1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

KLD Showing intent/standards straight away

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Whiteleas Wanderer, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Whiteleas Wanderer

Whiteleas Wanderer Well-Known Member

Taken from the daily mail, sorry couldn't seem to link it!
    Sunderland's home may become the Stadium of Floating Lights, after the club’s new owner made installing a state-of-the-art playing surface one of his priorities.

Kyril Louis-Dreyfus, French heir to a billionaire fortune, is the youngest chairman in England at 23 and is keen to make his mark. The pitch has come in for heavy criticism from boss Lee Johnson and Louis-Dreyfus is ready to fork out £500,000 to sort it out.

He plans to install the same HT Pro hybrid turf system as at Tottenham’s impressive home. The surface will have an integrated pitch-grow lighting system, with lights suspended above the pitch from rails at either end, so it never comes into direct contact with the grass. Grow lights are used in most large stadiums, where stands and partial roof coverings restrict sunlight. However, most use wheel-on structures which can damage the playing surface.

2. Millfield Maestro 1879

Millfield Maestro 1879 Well-Known Member

This guy really isn't scared to splash the cash and its great to see. It's also really sad though as a few years ago this news wouldn't interest us but my word its exciting today!

3. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Saw a documentary on Discovery about Tottenham's stadium and the pitch is truly state of the art. Getting that installed will be incredible.

What a time to be at the club for the groundsmen and staff etc who have had years of cuts and must have been miserable and are now being catapulted into a world of excellence.

4. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

Looking at the bigger picture this will be all part of looking to attract a better calibre of player and staff to the club. He’s saying look at Sunderland AFC we are a professionally run outfit and you could do worse than join us.

5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We were actually one of the first clubs to get involved with pitch growth lighting rigs etc, just that we stuck with the 20 year old wheel one and didn’t move with the times.

Things like this point to a forward thinking owner who has plans to modernise the club from top to bottom, it’s exactly the kind d of attention to detail we want to see.

I keep repeating, but it looks like we’ve got a really good one here. It genuinely does, even without Mackem tinted geps.

6. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear his interview at HT tomorrow.

7. Millfield Maestro 1879

Millfield Maestro 1879 Well-Known Member

For me he has made one of those gestures that shows how serious he is. I mean in the grand scheme of things it wasn't essential as the old lights hadn't been used in the past year until recently and we were just happy they were being used again and we would have accepted that as enough to get the pitch in better condition. This is going a hell of a lot further and is a real statement.

The knock on effects of stuff like this will be felt through the whole club but also advertises us to potential sponsors as well as potential players as a club which is now professionally run and somewhere you want to be around

8. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Never been interested in who owned the club until now, KLD is about as cool as football can get.

9. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
    Genesis 1:1‭-‬3 NIV
    https://bible.com/bible/111/gen.1.1-3.NIV

10. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

Posted this in the takeover thread as well.

video detailing the tech in Spurs pitch.

11. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

You would like to think that with these improvements, with the plans to be at the leading edge of sports science mentioned previously that it would allow us to attract a better standard of player.

I'm really hoping the days of us filling the squad up with journeyman, here for a last pay day type players are soon to be behind us.

12. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

nope, it was Bon Scott!!

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Just screams of professionalism and foresight doesn’t it?

When was the last time we said that about our beloved club?

14. Blond Bombshell

Wish I'd seen him live

15. Evil Jimmy Krankie

As if proof were ever needed.

16. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i did...'79 iirc and not long before he died, newcastle mayfair...they never seemed the same after that but still good.

17. clockstander

Did you see Led Zep there?

18. Blond Bombshell

Just missed them, got into the Sunderland Mayfair scene from 80 onwards

19. clockstander

10 Years After (me) <laugh>

20. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Me as well. First proper album I ever bought was Highway To Hell. Bought it in Boots in the town centre on cassette about a week after it was released. I think I was either 12 or 13 at the time. First time I saw them live was in 1983 at Newcastle City Hall on the FTATR(WSY) tour. I still have a memory of Brian Johnson banging the bell to start off Hells Bells. The other thing I remember as well was seeing an old couple about three rows behind me. Rumour was that it was Brian’s mam and dad.