1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kieren fallon retires

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by floridaspearl, Jul 4, 2016.

1. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been recognised but the master has retired due to depression. A sad day for me, one of the finest jockeys we will ever see who had a colourful career. For me his finest ride winning the 2008 arc on hurricane run scything through the field from last to first. And what field it was.
    Get well soon and good luck Kieran.

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

It must be a terrible thing to suffer major depression. To not be able to escape the pain must be a crushing burden.

3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

4. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Was one of my all time favourite flat jockeys. The fact he felt the need to cover up his illness with various stories is indicative of society's lack of acceptance of mental illness, which is still construed by as many as a 'weakness'. One thing the story reiterates to me is how brave and courageous was young jump jockey Mark Enright to come out and admit his problems many months ago. A very brave young man taking that route, when we see the length others go to conceal it. I'm sure there's many in the weighing room suffering in silence. It is a tough,and for many, an unrewarding job from a financial and family point of view.

5. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Very sad to hear his problems. He wasn't the prettiest of jockeys but hugely effective. I wish he'd have stayed with Stoute back in 2005. The move to Coolmore seemed to be the start of major problems for him and don't know why.

6. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

Very nice to hear the comments re depression on this thread. I can 100% sympathise with Fallon as I've had depression for years and have told only a small handful of friends and some family. Even my brother and sister don't know.

To be honest half the stigma is in your head but you do get some uneducated cretins who like to make jokes about it. Mental health in general is under funded in the UK and can be crushing to those impacted - the people with the illness and most importantly, those who try their best to support them daily. If you know someone with depression it's just as useful to look after those immediate family members as it is the ill person.

I hope he gets the help he needs but from my own experience I can confidently say it takes far too long to receive consultations and treatment, there's too many steps to take, appointments to attend and hoops to jump through for people who feel dejected, worthless, a burden, tired through many sleepless nights and generally lethargic and demotivated. It's not like a broken leg etc where you know the problem and can see how to fix it. It is far more complicated than that. I know from experience the effort it takes to call a doctor and organise a first gp appointment. Then to actually attend that appointment is a huge mental effort even though it seems an easy task for the majority. Imagine doing that 6 or 7 times before you get any treatment.

Jonny Murtagh sounded like a mindless, naive prat with his comments the other day and it shines through that he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

floridaspearl and SaveTheHumans like this.