on target again this season!

13. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

I am also the least optimistic this season for our chance of survival. Not bringing in another forward could really cost us.The season is starting about two weeks to early for our midfield and will be patched up for Brighton. No TM & NC is a big blow with AD struggling also to make team. Add to that last seasons awful away goal scoring stats under Garcia and it could be a long painful season.

14. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I did see some figures somewhere recently that showed that if you had a sound defence, then you could be safe from relegation. I can see that it is true, a minimum of a point a game would effectively get you over the line, but it will not happen that way. I suspect that the Pozzos probably did try to get a striker in, but the deal didn't come off. There is little point in buying one if you don't think he will be better than what you already have. We will find out shortly if Deeney and /or Gray can do the business.

15. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Just read the book 'The Numbers Game' . Removes all the twaddle about strikers keep you up, scoring just before half time is good. All rubbish! Defence keeps you up. Also, 1 goal a game will keep you up.
    Strikers doing well is exciting which is what the meejah want. Staying up is what WE want.

16. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Is it correct we can still bring in players on loan until 31st August? If so they probably have a couple of guys in mind.

17. Markthehorn

Sadly not us - only EFL clubs .

18. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

But Europe clubs can buy or loan our players

Markthehorn likes this.
  19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Given the state of our currency, our players are looking cheaper by the minute. ;)

20. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

10% in the last 3 months .The good thing our owners can always say no (unless there is a release cause ) but the bad thing is do we keep a player that wants to go ?