1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Knight of Noir

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Sir Barney Chuckles, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

The membership might want to have a close look at this 9YO gelding who has, surprisingly to some, been given an entry in the ‘Stayers Hurdle’ (incidentally can the mods set up a yellow and red card system re anyone who refers to the race as the ‘World Hurdle’ from here on in!).

Knight of Noir has had 20 runs, to date, in the NH sphere, these runs split almost evenly between the barns of the Pipe’s and Neil ‘Mullers’ Mulholland (throughout that time, and even now, he has though remained in the same ownership). The old boy is a 5 time winner and has finished in the first 2 home on 50% of his runs.

3 out of Knight of Noir’s last 4 runs have been in novice chases where he has established a respectable formline of -221 and a perching of 142. That win, and his last run, was on the final day of October and the horse he beat by 3.5 lengths has since gone on to finish -212 which includes a 16 length thrashing of Carruthers and Coneygree’s brother / half-brother, Flintham, and a runners-up berth at Listed level. These form tie-ins show Knight of Noir’s fledgling form over the big ‘uns to be most promising.

The pivotal and key form line though re this horse, and the Stayers Hurdle, has to be his scintillating 5 length defeat of Beer Goggles (when receiving 5 lbs) at Aintree in May ’17. Knight of Noir showed this to be no fluke, a month later, when following up, by 8 lengths (conceding a whopping 26 lbs to the runner-up), off a 10 lb higher perch. Knight of Noir has a hurdles rating of 147 but the vanquished Beer Goggles has subsequently gone on to boost his figure to 159 as he’s subsequently obliged twice over timber – including at Grade 2 level. It’s no stretch of the imagination to say had Knight of Noir remained over hurdles he too could have achieved a similar rise (his ensuing form over fences shows he hasn’t regressed in the slightest). Meanwhile, I’d discount his subsequent run over timber at Cartmel, in August, as this would appear far from his true running and was his only blip since March last term.

Knight of Noir has moved to the county and the barn of Michael Blake who does remarkably well with the limited animals within his ranks. This horse though, to my knowledge, would be the highest rated they have ever had. The yard aren’t known for ‘tilting at windmills’ so I’d take this entry very, very seriously, people. I did slightly fear it had been owner driven (him looking for a day out amongst the high rollers) but Mr Clifford has no history of such behaviour despite having owned racehorses for a long time. So this ‘theory’ can probably be discounted. Meanwhile, the Blake stable has a Cheltenham Festival formline of -5P. The 5th was an excellent run in the ’16 Fred Winter (beaten just 5 lengths at 50/1) whilst the ‘P’ was in last terms Bumper and in hindsight the animal should have been withdrawn by either the saddle monkey or vet (not THAT vet incidentally) having got worked up in the preliminaries and parade and arrived at the start awash with sweat and in a most agitated state. It should also be noted that they have had a winner, at the course, already this term – Coole Cody who was victorious at the ‘Open meeting’ at 25/1.

Ground seems to matter not a jot to Knight of Noir as he’s won on sod ranging from good to heavy. His formline at Cheltenham reads a healthy -229. Both runners-up spots, were narrow defeats, when conceding 15 lbs to the winner and the 9th was in the 23 runner Pertemps Final in ’16.

I think since the turn of the old millennium we have been hugely spoiled in the ‘Stayers Hurdle’ via the likes of Baracouda, Inglis Drever, Bigs Bucks and Thistlecrack but this year’s renewal looks very moderate by comparison, at this stage, and looks most open with nothing seemingly standing out and many of the runners looking ultra exposed and ‘much of a muchness’. You also have the fact that notables such as Faugheen and Apples Jade are likely to run elsewhere. With this in mind I don’t think Knight of Noir needs to find a huge amount to figure and could certainly slip into a place if running a personal best. On a line through his run with Beer Goggles it could even be claimed he, actually, has to find very little and is therefore a leading player.

Look do I think he will be in the ‘winners enclosure’ before the other runners have started ‘The Kate Bush’ (i.e. running up that hill)?!? No, of course not. Look do I think Knight of Noir should be a 6/4 shot?!? Nope. But I do, most deffo, think the current 100/1 (available NRNB) is a huge price and greatly underestimates the horse. I do view that NRNB concession important though as there has to be the possibility connections could go down the handicap route as well at the meeting – although he’s not qualified for the Pertemps Final this time around.

Any thoughts, team, on what I find to be a most interesting, intriguing and sporting entry?!?

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

My one fear is that he's been shuffled from one yard to another, then onto another.

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  3. Sir Barney Chuckles

You may be right, Cyc. Or alternatively the latest move could freshen Knight of Noir up and bring about further improvement. You pays your money and takes your pick!

Cyclonic likes this.
  4. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Entered in the Ultima on day 1 too. Looks well handicapped for it and is available at 40/1 (NRNB). Absence of a run since October would be a negative for me though.

5. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

blake gets them primed at home , so abscense is not necesssarily a hinderance

6. Sir Barney Chuckles

Yeah, intriguing entry (I did wonder if they might have gone Close Brothers and Coral Cup as well, re the handicaps, but I suppose both are a bit on the 'short' side for the horse). Interesting looking on Oddschecker that you can get 40/1 (NRNB), for Knight of Noir re the Ultima, but Ladbrokes go just 25/1 (without the concession)! What do they know, has to be the question.

7. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

I don't doubt that he'd be fit enough Rudey and always keep an eye out for Blake's runners. However the rough and tumble of a 24 runner handicap with half the field 'well in' can't be prepared for at home in my opinion.

8. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

just to confirm , he sent Captain George out at wolves tonight 20/1 winner ...

9. Sir Barney Chuckles

By my counting Knight of Noir is number 44 following the release of the weights for the ‘Ultima’ so needs 20 to come out for him to get a run in this handicap (max field 24) should connections opt to run him in this rather than the ‘Stayers Hurdle’.

Knight of Noir remains a best price of 40/1 (NRNB) and 100/1 (NRNB) for these respective heats.

10. Sir Barney Chuckles

I don’t know if people have noticed but the ‘Ultima’ has Cut Up with a capital ‘C’ and a capital ‘U’. So much so in fact that Knight of Noir has risen in the rankings, for the contest, from number 44 to number 21 after yesterday’s latest ‘confirmation’ stage. He is now guaranteed a run (top 24 get in) if connections opt to go down this route.

40/1 (NRNB) is available in one place but generally Knight of Noir is now a 25/1 or 33’s (NRNB in both instances) chance for the ‘Ultima’. The next ‘confirmation’ stage for the ‘Stayers Hurdle’ is tomorrow. For that Sunbets are standout at 150/1 (NRNB) but in general he remains a 100/1 (NRNB) shot.

11. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

I quite like the Ultima angle. I don't like the Stayers option at all.