1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kenny's response to Danny Murphy's comments.

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by KingPepeReina., May 26, 2011.

1. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

I wrote an article a while back dismissing comments made by Danny Murphy a while back.He said that ''Liverpool were playing well because they weren't playing under any real presssure''.As much to say ''What happens when they are under pressure''.
    My point is that Liverpool are always under pressure.
    Here is what Kenny had to say in response.
    Liverpool's Kenny Dalglish responds to Murphy's 'little pressure' claim• Murphy pointed out Reds had played 'under very little pressure'
    • We played fantastic that night against Fulham, says Dalglish.
    'He should know there is always pressure here. He played here long enough, didn’t he?' Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, said of Danny Murphy. Photograph: Paul Harding/Action Images
    Kenny Dalglish has taken Danny Murphy to task after the Fulham captain claimed Liverpool have to prove they can perform under pressure when they bid to return to the Champions League next season.
    Liverpool were transformed in the second half of the season under Dalglish, rising from 12th when he replaced Roy Hodgson as manager in January to sixth and only missing out on the Europa League after losing their final two matches. Among several impressive performances was a 5-2 win at Fulham on 9 May, after which Murphy praised his former club's revival but claimed Liverpool's woeful start to the season had allowed them to play without pressure in the final months.

When asked if Liverpool could challenge for the title in 2012, Murphy replied: "It's hard to say because they have been playing under very little pressure. They haven't needed to go out and win games, and everything they get now is a bonus. It will be a different ask for those players to play under pressure every week if they are near the top, but with Kenny in charge and a few more additions they will be pushing for the top four again."

Dalglish is unhappy with that evaluation, however, and has rebuked a player who championed Hodgson's credentials for the Liverpool job that he sought last summer. The Liverpool manager said: "He [Murphy] should know there is always pressure here. He played here long enough, didn't he? I just know that we played fantastic that night against Fulham and so does he.

"There's always a caveat in there somewhere, isn't there? There's always somebody that asks a question. But if you take any pride in your work, you are under pressure in any walk of life. It's not just exclusive to football. You worry about their ability to play first, and I'm sure the players can handle anything else that comes with it."

Dalglish says he did not want the season to end having won 10 of 18 Premier League games since taking charge. "The season has only been a short one for myself having come in in January," he said. "You don't feel ready for a holiday and want it to continue. There will be plenty of enthusiasm in July when we come back."

Having confirmed Liverpool will be in the market for top‑quality additions this summer, the Scot is adamant he will have a squad capable of handling and fulfilling expectations next season. "The expectation is for everybody to build on what has happened since January, have a good summer and go into every game with the same attitude and commitment as we have shown since January. If you put those things in place, then we aren't going to be too far away.

"Everyone is looking forward to next season, which wouldn't have been the case if we had stayed 12th. The fans are looking forward to it and so are the players. The disappointment of earlier in the season doesn't do them any harm, because once you win a couple of games you see how enjoyable it is. We only need to show improvement, and that will be a successful season. If we improve on what we've done this season next season, then I don't think anybody can be disappointed."

2. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

To be fair to Danny Murphy he was asked the question and gave a reasonable answer. Yes, there's always pressure playing for a top club, but it's obvious he meant the focused pressure of win-or-bust games and let's be honest, that pressure came in the Europa and the Spurs game for Europa qualification, when we have to admit the team didn't live with it.

Then again, there was a lot of pressure on the Chelsea and Utd games and they pulled those off very well.

3. KingPepeReina.

Regarding the Spurs game,Liverpool ran out of legs.If more of the senior players had to have been available,I reckon it would have been different.As for the EL.Its all a work in progress and still is.Kenny has identified what he needs and I reckon this summer is going to be one of signing ''Quality not quantity.''.
    The squad is going to be more formidable next season thats for sure and better equipped to tackle such issues.Gerrard himself has said when he comes back,he's going to be better than ever.
    I'm sticking to my initial time-frame,that Liverpool will be champions within 3 years.This is going to be one big summer.

4. citycityhull

citycityhull Well-Known Member

Well said kingpepe, liverpool only have Riena, Johnson, Carra, Agger,Skirtel, Gerrard, Lucas, Meriles, Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll who are top quailty players, that gives you no real talented back up. On top of that Gerrard and Agger were out against Spurs (cant remember if Carroll played)

That isnt a dig at all,you have some talented youngsters coming through, and with 5-6 talented players coming in the summer I think you will be up there.

As for having no pressure, that is ridiculous, listen to Gerrard or Carras interviews, the club makes its own pressure. Only a win is ever good enough.

5. KingPepeReina.

Excellent point.
    Thats why Kenny and DC have identified what they call ''strong players''.Established players that will compliment what he already has and will ease the burden on the youngsters.Possibly there could be 4-5 of them.To suggest that all of them will start at the same time would only be something that Man City would do and is incredibly stupid.