1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kalvin Phillips

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ristac, Nov 28, 2021.

1. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Someone on FB pointed out Phillips has changed all his social media headers and avatars from him in a Leeds shirt to himself in an England shirt. Another person then pointed out that he did this back in June, it wasn’t recent.

Him possibly being unhappy at Leeds is starting to gather momentum and no doubt many are looking for a problem that isn’t there but I’ve watched last weeks interview again and he was definitely holding back when asked why he was being asked to play CB against Spurs, he doesn’t look his usual cheerful self.

Now Bielsas explanation about Phillips being the best person to man mark Kane who likes to drop back and make runs forward totally makes sense, Phillips first half had him in his pocket. Again though a great tactician tweaked it in the second half and it was a different story.

I’m probably being as bad as the rest and maybe there isn’t a problem but I’ve a feeling he wants a move away in the summer and he’s looking to add a “reason” other than ambition to win trophies.

Bielsa has made Phillips the footballer he is, there is no doubt about that but has Bielsa took this group as far as possible? Are we going to lose Phillips and Raphinha no matter what or would a fresh coach along the lines of an Antoni Conte make the difference (I know we can’t get him). Would Bielsa committing to another 12 months make a difference?

I’ve forgot what it feels like to be struggling the wrong end of the table, what it’s like to watch a shambles of a performance a few times, what it’s like to fear your best players are going to be sold. Does anyone else feel we’re fast approaching a very major defining moment on the way the club moves forward?

2. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Who is this Kelvin you speak of? <whistle>

3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can I blame auto spell ;)

4. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

At the start of the season, I said regardless of how we do this season, that I feel it will be Phillips, Raphinha and Bielsa's last season with us and we will need a big overall in the squad, how that's done is the key, will we get all the money put back in the squad, who will be the manager and what players will we get, let's face it we are low in numbers and to replace those 2 and build the squad we would probably need 8 or 9 players, that won't be easy. Obviously a lot will depend what division we are in.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Kalvin Phillips sees Bielsa as a father figure and is in awe of the man. He knows his career would have been elsewhere, probably sent out on loan like some of his mates to lower league clubs. He will never say anything bad about Bielsa and these pundits, many who I name checked on the weekend debate, are fukwits

Another fact is that kalvins gran who sadly passed recently told Kalvin at his last contract signing that she would do him damage if he ever signed for Man Utd. She also said Kalvin would probably want to see out his career at Leeds. Do not underestimate how Kalvin sees his family and remember he would hate to be miles away from his mum and his twin sister and brother

Jammy 07 and ristac like this.
  6. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Kalvin happily played CB in the Championship. There's no story.

The bigger story is that Phillips has been on the piss after Spurs and come back with a head injury. Bielsa will hate that. Hooking him at half time yesterday might be an attempt to bring him back down a peg or two.

7. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

If he was to leave, where would he go, I could only see him going to a team in the CL, is he good enough to get in the Citeh or Chelsea team possibly not, Liverpool maybe, then the also rans Scum would be a no no I would think, West Ham have Rice, Spurs don't have the finances, so other than going abroad I can only see Liverpool being a realistic destination but again I don't think they have that amount of wedge for one player.

If they stay up I wouldn't be surprised to see Newcastle come in with a daft money offer though.

8. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

Lots of FB comments (and some from pundits) about KP being put out because he wants to play like he does for England and Leeds 'as an attacking midfielder' - shows how little some people know.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    foolee and Doc like this.
  9. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

If Saint Philip's wants to leave and is getting too big for his boots then he can **** off. There have been better players than him who have left this club and the club is still here. I know it's only speculation on him being unhappy. But he should remember that not so long ago he was the one the club were going to sell but Viera got the chop instead. If Bielsa puts you in goal you shut up and play in goal. As a certain Scot said, side before yourself.

10. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I do think a lot of it is pure speculation Shaks and there's nothing concrete to say he wants out but and this is only a hunch, I think a few of the team are starting to show signs of frustration, whether that be tactics or annoyance at others contribution to the team I don't know.
    I think the mistake yesterday was we only needed to bring Raph into the team that started against Spurs.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I think it says more about the pundits as former players, who say they would be banging on the managers door because of the way he was dragged off. Kalvin will probably end up saying something to rubbish him being upset..

12. NostradEmus

I actually think he would be the perfect replacement for Fernandinho at City.

leeds down south and ristac like this.
  13. Irishshako

I know it could all be a load of bollocks. On a different note I thought Robert's played well. I'm not one of his biggest fans, but he at least hit the target and made the keeper work.

14. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Frustration is the name of the game.
    Down to the manager to sort out.
    Too many players playing square pegs
    Down to the managers small squad
    Winning ways will help sort it out
    Down to the manager to sort out

Makemstine Roger and ristac like this.
  15. Irishshako

So what you're saying its down to the manager:biggrin:

FORZA LEEDS and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  16. Irishshako

Forgot what I was going to say

17. NostradEmus

Roberts was awesome when he came on. Him and Meslier were probably our best players.

History shows we will have to endure another 10 ****e appearances before Tyler shows that again.

18. Irishshako

<laugh>

19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wondered this myself, a fine line too between remembering we’re all human. I think back to Pablos messy end, Pontus being sold, Bielsa isn’t the forgiving kind

NostradEmus and Brizzlewhite like this.
  20. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

Maybe it's not so much that Phillips wants away? Could it be there have been decisions already made? I've no idea in reality but something just doesn't feel right. I know he lost his gran who was a big influence in his life but she was always there to help him through things.

Irishshako, FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.