1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kean vs. Ince

Discussion in 'Blackburn Rovers' started by SAF dried my hair, May 8, 2012.

1. SAF dried my hair

Which one is the worse manager?

Kean: G65 W17 D14 L34 Win % 26.15
    League position 19th

Ince: G21 W6 D11 L4 Win % 28.57
    League position: 19th

Stats slightly in Ince's favour but he had much better players of the two. He took over a team that had finished 7th the previous season, while they were 13th when Kean took over and looking nothing like the team challenging for Europe and difficult to beat that Ince inherited.

The point I'm making, I find it kind of odd to compare the public opinion regarding the two. When Ince was sacked there was a huge outcry, every man and his dog called it harsh and how Ince deserved more time. But I don't think you'll find anyone whose last name is not Rao who thinks Kean is good enough for the job, neutrals and club fans alike.

Not trying to defend Kean, he's rubbish who should have done the honourable thing months ago, just funny much PR and popularity can make a difference between two equally terrible managers.

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

The key thing is played 21. Far too few to make a valid judgement.

3. SAF dried my hair

That's half a season. How long is enough to make a valid judgement? Two seasons? Three? Who knows in what division they'd been by then. Managers need to earn their time, and I think it was perfectly reasonable to expect that a squad of players who had missed out on a UEFA cup spot on the last day of the season would not be heading towards relegation. You can't really argue that his time at the club was nothing short of shambolic and that's exactly why it was cut short. At this day and age an important quality for a manager is be able to hit the ground running, you can't have long-term plans if the club is going to hell next week.

4. Plastique Bertrand

Plastique Bertrand Well-Known Member

I think Kean did an ok job. Blackburn haven't many quality players or seen much investment. If it wasn't the impending financial doom ( I assume due to low attendances for a PL club) a stint in the Championship wouldn't be so bad.

5. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

Steve Kean has less hair but he has two straight looking eyes - that 'Nookie Bear' effort that Ince has is rather upsetting.

I couldn't ever concentrate on what he was babbling about coz I was wondering where his eye would be going next.

Hope this helps.

6. Le God

Le God Member

Wrong. The key thing is Ince had a much better squad at his disposal.